Low Cal Bread Options?

Options
I just realized that the bread I eat, Pepperidge Farm Light Style (reduced calorie) has High Fructose Corn Syrup and Soy in it (both of which I TRY to avoid) which makes me sad bc I buy it for $1.00 and it's low cal. ANY BREAD SUGGESTIONS? Of course whole grain but something low cal and no junk? Thanks!!!

Replies

• frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Any of the joseph's wraps….whole grain, high fiber, low carbs
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Arnold's Stone Ground 100% Wheat Bread. It has soy but no corn syrup. 70 cals a slice.

Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil, Cracked Wheat, Salt, Molasses, Mono - and Diglycerides, Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Calcium Sulfate, Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    make Cloud Bread - it's cream cheese & egg and that's pretty much it. Really. Easy to make, no carb, tasty. I am pretty sure you can find recipes on here for it or just Google it, recipes are all around.

edit to add recipe

Cloud Bread

Yields 10 “clouds”.
    Author: MOMables.com
    Ingredients

3 eggs, separated
    3 Tablespoons cream cheese (softened) OR 3 Tablespoons cottage cheese
    ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 Tablespoon honey, or 4-6 drops liquid stevia, or 1 stevia packet (optional)

Instructions

reheat the oven to 300 degrees. Spray two cookie sheets well with non-stick cooking spray.

Separate the eggs very carefully, making sure no yolk gets in the whites.

In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 tablespoons of cream cheese OR cottage cheese and the sweetener until smooth.

In the other bowl add ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form stiff peaks.

Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until thoroughly mixed, being careful not to break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.

With a large spoon, scoop the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets (roughly ¾ inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across).

Bake on the middle rack for approximately 30 minutes. Cooking times may vary, so be sure to watch closely and pull them when the tops are golden brown.

Remove from the pans and cool on a rack or cutting board.

When they are fresh out of the oven, they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue. Once they completely cool, (after being stored overnight in a plastic baggie or Tupperware container) they will change their consistency, to a softer bread texture that is nice and chewy. If you aren’t after the bread consistency, then eat them as they are, nice and crisp.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Sara lee 45 calorie a slice.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own has a 40cal bread option, idk what ingredients are in it, they have a lot of different breads in that range. Alternatively, flour tortillas are about 90cals a piece (but considering that you only have to use one instead of two pieces of bread, it's a good option), but IDK how the ingredients are on that either. There's also a girl on Youtube who makes Raw Vegan Gluten Free Onion Bread that is TO DIE FOR, but you have to make it and have a dehydrator. Here she is if you're interested, it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. No idea about the calories though. I just know it's the best bread I've ever had. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-tJX660VI
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    dunno if you have them where you are but warburtons thins are lovely and only 100 cal.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Here is a list I found on the Internet but I highly suggest that you check out the ingredient labels of the product before buying:

• Pepperidge Farms whole grain honey oat
    • Nature's Own Sugar Free 100% Whole Grain bread
    • Nature's Own -Honey 7 Grain
    • Nature's Own 100% whole wheat
    • Martins Potato breads and rolls
    • Thomas's Low Carb English Muffins
    • Thomas Hearty Grain Honey Wheat English Muffins (?)
    • Nature's Own -Healthline SugarFree Wholewheat
    • Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain breads (in freezer section)
    • Francisco International Extra Sour Dough bread (the regular Sour Dough has it!)
    • Pepperidge Farm Honey Wheatberry
    • Milton's Wheat and Multi-grain bread
    • Bagels from a local Jewish bakery
    • Kirkland brand (Costco) multigrain bread
    • Sara Lee Cinnamon Raisin
    • Pepperidge Farm whole grain bagel
    • Matthew's All Natural Bread
    • Amana Multi Grain Bread
    • Country Hearth 12-Grain Bread
    • Earth Grains 100% Natural 7-Grain Bread
    • Orrow Wheat Light 100% Whole Wheat
    • Rays New York Bagels
    • Whole Foods store brand hot dog and hamburger buns (they are whole wheat)
    • FlatOut Bread
    • Alternative Bagel --- sweat wheat
  • _Nicklebee
    Options
    I understand you want a LOW calories bread, but sometimes eating something high in calories, but with loads of benefits can have the same effect as eating something low in calories.

I go for whole wheat bread, and understand some breads say "Whole Wheat" but upon looking at the labels it'll say "enriched flour". DO NOT get those kinds.

http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/identifying-whole-grain-products - good website to help finding the right kind of breads -

Understand, Whole Wheat Bread VS White Bread has totally different benefits, even though you may want to pick the white bread since it's about half the calories… DO NOT.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm with you nicklebee. I less bread and make it good quality. Yet I still wish there was a good quality bread that I could feel good about eating 2 slices of. I've found a lot of the wraps everyone is happy about the serving size is for half. Again you can't even eat the whole thing.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes by you, try the Sprouted Seven Grain bread. It's 60 calories a slice and offers some actually nutrition and doesn't feel like it's full of air. Low cal fluff bread isn't my thing, though. I like it dense!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread, thin. So yum!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Daves Killer Bread...the thin sliced loaf. Google Daves Killer Bread for an interesting read.
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look around and try some of them!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I suggest that If you are gong to eat bread then make it count and go for the higher calories but very good for you 100% whole wheat bread. don't eat anything that has enriched/bleached flour. this is not natural. that is my suggeston anyways.