Weight Training

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Do not misunderstand, I am not saying heavy weights are bad. But, you can have good results, with lower weights, more repetitions. For some reason, this seems to never be a popular opinion on MFP and beginners are always encouraged to do things like stronglifts. I am saying it is not the only way. One could do a circuit class, do body weight training, use smaller dumbbells for more reps, or lift heavy. Same as if you want to get more cardio done, it can be be workign for 2 hours, or running for an hour, or doing a Zumba class or going to the pool and so on. There are several ways to get the result you want ;) Of course with any scenario you will have to put in the work, no one is saying that doing 20 relaxed bicep curls with 0.5 lbs weight are going to get you anywhere.

Agreed...my sister does a lot of resistence training, cardio and karate and has a very nice figure...nice shoulders, great abs (v cut) etc...and she doesn't lift heavy but she does spend at least 2 hours a day doing her workouts, and she is not strong. She started with 3lb pinks now is up to 15-20lb pinks...which is great...at least she doesn't just do cardio now and understands my point of view. She will never lift like I do...she has no desire to.

She is 125 and can't do a chinup...I am 159 and can do two.

It is all in your goals on what you want to do...if you want a look and don't care about strength resistence training of any sort is the way to go...

however if you want strength and that look, heavy is the way to go.

ETA: I encourage resistence training and when someone says 30DS or body rev doesn't work I disagree with them as I know it does work and it's not just "cardio".
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My apologies for the mistake jrhanna. I assumed male based upon the deadlift amount. May I add that I am quite impressed. I know quite a few men your age who couldn`t come close to 220. Well done!

I wish you loads of luck on continuing that streak and hope you will able to surpass that with a new PR!

@jharris, thank you for the kind words. Compliments are always welcome and appreciated! :)

wow really? I deadlift 200lbs and female...

There are women here who deadlift over 300lbs..squat over 200lbs...

That's cause the women on here kick butt! Can't wait to join the ranks of the REALLY heavy lifters!