What time do you work out?

Are you an early bird? A night owl?

Just curious really as I'd like to start getting up earlier than usual and working out then but not sure if I will be able to drag myself out of bed!

Also if you work out early, do you eat before or after?

Replies

• ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    I get up at 4:30 am and do my workout. I find that if I do it first thing, I don't have to worry about life getting in the way and taking up my time. Of course, I do got to bed earlier. Lights out about 9:00 pm.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I get up around 4:45 and am usually working out around 5. I do this to insure I actually workout. Two days a week I run before dinner, if my schedule allows, but I do yoga those mornings. (I can't run in the morning because my treadmill broke, andI can't leave the house because 5 year old would freak if she woke up and her sister was the only one in the house! My husband hits the gym in the am.)

Unless I am ravenous or feeling weak, I do not eat before my morning workout.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    I work out in the morning because it's the only time that's guaranteed to be uninterrupted. I am up by 4:45 and either go to the gym to lift or go a outside for a run or bike ride (it's been a brutal winter so it's been indoor cycling lately). I eat after i'm done. I can't run with food in my stomach and don't think about it on lifting days. So far it hasn't been an issue and i've been at it for 12 years or so.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    My favorite workouts are group classes at my local rec center, and they tend to be in the evenings, so . . . there is one class I take there that starts at 6:30 am, and I typically have a cereal bar before going.
    No way I could get up that early everyday to workout!
  • amybickmore
    amybickmore Posts: 8 Member
    I am not a morning person...I tried a number of times to get up early to exercise, realizing I was just setting myself up for failure. I wasn't able to do it long term and didn't enjoy it...only resented it. I now work out when the kids go to bed. At 8 pm I am on the treadmill for an hour. Yes, it can be tempting to skip it if I'm tired, but I force myself to do it.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    First thing in the morning! I have my clothes laid out and my workout plan planned out the night before so there is no thinking to do.

Also I'll do a light workout or walk in the evenings sometimes as well.

OP - I found my body adapted to my early AM workouts after a couple of weeks. Can't lie though some mornings I would love to stay in my warm, comfy bed , but it feels great knowing my workout is done for the day.

Now I'm off to go workout...

:)
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    I go in clusters, I will run early am before work for a few months, then switch it up to after work, even after dinner in the summer when the evenings are still lighter out and cooler temps. My workout times mainly rely on- hubbys work schedule, my energy levels, what were makin for supper, what time i woke up at which also depends on how late i went to bed, and as a diabetic- what they heck my blood sugar is doing!
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 438 Member
    When the kids are in school.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    I work out in the mornings and then three nights at week at the gym
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    I work out in the AM before everyone else wakes up. I get up any time between 5:30 and 6:30, use the rest room, fill up my water bottle, weigh myself (clothes off and back on again), sometimes throw in a load of laundry, get whatever equipment I need, so its' probably 30 minutes later by the time I actually start my workout, which lasts 60-70 min. I plan to be done by 8 am though, when I wake the kids up.

I also walk on the treadmill after lunch and also after dinner.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    I workout around 6:30pm (after work) then make dinner and relax :) I don't like getting up early and I find that I don't have enough energy (ie. calories) to sustain my workouts, I burn out a lot faster.

I know people say mornings are best to get your metabolism going, but as long as you're exercising you're on the right path!
  • bripow14
    bripow14 Posts: 7 Member
    M-F I get up at 3:30am and am at the gym and started at 3:50am and workout until 5:30am.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    I am a morning workout person! I know if I wait until after work there is a 50-50 chance I'll make an excuse not to go! That is unless I have my running partner waiting, then I will go but I prefer to have my workout done by 7 am! I don't eat until after I shower and get to work! I lay workout and work clothes and semi pack my lunch all the night before!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Half and half noon and evening. Occasionally mid-morning but only because I want to take a class that's offered then. I find I have the best performance after I've been up for a few hours.

When I lift, I never hit PR's (personal records) first thing in the morning.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Coffee pot finishes brewing at 3 am, down a cup working out by 3:30 am, starts my day off perfectly
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Usually early afternoon, between 1pm-3pm.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    4:45 or 5:45am, depending on whether I work that day.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Coffee pot finishes brewing at 3 am, down a cup working out by 3:30 am, starts my day off perfectly

I salute you jwhited 71...that's some dedication.:smile:
  • I work out daily but I'm very sporadic with my times :P Like today, I worked out at noon. I usually work out in the evenings like around 7 pm.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    My days are pretty open right now, I usually work out in the morning, starting about 8-9 ish. I tend to eat first as my workouts feel a lot harder on a completely empty stomach and I never accomplish as much.

When I was working full time, I did my runs straight after work before eating. I'm a bit poor at the very early starts, but I have utmost respect for those that get up at 4:30am to get their exercise in!