Help getting started

Options
I joined MFP a month ago and have been losing weight with adjustments to my diet. Now I want to work in exercise. My fitness level is poor. I know my cardiovascular system is shot and I should work on getting that better. I also know that muscle helps burn fat faster. I have no access to a gym, so I have to work with what I have around me. Any ideas on how to go about this?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start out small. Start by walking your butt off and working your way up. Eventually you'll build up your endurance and that will lead into other activities.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Walking. Just slowly build up your time and distance
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Walking and yoga are a good place to start. I also recommend stretching for pilates, even if you aren't up to even the beginner level yet. I did the stretches for about 3 weeks before I actually did any real pilates! Most of those stretches will get your heart rate up. Plus, you should be stretching before walking/ yoga anyway :). And start slow. Do 10 minutes of stretching, then walk for 5 minutes. Another 5 minute stretch. If you feel like it was too easy, up it a tad the next day.

Since (like me) you used to be pretty active, you'll get a feel for what feels good. And get your sons involved. Even just making a lap around the park with them is a great place to start.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Unless your eating at surplus you really aren't going to gain muscle that much other than some noob gains. I would try to work on strength/resistance training.

Perhaps try craigslist to see if anybody is selling weights that include a barbell with plates would be your best bet. You could do starter program such as starting strength 5x5 that would get you well on your way.

There are also YAYOG(you are your own gym), convict conditioning, & nerdfitness that you could youtube. No equipment is needed. These will give you more cardiovascular system a workout as well, more so than walking.

There are things around your house/garage that can serve as weights as well, you just have to get creative.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Get a DVD program with the type of style you know you'll enjoy.

I suggest ChaLean Extreme. Absolutely amazing at-home program that uses weights or resistance bands.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Unless your eating at surplus you really aren't going to gain muscle that much other than some noob gains. I would try to work on strength/resistance training.

Perhaps try craigslist to see if anybody is selling weights that include a barbell with plates would be your best bet. You could do starter program such as starting strength 5x5 that would get you well on your way.

There are also YAYOG(you are your own gym), convict conditioning, & nerdfitness that you could youtube. No equipment is needed. These will give you more cardiovascular system a workout as well, more so than walking.

There are things around your house/garage that can serve as weights as well, you just have to get creative.

He mentioned he had lost weight, and it seemed like he probably wanted to lose more? Eating at a surplus to gain muscle doesn't really seem like what he is aiming for at this time.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    Walking with a little jog here and there. Between street light poles is a good challenge. Walk two and jog one. Make adjustments when you start gaining endurance. As far as exercises I would say push ups, sit ups, air squats and pull ups. Body weight exercises are great won't risk injury. As far as your strength see where your at. See how many you can do without stopping. Adjust from there. Good luck!!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! This is really helpful!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Start out small. Start by walking your butt off and working your way up. Eventually you'll build up your endurance and that will lead into other activities.

this is exactly how I started out.. once you hit a point when it gets too easy then you can find ways to add in more activities or up your activities. walking and swimming and yoga are what I used when starting out and still do them.