Fitbit Users

Options
Just curious ... what are some of your routines to take extra steps? TIA :)

Replies

• KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much more aware of your movement (or lack of) a FitBit will make you. You also realize that the majority of your calorie burn for the day with come from NEAT activity vs. exercise. I waitress so I don't have issues with this on work days but on my days off I:

Clean my freakin house! Lots of steps there! Plus the house is clean!
    Take out the trash
    Play with other peoples dogs because I don't have one.
    Go shopping.
    Play music while I am home and spontaneously bust out some moves if a good enough song comes on. :laugh:
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much more aware of your movement (or lack of) a FitBit will make you. You also realize that the majority of your calorie burn for the day with come from NEAT activity vs. exercise. I waitress so I don't have issues with this on work days but on my days off I:

Clean my freakin house! Lots of steps there! Plus the house is clean!
    Take out the trash
    Play with other peoples dogs because I don't have one.
    Go shopping.
    Play music while I am home and spontaneously bust out some moves if a good enough song comes on. :laugh:

Good ideas! One that I have found that gives me major extra steps is to take my laundry out of the dryer, put the basket in the centre of the house, and then fold each item and put it away. It takes an extra 10 minutes sometimes but I have reached a lot of steps doing it!
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    OMG Juicy I did just that yesterday while folding clothes!!!
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I walk upstairs to go to the bathroom at work and at home. I also park far away, weather permitting, both at work and when I go shopping.
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I jog in place while washing my hands, getting a glass of water, making my lunch, etc. I look kind of ridiculous, but it really helps the steps add up! I also walk for 15 minutes each day on my afternoon break. I can easily get a couple thousand steps each day doing it.
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OMG Juicy I did just that yesterday while folding clothes!!!

Great minds think alike:wink:
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Dancing to some classic rock (dating myself) is great. You can keep your feet moving while doing other things with your hands.

In general, unlearn everything you've ever practiced about being efficient whenever you can afford the time. I work in a lot of extra "trips" at the office, and they add up.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Walk the dog, take the stairs at work (I'm on the 12th floor), and my favorite - window shopping/just wandering around stores looking at stuff. Exciting, I know lol.
  • greensgirl
    greensgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Same as others here. Park far out(still having to remind myself of this, trying to find a close spot is so ingrained in me), go strolling through the mall or run errands, clean the house, get an extra walk in, and "unlearn everything about being efficient" :-) I found out how sedentary I was after I got my fitbit. It's been great! Oh, and weight lifting, walk around between sets instead of sitting or standing letting the minute go by:laugh:
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,154 Member
    Options
    I've added friends on Fitbit so I can try to beat the people on the list who walk similar distances to mine (never catching the person who always does at least 140K steps per week and I'm okay with that). I don't look for the closest parking spots. At work, my hospital unit is shaped like a big rectangle so I try to take the longer route to go to the bathroom, get supplies etc. When there's downtime, I do laps 20=1 mile. Beats bonding with the coworkers. If I'm not quite at 10K for the day I do laps back and forth in my house - just did that a while ago - thank goodness for open floor plans.
  • mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was always on at my husband to park as close to the shops - mainly to avoid getting wet if it rained.
    Since getting my flex he's pointed out I'm parking further away and just taking a brolly! Lol
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Park the car further away
    Walk to the city instead of cycling or car (takes 30 mins of walking)
    Go to the toilet at work on a different floor
    Always zigzag through all the aisles at the supermarket (I just walk quickly through the aisles with stuff I do not need)
    Take a small walk after dinner
    Jog in place during commercials when watching tv (or during the show sometimes, if it's a boring part)
  • nerual13
    nerual13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA, I do the laundry trick too! Take one item out of dryer, walk over to counter, fold it. Repeat till dryer is empty. Make several trips to carry it to the closet and put away. It all adds up!

I'm also lucky enough to have a lovely quad at work to walk any time day or night (and we work all hours!) so that gets me almost 1K steps for a lap. I have an afternoon walk with one of the other girls in my office, we talk and gossip and poof we've got 2K steps in pretty damn quick!