Too Aggressive?

Options
Hi all

Needing some advice please.

Ok, I have so far lost 9lbs in the last 5 weeks, which when I see it written down isn't too bad, however that loss came in the first 3 weeks and then nothing for 2 weeks until a 1lb loss today.

I'm aiming for a 20% deficit but with only 10lbs to get to my target I don't know if that's too aggressive?

These are my details:

5' 7"
44 years old
153lbs (10st 13lbs)
Exercise: 3 or 4 times a week (40 mins each day) cardio, 1 or 2 times strength training

According to Scooby's weight loss calculator, I've got the following info:

BMR 1371
TDEE 1886
Cals @ 20% loss 1509
Cals @ 15% loss 1603
Cals @ 10% loss 1697

I set my calories at 1580 until today and admittedly have never reached the total weekly consumption and have eaten far less than I should do.

Have I not eaten enough and is this is why I've not lost something each week?
Should I remain at 20% deficit or aim lower?
Will I gain if I increase my calories?

Any advice most welcome.....

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    1. Eating more will not make you lose more weight.
    2. Weight loss does not happen as one might expect. You could stay the same for a few days, increase a bit for a couple of days, then lost two pounds in two day. Even while eating the same diet and doing the same exercise program for every one of those days.
    3. You ARE losing, you just need to chill out over it. And I say this having felt the same way you are feeling. You've been losing close to 2 pounds a week. Unless you have a LOT to lose, this rate is fine. Yes, we ALL wish it would come off faster. Regardless of people saying " you didn't gain it in a day, why would you expect to lose it in a day" (by the way, I find that annoying), it IS easier to over eat and gain than to control the calories and lose.
    4. I think you need to take some time and celebrate your current achievement! You've done awesome! Go and buy a new shirt, buy that novel you've always wanted to read, or go see that movie you're dying to see. Something to reinforce how well you have done so far AND how great you will continue to do!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Stick with the program and eat your calories, not way under as you have been. What's the point of starving yourself when you dont need to?! With only 10lbs to lose it will come off slower, just be patient, I know that's not easy but dont let this rule your life, it's just part of your life.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan. Make sure you are challenging yourself in the strength training enough that it is difficult but not too heavy that you cannot keep good safe posture. Increase intensity if your body adapts. I log weight most days match this with what you can observe in the mirror, a couple of weeks ago I think I over strained my legs and there was some (to me) obvious fluid retention my weight over all had spiked and there were other factors for my swing up, but I got calories back on track and I gave my legs a couple days break and the weight "fell off". Anyhow what I am saying is trust in your plan be honest with yourself if you have over eaten accept this fact. As you get to know how your body reacts you will gain confidence. For now stick to your plan it is not too aggressive.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it is too agressive.

With 20lbs in total (10left) 1/2lb a week is a healthy rate.

We are similar stats and I lift heavy 3x a week and I average 1700 calories a day and am losing steadily.

I read this here and agree...the goal should be the maximum number of calories your allowed where you are sitll losing weight, not the minimum...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    What SS said - slow and steady works long term. Also, what are your macros like? MFP tends to set protein and fat goals too low. (Protein is especially important if you're lifting.)
  • Onedayslimmfp
    Onedayslimmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I think I need to relax rather than stress about it and make sure I eat my calories using healthy options instead of "empty calories" just to use them up. At the back of my mind I like to think I've got some left in the bank just incase I need a treat, that said I always add a Kitkat in my snacks at the beginning of the day as its there already counted for.

With regards to macros I've just kept to the proportions that mfp has suggested, arevthese not correct?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP macros are minimums

As for the calories and how they are used...use them like you will when you are at goal.

I too prelog my treat. :drinker:
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find that calculators with activity level modifiers are way too general to give an accurate number to go for.

We have very similar stats. I'm 5'7'' too and weight 140lbs. I do more cardio than you do (between 1 & 2h /day) but also do 1 or 2 strength training per week. Most days I'm eating way over 2500kcal including exercise calories (the number the calculator you mentioned gave me for my activity level) and still losing.

I'm down from being 165lbs, and I hit a plateau between 147-152lbs. I was eating too little. I was at 1700kcal, upped my calories to 1900, and dropped to 143lbs in no time. Same with the next two pounds: upped to 2050kcal and I dropped them easily.

In my personal experience, 20% is too aggressive for the weight range you are getting into. It was really cool for the numbers you are used to, but from now on you have to be accurate if you want to get lower. 100kcal can mean a LOT per day at that range.

I you want my advice, aim for 15% deficit until you reach 147-148lbs, then lower it again to 10% until 140, then again to 5-7% until you hit your goal if you want to get lower than 140. Also, do that % deficit on TDEE without exercise calories and then eat all your exercise calories. No % deficit on them.

As you know, muscle weights much more than fat, so I would highly recommend you to not focus on weight loss, but rather on % fat loss. If your training plan gets you to have more muscle than I have (I train for endurance, not strength) your numbers may be very different than mine.

It will be slow, but that's how you get down from 20% body fat to the low 10s. It is a long journey.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yes it is too agressive.

With 20lbs in total (10left) 1/2lb a week is a healthy rate.

We are similar stats and I lift heavy 3x a week and I average 1700 calories a day and am losing steadily.

I read this here and agree...the goal should be the maximum number of calories your allowed where you are sitll losing weight, not the minimum...

^^^^ good advice right here...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    40% carbs and 30% each for protein and fats is a good place to start. For protein you'll see people recommend 1 gram per bodyweight, or 0.8 grams per lean body mass. A good starting minimum for protein would be about 100 grams per day. That will help up your calories to your goal.

Calculators can be very generic, but I found Scooby's to be the most accurate for me, personally.
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    As mactaffy84 said, eating more will not make you lose more.
    As long as you're not eating a significant number (e.g 300 calories) under your recommended intake and your body isn't complaining, you're fine, I promise. Just stick with it and don't give up. The hardest part is to stay motivated, if you can stay motivated I proooomise you will lose further weight in near future.
    Good luck!