Movie Theaters

Options
Just curious to see everyone's habits for going out to the movies.

My rules for when I go, which isn't very often:

1) I don't believe in sharing popcorn or any other food
2) I smuggle my own drinks and snacks in (one time I got caught with a 20oz Mello Yello Zero and the usher said they had to take the bottle and I could get it at customer service after the movie, so I chugged it and complied)
3) I've eaten an apple once and turns out it was a lot louder than I thought and won't do it again

Do you get the bucket? Do you butter it 3x through? Who actually eats hot dogs and nachos in the dark?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I buy all the candy before hand at the grocery store and smuggle it in in my purse. Will buy one big tub of popcorn and share amongst the kids and I. I buy them a slushie and myself a Starbucks. (Our theater is fancy!) I have also smuggled in other snacks too depending on my mood. We have another theater, the Alamo where you can order real food and beer and wine. That's a fun place for girls night out or a date night.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I buy all the candy before hand at the grocery store and smuggle it in in my purse. Will buy one big tub of popcorn and share amongst the kids and I. I buy them a slushie and myself a Starbucks. (Our theater is fancy!) I have also smuggled in other snacks too depending on my mood. We have another theater, the Alamo where you can order real food and beer and wine. That's a fun place for girls night out or a date night.

Alamo Drafthouse? :love:

I visited my friend there last summer and it was amazing. I had their Guinness Shake, which was so good.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    We are supposed to share the big tub of popcorn with extra butter? Hmmm! I refuse to share my drink with anyone! It could be because I'm afraid of floaties and I definitrly wouldnt be able to see them in the dark, ugh, I just threw up in my mouth. I like the fancy beer and wine theater but last time I went there was with my sister, brother, and cousin and I swear the waiter thought we were on a double date or something so he would make comments, it was awkward. But I'll sneak snacks in if I go which is rare.
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    I smuggle in taco bell. Soft tacos only, of course.
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In high school, my best friend and I would go to the food court and get dinner in one of those to-go boxes. Then we would cover it with our jacket and sneak it into the movie theatre at the mall. We would eat bourbon chicken or chinese food all while watching a movie. Good times!
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Smuggle in beer in glass bottles. It sure is fun to hear them clank as they roll down the isle when you are done drinking the beer.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Usually we share a big bucket of popcorn, which is expensive enough and I smuggle the drinks in. Had to laugh about the apple.... yes, that can be loud.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i may be going tonight. i have to do the bucket of popcorn and i smother that **** in butter. 3x, 5x, more? hell i dont know.
  • jsantus
    jsantus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Who actually eats hot dogs and nachos in the dark?
    :laugh: Hahaha!! Never thought about that!
  • onleethestrong
    onleethestrong Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day! If I have the calories I usually get the kids pack, so a really small popcorn, some kind of chocolate and a drink and save the chocolate for an emergency. If I don't have the calories (usually cause we're going out for supper after) I smuggle in "quiet" veggies, like pepper strips, cherry tomatoes and broccoli! I've taken in carrots and celery, but they're way too noisy to be discreet about.
    The theatre here doesn't seem as vigilant about outside food as some places, I've seen people eating McDonalds and even pizza. Awfully hard to sneak a whole pizza into a theatre!
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I bring my own chocolate and a water for my daughter in my large purse. She gets a small popcorn. Prices are outrageous. If they want to stay in business, they should leave us alone, with Netflix and redbox becoming so popular.
  • onleethestrong
    onleethestrong Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    mmmmm.... bourbon chicken!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I usually smuggle in food in a huge purse I own. Why? Because I'm cheap and I don't believe in paying $25 for a drink and a bag of candy.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Ha! Yes, to the smuggling. I go to Walgreens first and get the big movie theater boxes of candy for $1 and if I'm feeling extra cheap and healthy, I'll get a bag of the white cheddar popcorn.

My first job was at a movie theater and I'd find all kinds of stuff after the movie. Tiny liquor bottles, giant malt liquor bottles, buckets of fried chicken, microwaved popcorn (even more ghetto than my white cheddar contraband). Gotta do what you gotta do.

They have super fancy theaters in California, but I don't go often. I paid $20 to see Skyfall and got to sit in a reclining chair with a foot rest while a server brought me martinis. My fave was drinking scotch during Anchorman 2. I had to. Ron Burgundy doesn't drink Diet Coke.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    Before my weight loss days, I used to smuggle entire meals into movie theaters. I mean the whole nine yards – McDonalds’ sandwiches and fries along with can sodas from home for my family. I stopped it many years ago. Now, I mostly eat at home first because it’s healthier that way. When I get to the movie, I buy a small box of very expensive popcorn without butter and an equally expensive bottle of water. LOL!
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird, but I really could care less about movie theater popcorn? It's too salty and bleck.

I usually smuggle a big bottle of water and a pack of junior mints in. I have also done SLICED apples before..much quieter than trying to eat a whole one. ;)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually plan a nice meal out afterwards. I don't want to ruin that or have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a movie I paid $15 to see. No food or drink in the theater.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything usually or I take in my own crisps
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner out beforehand then go to the movies. If I want a snack, I pack something in my purse that is healthier from home. For candy, I like a pack of energy chews. I will, however, buy water at the theater.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do buy a big bottle of water because it's bigger than the bottle I would bring. As for snacks, I bring my own. Luckily I carry a really huge purse. LOL

Whatever yummy snacks I get from naturebox at the time is usually what I bring...i.e. roasted chickpeas, blueberry almonds, macadamia pretzel balls. etc.

I try to have whoever I'm with go up and buy my water, because it's too tempting for me. I'd end up buying the pretzel nubs and nacho cheese if I went up there. LOL