Everything happens for a reason...

Options

Replies

• gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes, everything happens for a reason. Typically that reason is I am an idiot who doesn't seem to learn from past mistakes.

Hey now Summertime...chin up. You've got a great profile name I can't wait for summer!!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do agree that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! This has been my year for that!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Yes, everything happens for a reason. Typically that reason is I am an idiot who doesn't seem to learn from past mistakes.

This^^¥¥¥
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Everything happens for a reason but, it is what we make it.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    nah.
  • leila_bunny
    leila_bunny Posts: 114
    Options
    I think only some things happen for a reason…. spilling your protein drink all over yourself doesn't happen for a reason unless there's someone there to lick it off.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There is a causality behind things that happen. The reason or some may call it purpose is from our own perception or judgement of the event. In the context of this question in its essence there is a reason for everything (causality) but from a purpose perspective "reason" the meaning is what power we give to it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I do agree that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! This has been my year for that!

My husband's response to that mantra is- "but what if it doesn't kill you, but leaves you in a coma, or a quadriplegic? You definitely are not stronger!"

He can be :laugh: such a killjoy sometimes!
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I got a 4.0 GPA with several AP classes which earned me college credits and everything that wasn't AP was honors. I was a really good kid. I skipped two years and graduated very early. When I did, I took a two years off to wait until I'd be the same age as everyone else in college (+have a car, lol). Anyway, when I went to apply I was declined because the State of Florida changed the requirements from 3 units of math to 4. Well, obviously I couldn't go back to high school and retake that last math class that was not required (or even offered) upon my graduation. I called several colleges, the board of education, etc., all for no real answer. I took it upon myself to write a very long winded letter to the Dean, who accepted me into college based on my powers of persuasion, considering that I was now under-qualified. When I received my acceptance letter, I told the college NO. Why? Because if they were that easy to manipulate and getting accepted into college is as easy as crafting a few words together, then I didn't want to be part of that school anyway. So, I stagnated for another year, opened a business with what would have been my tuition, which grew large enough for me to sell out and open another business which is doing better than the first. No education required. I got denied for a reason: so that I could be better off and more self-reliant than I would have otherwise been.

ETA: Note, I was totally destroyed when I got denied.
    I relate the most to this. I had gotten rejected from a residency and all my friends got one. I'm working now and decided not to try again this year. I haven't figured out the reason I got rejected yet but I like to think there's a good reason for it..
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options

My husband's response to that mantra is- "but what if it doesn't kill you, but leaves you in a coma, or a quadriplegic? You definitely are not stronger!"

He can be :laugh: such a killjoy sometimes!
    :laugh:
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ye i think so.. some things happen for a reason..

i went to a works christmas party with a female friend when i was 18, i had been partying for 2 weeks and had no money left but it was her works christmas party and she insisted i go since she won the lottery numbers at work that day she would pay.

i never got dressed up, i was wearing loose black office clothing, there was 2 branches of the company at the party. A lot of nice guys , blonde blue eyes body builders, which was my thing back then. I got lots of attention but i was in a relationship kind of with an army lad who had been home on leave 2 weeks but was off with his mates i'd not seen him.

Then a gorgeous bum walked passed me at eye level , he turned around looked straight into my eyes smiled and said.. im going to marry you. i laughed but we started talking and a whole weekend passed, you could'nt seperate us, he proposed 6 weeks later and 3 days after that i found i was pregnant, we had 4 babies within 5 years. ( i was never supposed to be able to conceive i have pcos). We were together 20 year last christmas..

Neither of us should have been at that party, my friend worked at one branch and his brother worked at another, we both had no money and were forced to go to the party , we had both just moved back into the area a couple of months before. Later we found we had at different times in our youth we had always had the chance to meet but never did.
    1. his brother and him were in the same school year as my brother when i was 5-10 yrs right next to my school.
    2. he told me how he moved away from the area but came back one weekend on a night out and ended up fighting with a lad, i was about 15 then, i seen the fight but a pillar in the building was hiding the guy that was fighting the lad i was out with. It was him lol
    3. his brother had a fight with a guy who was seeing his ex wife, that guy was the best mate of my boyfriend at 16.

4. i moved about 200 miles away when i was 16 went to college for 2 yrs. when i came back all the lads i had known as mates growing up were asking me out and i had said nooooooo... he had moved to spain to live for the summer at least and came home at christmas and met me.

he had been good friends and hanging around with all the same people i knew all our lives, but on the other side of town mostly but we never met lol
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Every cause is followed by an effect. So yeah I believe everything happens for a reason. And that reason is who you are.
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    Not at all. It is an easily held belief to make sense of the harder moments in life, but things truly are random, from the sperm that takes purchase to the shooting on the school bus.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    They claim everything happens for a reason. Do you believe that??? Can you share any stories that made you realize that was the reason why things happened the way they did?

Yes, I do. I used to be really into this idea, too. But now I realize that the reason that some things happen isn't always a good reason. So I just stick to positive stuff when I say "everything happens for a reason".
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I think only some things happen for a reason…. spilling your protein drink all over yourself doesn't happen for a reason unless there's someone there to lick it off.

Sure there's a reason...you dropped the drink!
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    They claim everything happens for a reason. Do you believe that??? Can you share any stories that made you realize that was the reason why things happened the way they did?

I think it's strictly literally true...and a completely inane statement.
    There is a reason everything happens. But that doesn't mean there was a plan.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Sure there's a reason...you dropped the drink!
    You know, I don't even agree with this.

Dropping the drink didn't cause the spill, the drink could have sprayed outward from you, it merely made the spill possible. Perhaps it even made it probable, but it didn't make it certain.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Every cause is followed by an effect. So yeah I believe everything happens for a reason. And that reason is who you are.

Yay Science!
    Cause & Effect