Sweet Tea

Options
TeriaShae
TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
Since I'm from KY it's safe to say I am addicted to sweet tea! However, I know it's loaded w/ sugar and about 250 calories for a large glass! I only have one large cup with my dinner. Opinions?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and doesn't prevent you from hitting your nutrient goals, go for it ;) I typically eat ice cream every night of the day allows for it.
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    Well, my sugar is typically over! But, nevertheless, I'm still slowly losing!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Can you make your own with something like Truvia or Spenda (even replace half the sugar)? Or just slowly add less and less until you get used to a slightly less sweet tea? That would easily take the calories down, by about 15kcals per teaspoon.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    From the looks of you 250 is a HUGE portion of your probable calorie goal. What are your macros like? If it fits, great!

We have a brand called Swiss Premium that is rather local that makes an awesome Diet Sweet tea. I don't know how they do it but it tastes the same to me.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, honey, especially when it gets hot out! Do you make your own sweet tea? I've always made mine with 2 cups of sugar (per gallon) and found that I can replace 50-75% of the sugar with Splenda without even noticing the difference. I can go all Splenda and it's still an acceptable substitute. Try it and see how it goes. Substitute a little bit more each time you make it until you find the sugar/Splenda (or calorie free sweetener of your choice) ratio that is lowest cal without sacrificing taste.

Of course, don't feel guilty if it fits into your daily budget, but I can easily put away a half gallon a day during the summer, so having a MUCH lower cal option makes for a much happier me :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, honey, especially when it gets hot out! Do you make your own sweet tea? I've always made mine with 2 cups of sugar (per gallon) and found that I can replace 50-75% of the sugar with Splenda without even noticing the difference. I can go all Splenda and it's still an acceptable substitute. Try it and see how it goes. Substitute a little bit more each time you make it until you find the sugar/Splenda (or calorie free sweetener of your choice) ratio that is lowest cal without sacrificing taste.

Of course, don't feel guilty if it fits into your daily budget, but I can easily put away a half gallon a day during the summer, so having a MUCH lower cal option makes for a much happier me :)

I agree with making the gradual switch. I used to pile the sugar into my tea but cut it down so now I cant stand any sugar at all.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    IIFYM, go for it!

Avoid all the chemicals of artificial sweeteners, including/especially Splenda!
  • LaNellAngerstein
    Options

Have you tried Stevia? (I prefer the in-the-raw for baking kind) Its cup for cup like sugar and doesn't have the aftertaste/toxins of Splenda! :D
  • LaNellAngerstein
    Options

Same here! It works! :)
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to sweet tea too! My ex sister-in-law even gave me the nickname "SweetT". I would go through a certain drive-thru every single morning and get a large one. Then I discovered that if you order "half cut" (and yes, it actually comes up on the screen that way), it was half sweet/half unsweetened. Then I went from that to just unsweetened. I know this sounds strange, but I use one "pink" packet of sweetner and one "blue" packet. Nothing else tastes the same to me as that combination. I don't miss the sweet tea at all and I've even gotten my friends hooked on it. You may have to use a little more than one pack of each in the beginning, but soon enough you'll find that's all the sweetness you need! Good luck!
  • LaNellAngerstein
    Options

I agree with making the gradual switch. I used to pile the sugar into my tea but cut it down so now I cant stand any sugar at all.

Same here! It works! :)
  • Sara__Beth
    Sara__Beth Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Since I'm Southern myself I can definitely relate. I normally drink nothing but water during the day but occasionally I like a good glass of tea or Coke with my dinner.

Have you ever heard of Milo's sweet tea? My brother introduced it to me and I was a bit skeptical at first because I've never liked store bought tea. After he forced me to try some I was hooked. It takes like really good Southern Iced Tea. I had to quit buying it because the calories were killing me since the stuff was just so good. Anyway, I recently found out they also make tea sweetened with Splenda that has zero calories. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to try it yet so I couldn't tell you whether it's any good or not but if you just can't live without your tea, it might be nice to give it a try.

http://www.milostea.com/products/splenda/
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    Typically I LOVE McDonald's sweet tea. The sugar however, does not fit the macros. :(
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I am in the North (Canada) but I love sweet tea, I blame my sister for living in the south and introducing me to it. ooh and barbeque, I still dream about that barbeque.

I make my own and I use less sugar then called for in my recipe, I also add lemon or sometimes herb it as well to get more of a flavor out of it.

Since I haven't made it since starting MFP I don't know what the calories are like, try reducing the sugar.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, but I drink green tea (to help boost metabolism) and it's so bitter I have to have it sweet. I use Stevia in the Raw now.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Lipton makes tea bags with stevia leaves in then called southern sweet tea and it tastes JUST like it and normally I have stevia but this stuff is amazing. I really can't tell a difference between to and regular sweet tea.

It can be hard to find though.. We've only been able to find it at Sams Club
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am from the philippines and I love sweet tea! LOL what I do is per glass, I use a bag of green tea or earl grey depends on my mood, 1 tsp brown sugar (15 calories) and a tiny squeeze of lemon yumyum. It might not be like the one you're used to but it's a good substitute. I love Arizona's sweet tea!
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Since I'm Southern myself I can definitely relate. I normally drink nothing but water during the day but occasionally I like a good glass of tea or Coke with my dinner.

Have you ever heard of Milo's sweet tea? My brother introduced it to me and I was a bit skeptical at first because I've never liked store bought tea. After he forced me to try some I was hooked. It takes like really good Southern Iced Tea. I had to quit buying it because the calories were killing me since the stuff was just so good. Anyway, I recently found out they also make tea sweetened with Splenda that has zero calories. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to try it yet so I couldn't tell you whether it's any good or not but if you just can't live without your tea, it might be nice to give it a try.

http://www.milostea.com/products/splenda/

I haven't tried the time but that did just remind me I used to buy the Red Diamond with Splenda. It's very good too.. And I hate Splenda too... Lol I hate most artificial sweeteners.
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with gradually cutting down also, I used to have 5/6 sugars in my teas and now I only have 1!!!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, but I drink green tea (to help boost metabolism) and it's so bitter I have to have it sweet. I use Stevia in the Raw now.

1) Green tea won't have any real effect on 'boosting your metabolism'
    2) If your green tea is bitter, try making it with off-the-boil water (or add some cold water to the cup first). It shouldn't be bitter when you make it, but often people use freshly boiled water and scorch the tea leaves.