Need to gain weight, but have big diet problems

Options
Hi all,

First of all, I'm not sure if I had to post this in this Sub-Forum, or the "Food and Nutrition" forum, as this is my first time here and I'm desperate for help right now, but here it goes anyway.

I'm a 20 year old weighing in at around 58kg-60kg, but I'm awfully thin and I really want to start gaining weight so I can start going to the gym, but I've heard it's pretty bad to start gym without gaining a few pounds, so I want to try and find a good way to start gaining weight properly.

There are only two problems with this however: 1) My metabolism is quite high, meaning no matter how much I eat, it's REALLY hard to actually gain weight, and 2) my diet is EXTREMELY limited - I'm a very fussy eater whose diet is mostly limited to carbs and a bit of protein - those of which include Pizza Margherita, Cheeseburgers, Chicken fillets & Fries, Toasties/Sandwiches, and on some occasions, Pasta.
I simply can't eat fruit or vegetables, and I can't force myself to eat things I don't like. I'm not quite sure why, but this has been going on since I was a child; and I'm constantly being told I'm thin (not disastrously skinny, but definitely below average), and I want things to change this summer.

So, can I still gain weight with a limited diet, or must I vary my diet more so I can start gaining weight properly? I'm already drinking as much milk as I can as I heard it helps to gain weight, and I have breakfast, a decent sized lunch, and a smaller dinner every day but I'm not sure if it's enough with this diet of mine.

Thanks!

EDIT: Another "issue" I'd like to point out is that I'm quite a big fan of walking, I usually love to walk long distances as I find it relaxing and, as most people say, beneficial to my health, BUT, can this get in the way of gaining weight? This is my only form of 'exercise' right now.

EDIT 2: Sorry giving such a lengthy post and going off-topic, but whilst I'm here, is there any explanation to my diet? Is it a medical condition since I was able to eat almost anything when I was younger but now I can't? Or am I just really fussy? What's odd is that I can drink most things, but I won't eat them... (eg: I'd drink orange juice any day, but it'd take quite a lot to make me eat one).

Replies

• EpsilonGamma
    Options
    1) you can go to the gym whenever you want. You are at the right age.
    2) how much do you actually weigh
    3) metabolism stupidly high? probably not, you just have an active lifestyle. Michael Phelps during his training days ate 12000 calories a day.
  • Nikko969
    Nikko969 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, and about the metabolism thing, I'm not sure about it to be honest, I was just told that by a friend who's quite a big gym enthusiast. I'm at 58kg (127lbs), but I'm not sure if I'm entirely active; most of my day just involves sitting at the PC or University Lectures...I want to start gym, is it advisable to start regardless of my diet?
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    I started when I was about 60kgs back when I was 24. So yeah, you are fine to start.

You'll find that you'll gain weight very quickly even eating what you eat now. All newbies gain weight really easily.

To do it well, you'll need to start eating more.

What does your typical daily diet consist of? Give a couple of examples for breakfast, lunch and dinner + snacks
  • Nikko969
    Options
    Awesome, that's great to hear :)

Well like I said before, it's extremely limited since I'm a really really fussy eater, but I usually start my day with a bowl of cornflakes and some milk, and lunch usually ranges from Pizza Margarita, Chicken Fillets, Cheeseburgers or Pasta, and on some occasions, meat, and dinner would be any of those, or if I'm feeling lazy, some toasties, but yes, as you can see I'm REALLY fussy with food (never knew why), but I want to see if it's possible to gain weight regardless of my tiny diet.
    Oh, and snacks would usually consist of deserts like chocolates, sometimes I take multivitamin drinks to try and compensate a bit for my poor eating habits...but yeah, I need to make a few changes I think....
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Essentially if you don't want to eat anything different, I would change the days you eat these foods.

Look up Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. That's a good program that will last you years. You should only work out 3 times a week.

On work out days, go for you pastas and cheesburgers. On non-workout days, eat less carbs, go for the chicken fillets.

What you'll need to do is up your protein.

However, I would say, after a while, you'll get bigger and stronger, but you won't look cut. This will be due to your diet.
  • Nikko969
    Options
    Yeah, I'd imagine so, but hopefully by then I'd overcome these issues, but right now my preliminary goal is just to gain some weight and get a bit bigger, but I never really took into consideration what to eat and when, so thanks a lot for the advice, and the workout program; I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks so much for your help, and if anyone would like to suggest something else, I'm all ears.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    You NEED some fruit and veg in your life. Like, NEED it. You're opening yourself up to all sorts of deficiencies which aren't going to help your quest for weight gain.
    I know it's very hard to introduce new things to your diet but why not try something like V8 or any other juiced fruit/veg drink.
  • Bety_1989
    Bety_1989 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight with the food that you are eating, but building muscle will be more challenging. Not to mention that such a limited diet is very unhealthy. You would probably look and feel much better if you would introduce some more vitamin rich foods in your diet.

I would for sure talk with a professional about your fussy eating. Until you are able to do that, would you be open to mix up your diet a bit? For example you like pizza. Would you be open to eat chicken on the pizza? Or maybe some vegetables on it? How about smoothies? You can put quite a bit of fruit in it and it tastes like juice. What do you dislike in other food, texture or taste?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Essentially if you don't want to eat anything different, I would change the days you eat these foods.

Look up Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. That's a good program that will last you years. You should only work out 3 times a week.

On work out days, go for you pastas and cheesburgers. On non-workout days, eat less carbs, go for the chicken fillets.

What you'll need to do is up your protein.

However, I would say, after a while, you'll get bigger and stronger, but you won't look cut. This will be due to your diet.

This ^ and just add milk - drinking a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD) on top of what you already eat will help.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My son has selective eating disorder/sensory processing issues. He only eat a few foods, but he is broadening his horizons, slowly. And by slowly, I mean maybe 2 new foods a year.

Please be easy on yourself, there are plenty of people, young and old who cannot eat normally. Its not in your head, and it isnt your fault!

My first thought was of drinks, can you drink milk? Or fruit juice? if you could have a glass of apple juice with your cornflakes and milk you'd get a little fruit in your day. A glass of milk has 8 grams of protien, not too shabby.

A chicken fillet is probably pretty good too, especially if you can handle a white meat variety.

As for protien, barilla makes a protien enriched white pasta that I have heard good things about.

As for fruits and veggies-my son can eat peeled apples, frozen corn, small red grapes,fruit leather (specific variety), nutragrain cereal bars with strawberry filling, original craisins, and a variety of fruit juice/fruit and veggie blends. He can also drink a mango smoothie from Naked Juice brand, and a similar tasting smoothie from McDonalds.

Now this took time to get him to the point he is at today. Trying things, even just smelling or touching things with no intention of eating them. He is mostly vegetarian because meat is revolting to him. Smell, taste, texture is just not something he can do at all. and Fish? fuggadaboutit.

So for protien he eats- salted cashews, cheese, milk, peter pan peanut butter,and plain hummus. a few times a year he will eat a chicken nugget. Thats it folks!

Anyways, Id suggest checking out the adult picky eaters website, and forum through yahoo groups. You can thrive on a limited diet!

edited to add- Please check out "the french fry lady" google her! She eats a limited diet consisting of potatoes, milk, crispy bacon and cranberry juice. :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could learn to count your protein grams and get enough to build some muscle. You'd easily be able to find the calorie excess you need (500 cals) per day on the high calorie food you like.

I think this may be a great opportunity to expand your food horizon.

Breakfast pizza anyone? :wink:
  • Nikko969
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the amazing feedback and responses!

You're all right, I do need to vary a bit with Vitamins, but I have that slightly under control since I usually buy Tropicana Multivitamin drinks now and then, which is pretty rich in most vitamins. That's basically my "cover" for the lack of eating fruit/veg.

I don't know why I'm fussy with these things. I'm not sure if it's a selective disorder, but to answer a question regarding texture/taste, I think it's a bit of both. I've never tried and I'm a bit scared to.

But with regards to weight I've been drinking a lot of milk! I haven't reached a daily gallon since it's around 3 cartons, but I've managed to drink a good carton and a half (half a gallon), but I don't think it'll be much of a problem for now.

@Bety_1989: Yep, I'm perfectly comfortable with mixing up foods I like, I sure won't mind adding chicken to my pizza. Sadly I'm not comfortable with vegetables though, I typically steer away from them as much as I can.
    @melimomTARDIS: Thanks for sharing your son's story, it's nice to hear that this can slowly be overcome :) Although his diet seems much more varied than mine, but hopefully in time I'll get used to new foods, and thanks for the website, I'll check it out right away!
    @Springfield19: Yeah, I used to be quite involved when it came to counting calories and protein, but that slowly died down, but with my new motivation to gain weight I'll probably stick to that again.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Before you go to bed:
    Blender
    500ml milk
    1 scoop protein powder (whatever flavour you want)
    75gms porridge oats
    1 banana
    A scoop of ice cream
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
    Or instead of the evoo, a tablespoon of Flax

Blend it, put it in a big cup (doesn't need to be branded maximuscle or whatever, I usually use my kids Mickey Mouse cup)

Neck it down. That's about a thousand calories there in an easy to neck drink.

Do this every evening before bed. Step on the scales after 2 weeks.

Good luck
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Milk shake instead of milk, or those breakfast drinks might be good for added vitamins and protein? sugar in it big no no for me but calories for you = yay
    Can you eat peanut butter, small quantity high calorie, and good for you. I like to add it to ice cream.
    How about coconut oil, good oils, calorie dense, add it to smoothies.
    Try a weight gain protein powder or bar
    Set yourself a goal, maybe try one new food every couple of days. You may surprise yourself. Even things you didn't like as a kid. I loathed sprouts and beetroot. Today I love beetroot, and sprouts, well I don't love them but they don't make me want to throw up any more.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i am so glad i shared. if i can help one person with this problem, than i am happy.

when my son is stressed out his food intake goes to a very simple list of foods. so, no his diet is not always varied!

and yet, (magically?) he is rarely ill, has exuberant energy, and is taller than average with a slimmer than average frame. His pediatrician is NOT worried about his diet, because he is getting good nutrition, and he does not consume some problem foods like some kids his age.

He does take a multi vitamin most days, and he excersizes more than any kid i have ever met.
  • pratymr28
    Options
    Hello Guys.

I am a new member of Fitness pal and I am really happy to be a part of this fitness club.
    I was really looking forward to take some advice from you guys for gaining weight..

I am 26 yrs old, my height is 186 cms and I weigh 61.5 Kgs. I have Irritable bowel syndome which keeps disturbing my diet once a month atleast. But my diet intake is really good and metabolism is super fast. My meals include.. bargery's museli...egg's white...bananas..milk...oat biscuits...veggies...whole wheat bread...boiled white rice... chicken twice a week... and Mass gainer. I have joined gym 10 days ago with an intention to gain muscle weight.

So do you guys think my food intake is healthy and would lead to weight gain with my regular gyming?

Please do advice me whatever you guys feel would help me with the same..

Thank you
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Well lets assume that you are going to be exercising four times a week, if that is the case then your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1653 and your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is 2344.
    The latter is the number of calories you will need to consume per day in order to stay the same weight.
    In order to put on weight you will need to eat MORE than your TDEE. +10% is a good place to start so that means you will need to eat 2344 x 1.1 = 2578 calories per day.

I'll let everyone else argue over your macros.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Well lets assume that you are going to be exercising four times a week, if that is the case then your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1653 and your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is 2344.
    The latter is the number of calories you will need to consume per day in order to stay the same weight.
    In order to put on weight you will need to eat MORE than your TDEE. +10% is a good place to start so that means you will need to eat 2344 x 1.1 = 2578 calories per day.

I'll let everyone else argue over your macros.

Males can gain 1/2 pound of muscle per week alongside the unavoidable 1/2 pound of fat. (The fat gets cut after-no avoiding this unevitability). So that's 3500 extra cals a week (1lb). I calculate that to approx be +20% per day 2344+500= 2844 per day. Plus the 3 x whole body heavy lifting strength training routine.

The 250 figure is the one I as a female use successfully to bulk with the minimum fat gain.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym- unless there is a healthy issue restricting you (via the doctor) you are never to _________ to go to the gym (fat- thin- whatever hang up there is)

Secondly- eat more- drink milk- lots of it. Hard gainers often find drinking their calories is a great solution to supplement real food.

Thirdly- at some point you need to be an adult and expand your diet. You are a fussy eater because you have allowed yourself to be- there are millions of types of food that tastes infinitely better than cheeseburgers and margarita pizza.

Seriously. be and adult- and expand your diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I hear with "fast metabolism" people is that they eat less than they need to to gain weight. Most don't track their calories at all and estimate they eat a lot, when in truth they are eating less than they think they are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition