Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just a link for anyone who is interested in calories. ( so you can add into your daily calorie intake)
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/ :drinker:
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Can you actually get fat off Vodka?

I lost 75 pounds and never stopped drinking - BUT - I did count the calories and made sure I was within goal.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....I was the skinniest I ever have been when I drank the most.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    *Source- Scoobyworkshop.com*
    <snip>
    I am not even gonna start on that wall of misinformation.
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Quick quiz: Drinking one beer a day will add how much fat in one year?

a) 3 pounds of fat
    b) 7 pounds of fat
    c) 12 pounds of fat
    d) 15 pounds of fat

Choice D. Pretty unbelievable isn’t it. Drink just one beer a day and you add 15lbs of fat in a year.

Surely correct answer is:
    e) it depends what else you ate/drank that day and whether that beer takes you over TDEE
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to cut and paste a whole article here, but this page was highly informative for me:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/science-binge-drinking/
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to cut and paste a whole article here, but this page was highly informative for me:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/science-binge-drinking/
    That was a really good and informative article.
  • MelWilB137
    MelWilB137 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is one I've pondered on a great deal...I do think that alcohol has contributed to my weight, but I'm also trying to find a way to balance it with a new healthier lifestyle. I generally struggle with accurate measuring, and alcohol falls into that category...when pouring a drink at home, I don't break out the beakers to get a jigger/ounce and half precision. So, I think that's one of the challenges for my drinking...exactly how much booze is in that ice, diet sprite mixture.
    Booze falls into the same category as pasta, bread, and frosting for me...if you told me I couldn't have it, I'd be angry and probably gorge myself. Understanding that it can be something that limits my healthier self and my weight loss and enjoying is my balance.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    you cannot get fat off any alcohol only beer .if you do it in moderation like 2 days of week you drink you will not gain a pound drinking off alcohol alone if you do 2 days id say split a pint in half drink 1 half 1day then the other another day of the week .. with beer to not get fat only drink maybe 2-3 regular small size cans per week or just 1 tall can and a small regular size can
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Why would only beer and not other alcohol versions like wine etc make you fat?

Actually I think none of them make you fat if you fit them Into your calorie allowance
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I still drink (beers and wines). Generally I fit it into my calories for that day and there's no real issue. I've still lost weight whilst drinking. I don't usually drink during the week unless I've been out for dinner, it's mostly a weekend thing, and that helps too, because it's easy for me to create a calorie deficit during the week to help out with weekends.

For me the real issue is the fact that when I'm drunk it seems like the best idea EVER to go grab a pizza or a burrito and then of course, if I'm hungover the next day then the only thing that can save me from that vengeful hell is bacon and eggs and hash browns ;) That's generally what adds up for me and what I keep an eye on more so than the actual alcohol.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I drank vodka quite heavily as my preferred drink for the last two years. Thirty pounds later...
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Obviously
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    you cannot get fat off any alcohol only beer .if you do it in moderation like 2 days of week you drink you will not gain a pound drinking off alcohol alone if you do 2 days id say split a pint in half drink 1 half 1day then the other another day of the week .. with beer to not get fat only drink maybe 2-3 regular small size cans per week or just 1 tall can and a small regular size can

WRONG.
    Doesn't matter what you're drinking, if you're consuming calories over your maintenance, you'll gain weight, be it from vodka or beer, doesn't matter.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is like anything else that provides energy for your body. What determines whether you'll gain weight or not is the overall energy balance. Log the calories and call it a day.

Now... the alcohol itself won't be stored as fat, but it will offset the use of other sources of energy, which might end up as fat.

So theoretically a diet of all alcohol wouldn't make you fat... although it would be accompanied by a host of problems much worse than fat gain. Fun thought. :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    By the time you drank enough to get fat, you would be in jail or the hospital.

or dead...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Can you actually get fat off Vodka?

Yes...
  • byronyucker
    byronyucker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh well I guess I better stop drinking ALL alcohol in general. Thanks guys.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss POV, why can't you drink alcohol in moderation and/or choose lower calorie options, like vodka with diet mixer?
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What about beer? I miss my beer!!!!!!!