Lost all motivation, need help

Options
I used to be a complete health nut and would maintain at 107lbs easily at 5'2. For the past few months I've just been feeling so tired and gained about 10lbs. I hate the way I look in the mirror and it makes me want to work out even less now because I feel disgusting. I belong to this awesome gym with really nice, fit people and it makes me feel worse about myself. How did you pull yourself out of your rut?

Replies

• melissat888250
    melissat888250 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I pulled out of my rut by figuring out that the only way I'm going to feel better about my body is to work on it. I joined an all women gym so that I don't feel as self conscious, but if you have a gym membership already just put in your headphones and get to work! :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm on a roll right now, but I do fall into a rut quite often. Right now what's helping me out is the dress I have to wear in a wedding in August. I fear looking like a pork sausage. Also I have told myself that it's "determination" not "motivation". Motivation implies external resources, I have to look within myself and JUST DO IT. Cliche I know, but a lot of it is mental right? And the mind is a powerful thing. I also "fake it 'til you make it". I'm going back to a bodybuilding gym in June due to convenience, and I am SO self conscious there, but I put my headphones on, and I fake the fact that I belong there. Having a dream/goal board works well too, mine is full of super fit women covered in tattoos, because that's going to be me :) Cut out newspaper clippings, magazines, print off motivational sayings or clothes that you want to buy and paste it on a poster board. OR find a new exercise, discover something new like a class you've always wanted to take, or a new gym routine, new running route or a new gym partner. Yoga is my latest discovery, I go to drop in classes 2 days a week just to find out what different poses are, and I found my new work out partner there. Pinterest health and fitness boards are also great motivators. Good Luck! You'll be fine :flowerforyou:
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid levels checked, they may be low if this has been going on for months.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the "fake it til you make it" theory....so, when I feel "in a rut", I still GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS as if I:

1. LOVED getting my exercise in;
    2. LOVED eating in a calorie-deficit;
    3. LOVED getting more sleep,

etc., etc.

For me, getting to the gym is the hardest, but once I'm there, I am golden. So, without fail, I take M/W/F lunches and go lift instead of eating.

For me, calorie-deficits can become taxing, so I make sure that I have 2-maintenance-calorie days, PER WEEK, and I also strongly focus on drinking LOTS of water and NOT permitting any late-night snacking.

I really hope you get some good ideas out of this thread....because just "quitting" cannot be any good option!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I put my big girl panties on and do it. I decide what do I want more? Gain weight or lose it? I make a choice.

6dbe1be792254150ecc851449281ce26.jpg
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I used to be a complete health nut and would maintain at 107lbs easily at 5'2. For the past few months I've just been feeling so tired and gained about 10lbs. I hate the way I look in the mirror and it makes me want to work out even less now because I feel disgusting. I belong to this awesome gym with really nice, fit people and it makes me feel worse about myself. How did you pull yourself out of your rut?
    I pulled myself out of the rut because I felt the same way you feel now. I don't like it when I get winded walking up a couple flights of stairs, or when bending over to tie my shoes is uncomfortable. I don't like the way I look in pictures of me that friends posted on Facebook. I think to myself, "I didn't realize I am that big!"

It's easy to fall off the wagon, but at some point, you have to want it bad enough to get back on.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Never give up, whether it has to do with losing weight, seeking employment or a relationship. Life is tough at times. Failure is temporary, giving up is permanent.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    During the winter months, when I get almost no sun exposure, my Vitamin D levels need to be supplemented or else I feel depressed, tired, and non-motivated to do *anything* - much less work out and diet. I take 2000 IU daily in the winter. This is from a website I found through a search - vitamin d deficiency symptoms dot com :

"Obesity is also related to low vitamin D levels. According to recent researches, low levels of vitamin D can prevent a person from losing weight. Many people who have successfully treated D deficiency say that it is much easier to lose weight when vitamin D levels in blood are normal. This is very true; according to just one of the studies, women who had low levels of vitamin D before dieting had difficulties losing weight.

Some of the most common causes include:

Poor diet. If you don’t consume enough foods that contain this vitamin, you will be at greater risk of developing this condition. You can solve this problem by consuming more vitamin D-rich foods, like animal meat, eggs, fish oil and dairy products.

Limited sun exposure is one of the major causes of vitamin D deficiency. You should spend nearly twenty minutes in the sun (or longer, if you are dark-skinned), several times a week. People who live in cold weather countries are at greater risk, because they just don’t spend time in the sun. In such cases, sun showers are used as an alternative to sunrays. Of course, before you decide to use this device, talk to your dermatologist!

People whose kidneys cannot convert this vitamin into the active form are also at risk. This happens as we age. Older people often have this problem.

Being overweight is another risk factor. However, people who already have low vitamin D levels, and also have problems with obesity, can have difficulties losing weight. Low levels of vitamin D and obesity are closely related to each other."
  • lask722
    lask722 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, we all respond to things differently of course, but this mantra has helped me with motivation quite a bit. It's also helped give me courage to try new things, take more risks, and basically live more of the life I want.

I say to myself: "lask722, do you want to be the girl who goes for that run after work, or do you want to be the girl who doesn't?"

There's something about externalizing it that just gives me power. "Do I want to go to the gym today?" and "Do I want to be the person who goes to the gym today?" have two different answers. Ask yourself the one where the answer is YES. Good luck!
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I used to make a lot of excuses and blame it on lack of motivation, then I read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead

And like the poster above said, just decided to put on my big girl panties.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    slide_283606_2166895_free.gif?1362071573380
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I used to make a lot of excuses and blame it on lack of motivation, then I read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead

And like the poster above said, just decided to put on my big girl panties.

That was a good read :flowerforyou: