need to be pointed in the right direction

Options
Hello all,
So I'm 24, just under 5'3", about 128lbs female. For the last 3 weeks I've been eating roughly 1600 calories a day (eating back exercise calories), running 2 days a week and doing strength training dvds 2 days a week.

Now I've lost about 4lbs and I'm feeling great and much healthier. However i have no real idea what i should be doing here... I've read countless threads on this forum and I'm still not sure exactly where I'm at. I'm a healthy body weight, I'm not fat but i still have your typical love handles, belly fat and chunkier thighs. At this point do i continue to eat at a deficit and just do what I've been doing for a few more pounds? Should i eat more and start weights?

Sorry i know you've probably adressed this topic alot! I just want to do whats healthy for my body and for the first time get fit and toned! Any ideas, links, general advice greatly appreciated. I have never used weights or done any strength training before

Replies

• jakeyuma
    jakeyuma Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would look at strengthening your core. Look for some good core workouts. I am a big fan of Shawn T and his workouts realy hit the core hard. Insanity has 2 ab workouts that go well. Insane Abs and I forgot the name of the other one. The whole series, if you follow along will tighten your core. Any of the programs will work as long as you focus on building some muscle around your core. T25, Insanity, probably P90X3 but I am not a fan of The P90 series except for Power 90 At Home Boot Camp.
  • hollystensrud
    Options
    Great thanks I'll look into those! So any idea if i should continue eating at a defecit as well as hitting my core harder?
  • hollystensrud
    Options
    I bumped my calories up to 1800 for a half a pound loss a week. Does this seem reasonable or should i be eating at maitenance and just build muscle?
  • hollystensrud
    Options
    I'm also wondering if i have my activity level correct. I work on a farm taking care of horses. I work 8 hours a day and I'm on my feet the entire time. I do things like cleaning stalls, scrubbing things, grooming horses, some heavy lifting. I also go for walks in the evening, slower paced just to get outside with the boyfriend and i spend about an hour every night making dinner and lunches. I have it set for active right now, is that right or would that be considered very active?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I bumped my calories up to 1800 for a half a pound loss a week. Does this seem reasonable or should i be eating at maitenance and just build muscle?
    I'm also wondering if i have my activity level correct. I work on a farm taking care of horses. I work 8 hours a day and I'm on my feet the entire time. I do things like cleaning stalls, scrubbing things, grooming horses, some heavy lifting. I also go for walks in the evening, slower paced just to get outside with the boyfriend and i spend about an hour every night making dinner and lunches. I have it set for active right now, is that right or would that be considered very active?

Wow, you sound ACTIVE. I wouldn't get too jacked up about the exact numbers, You sound like you are doing things right. Keeping your deficit to a minimum, ( 1/2 lb per week ) and doing resistance training, seems like the right way to go. I'd just watch that you're not losing more than 1/2 lb per week, and if you are, bump up the calories a bit more.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree, dont worry too much about the numbers. If you feel you are at a healthy weight then I would adjust your calories to maintain and not worry about a deficit. If you still want to work on the love handles then find a workout meant for toning and building strength. P90x, T25 are both good. Ive heard Jillian Michaels has some good ones and she has a lot of workouts you can find for free on YouTube ;) good luck
  • PaintedImage
    PaintedImage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm an expert, but I think that qual:happy: ifies as very active. I am a horse owner also and although I am boarding now, I have had my own stable in the past it's alot of work!!! Any idea, what grooming a 17 hand horse that is shedding out - how many calories that burns. He gave me a work out this morning! there was a sweater laying in the isleway after I was done!!:happy:
  • hollystensrud
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Its reasuring to know I'm more or less on the right track and maybe need to lighten up a little bit about the numbers.

Hahaha do i ever know that feeling right now painted image. At 5'3" grooming the nearly 17hh guy at my work is not an easy task. Thankfully my own mare is only 14.3 so she's not as big of a chore
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above and with your numbers. Very active.... so much better than someone like me sitting on her behind all day!