Guitar Players?

Options
SMarie10
SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
Wondered how many MFP'ers play the Guitar, and how long it took to be come competent. I have always wanted to play guitar and wonder how an adult picks up this skill.. Any advice from those of you who have the strumming gift? There are some local guitar shops that advertise classes, but I wonder if I'd be better off watching YouTube and trying to learn on my own.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You're going to get more out of it if you can afford private lessons, although I learned on my own starting in my near mid 40's.

There are two guys that I've seen on youtube that do a really good job catering to beginners to intermediate. Marty Schwartz & Justinguitar both have a ton of free lessons in hopes that perhaps you will use their website as well, but they are both about the musician first. Marty even has a free E book to download if you are not familiar with chords that is helpful to beginners.

Either route your going you should really use metronome which you can find free online ones as you practice.

Feel free to PM with any questions & good luck!
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Playing guitar is a lot like losing weight in a way. Takes a while to increase skill, but if you work at it enough, the results are definitely worth it. I've been playing for a little over 6 years myself. I'd suggest you get some lessons. As a beginner with little to no prior knowledge, you could pick up some bad habits that can lead to injuries or impede the development of your skills. I'd suggest you get a teacher. That helped me a lot when I was starting and helped me to develop my ability much faster.