Frustrated!!!

Options
ok, so when I started to lose weight I was super excited... I lost several pounds super fast. However, I'm at a slight stand still even though I'm still losing inches. So I try to focus on the inches over the weight. I can visually tell I've lost weight (as can others around me) and my clothing is fitting differently. I'm guessing since I'm working out more than I have in YEARS (I was a cheerleader in HS) that my muscles are starting to strengthen again and that's why I'm not seeing inches fall right now. Just needed to rant about this!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are correct. Give your muscles time to adjust and you will see the number on the scale drop again. If not, change up your exercise routine. You should challenge your body with a switch up in routine when you reach a plateau.

The good thing is you are still losing. Yay!
  • sabrinahursman
    Options
    It Is very frustrating! Try switching up to a different routine. That helps me. One week I will focus on certain plan and the week after do something different.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What you lost in the beginning was most likely water weight. When I first started, I lost 5 pounds in a little over a week. Now I'm down to a pound a week, sometimes less, and sometimes nothing. Weight loss isn't linear and takes a long time! Just be patient and keep on keepin' on. Also, you're right to measure yourself over weighing! The scales have a bad tendency to lie. ;) Good luck!
  • Woodster83
    Woodster83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising heavily I stopped losing weight for 2 weeks, I was a bit gutted but stuck with it as I felt better in my clothes and mentally I felt amazing.. Increased energy and a new found excitement for life!

Lost 3lbs this week, so it's defo worthwhile sticking with it.

I concluded it was water weight from muscle repair, plus I started drinking more fluids too which may have also helped.

Good luck! You know it'll come off if you are honest with your intake and exercise.

Also, are you using MFP for exercise calorie burns? It way over estimates.. :(
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The Scale is such a small part of this journey! Don't focus on the numbers of that Scale. Focus on taking measurements, progress pictures and most importantly how you FEEL! If you are eating healthy and keeping up with an exercise routine, then you know you are on the right track and probably feeling pretty fantastic!

Change up your exercise routine about every 2 weeks to avoid an exercise plateau. Your body can fall into a routine which will result in it not having to work as hard, which results in a smaller calorie burn. Keep things fresh and fun!

Keep up the amazing work!:smile: