Protein??!!

Options
I recently purchased some whey isolate protein to substitute meals when I'm not super hungry.. If I take it and don't work out a lot will I gain weight??

Replies

• Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you maintain a deficit, you will not gain weight. If you are drinking enough shakes to put yourself into a caloric surplus, you'll gain. Protein supplements are no different than any other food, in that nutrients come attached to calories.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Depends on how the calories fit in your day. I also (works for ME) watch the carbs and sugar.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No you will not!!! As long as your not having 4 shakes a day. Be careful on what protein you buy. A lot of certain brands have fillers in them that is very harmful to the body. I have a protein shake in the morning and at night. Need any more advice feel free to add me!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on if consuming would put you in a calorie surplus

^^This...
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    No you will not!!! As long as your not having 4 shakes a day. Be careful on what protein you buy. A lot of certain brands have fillers in them that is very harmful to the body. I have a protein shake in the morning and at night. Need any more advice feel free to add me!

This isn't right. You can have 4 shakes a day if you want.

What you need to make sure is to have the right amount of protein. Around 0.7-0.8g of protein for every pound you weigh. Isolate protein is good because it has very little fat and carbs. So now it depends if you are mixing it with milk or water.

I would stay away from using it as a meal replacement, because it isn't. You should use it as a top up if you haven't had enough protein for the day....or you can't eat anymore and haven't reached your caloric goal for the day. Then I would say, mix it will a cup of milk.

Personally, I used to have shakes every day, but now I make sure I get it through my diet and on the odd occasion I use it to top up my protein numbers.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not meal replacements, they are supplements to be taken with your usual diet to help keep your protein levels up.

You will gain weight if you eat at a surplus, regardless of what it is.
  • buildabetterbody66
    Options
    As long as you are counting it in your nutritional intake....you are okay. My current goal is to gain muscle mass while losing fat. My trainer has me on 140-155 gm PRO per day. It is impossible for me to eat that much so I do rely on PRO supplements to help me meet that goal. It is added to my overall calories and macros.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not meal replacements, they are supplements to be taken with your usual diet to help keep your protein levels up.

You will gain weight if you eat at a surplus, regardless of what it is.

I agree. I do not use my protein shakes as a meal replacement. Sometimes I log it as my breakfast because I will have it as my first meal of the day, but I eat a morning snack that still gives me nutrition.