CrossFit or Regular Gym?

I'm starting to research ways to exercise and I've come across a few that appear to be good ideas. We have a fully functional gym here, but you have to pay extra for a personal trainer. Or we have a CrossFit gym and all workouts are with a trainer. Then there's Tai Kwon Do. I was hoping you might have some thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Crossfit is typically extremely expensive. And for no equipment it kinda makes you wonder why. It is a very fast growing trend but also dangerous. I've been to Crossfit gyms that have way too many people in their classes with not enough trainers. Usually 3 trainers to a class of 50. Also, Crossfit is a mix of gymnastics, and Olympic lifting. Olympic lifting is all form based. If you do not do the exercises properly it is likely your going to get injured. One on one training is excellent or if you go to Crossfit Seminars. And they do have very effective workouts to create functional strength. But I think it should be for someone experienced in working out and can utilize good form and discipline before paying $100+ a month for a membership.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Whatever keeps you active and engaged is the proper approach. I can't read your wallet so I don't know what you can or cannot afford, so do whatever suits your schedule/wallet/personality best.
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Whatever is most enjoyable is the best answer. Maybe start with a regular gym to learn the basics of lifting and than move onto crossfit or use it for cardio days as a change in pace.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Like the previous poster stated in cross fit they do lots of Olympic lifting. Olympic lifts are great, but yes, the form is extremely important. In addition to do those types of workouts you need to make sure you don't have a lot of muscle imbalances or flexibility issues.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    most crossfit boxes will provide you with a free class, typically on saturdays. check it out. get their early to see the end of the previous class. talk to people.

some boxes will specialize in certain areas. maybe one is more gymnastics, while one is more for olympic lifting, or more for conditioning/body weight.

like looking4gains said, they're usually more expensive because you're paying for small group training. most good boxes will limit classes to like 10-16 people.

you can also chose the membership you want. two classes a week? 3? unlimited? personally, i think that crossfit is great, but it shouldn't be making up the bulk of your exercises.

but it's all about what you want. do you want the class environment where it will be necessary to show up at a certain time and complete a work out and stay until the end? or do you want a little more freedom in your work outs, and have the discipline to stick with your own schedule?

also, check out the schedule of the local boxes. does it fit in with yours? would you be able to make it?
  • awilde4
    awilde4 Posts: 16 Member
    I did crossfit for about 6 months and loved the results. Be warned! You will work hard, you will sweat buckets and you will get sore ;)

I had a fantastic instructor though that took it very, very seriously. Classes were no more than I'd say a dozen people... 15 tops. he spent all his time demonstrating and correcting form and even with that, over time I got hurt. I over-did it. I"m 40 and a bit gung ho.

You can go at your own pace though of course, just make sure the instructor is trained and paying attention. Ask questions!

I've switched over to running and weights but the classes gave me an awesome start. I just couldn't keep doing it.
  • I was a member at a cross fit gym for about 1 year. It was expensive. My biggest issue was it aggravated a chronic shoulder injury to the point were getting dressed was a challenge. With my shoulder injury I simply in the end couldn't do the workouts. The gym didn't have any alternatives. My membership became a huge waste of money.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I love the Crossfit workout, but it doesn't encompass everything I want to do. So I do the drop in once a week or so, and hit a regular gym for the rest of my workouts.
  • ShaunnaMichelle
    ShaunnaMichelle Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you all so much for your answers! I decided to go with a regular gym for now because they offer a wide variety of classes as well as the regular gym equipment, so I thought I could do a variety and not get bored. I'm definitely not at an "Olympic" level at all!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I see you have opted for a regular gym- but just some more thoughts to chew on for you- or anyone else who is reading this

Really it depends on your goals.

money being no object: if over all fitness is your goal- cross fit is a great option

If you have specific goals in mind about gaining strength or size or anything else- cross fit is a bad option.

Cross fit is the zumba of the workout world.

It's great for people who want to go in and sweat- they burn some calories- they have a good time- and they get fitter.

But cross fit is not going to get you progressive training if you have specific goals about getting stronger power lifting or fitness/figure/phsyique comps.

And its' also expensive.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Thank you all so much for your answers! I decided to go with a regular gym for now because they offer a wide variety of classes as well as the regular gym equipment, so I thought I could do a variety and not get bored. I'm definitely not at an "Olympic" level at all!

olympic lifting doesn't mean that you are a potential olympic athlete. it is lifting that is done with barbells. the olympic lifts are the clean and press and the snatch. you build up to them with things like dead lift, squats, and the overhead press.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Whatever you do, start in easy if this is new or just getting back to things.I see too many people fall to injuries because they start in too fast and hard.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    The one good thing Crossfit has accomplished is to make compound lifts more mainstream. I see a lot more people doing squats and deadlifts (both men and women) than I used to. Crossfit itself just like everything else is a fad and will probably go by the wayside at some point.