Help with finding the right yogurt

Options
hush404
hush404 Posts: 95 Member
I've never been one for yogurt, but have been absolutely in love with these little yogurt parfait dishes made up at a few of my local super markets. They usually contain an assortment of berries, granola and yogurt; the yogurt seems unflavored to my tongue but is either slightly sweet or neutral to me (giving way to the taste of the berries/granola) which I love.

However, on my own attempts to recreate this with my own ingredients, I have continually failed with the yogurt. Every brand/product I've tried has a tart, even sour taste to me which ruins the whole thing (and is the reason I disliked yogurt in my younger years). Can anyone help me out? I'm honestly stabbing blinding into the dark when it comes to yogurt. Thanks.

Replies

• SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for regular or greek yogurt, or does it matter? I've found I like the vanilla flavored yogurts more than plain. It's not overpowering so you can still taste the fruit or whatever you add. I have also converted to greek yogurt. It has a lot more protein and actually fills me up, unlike regular. You can also try adding protein powder to boost it even higher.

I like the Dannon lite & fit and Dannon activia brands. Both are low in carbs and calories and I can still get flavors like blueberry. Fage brand is very high in protein but to me tastes terrible plain. I add honey or sweetener and cinnimon or pumpkin pie spices to it to make it edible, and that was only because I didn't want to waste it. But Fage is a great substitute for sour cream in dishes. Or add a packet of ranch seasoning for a healthy veggie dip.

Restaurant created parfaits are almost always loaded with sugar and cals. You may need to resign yourself to something that tastes a little different than that in order to have a healthier version.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dannon light Fit Greek either the vanilla or the toasted coconut vanilla would be my choice for making a parfait like you mentioned
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I also use Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt, vanilla flavor. Chop up some strawberries, add blueberries, etc. So yummy.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with plain yogurt but I do prefer vanilla as well. Or perhaps you could sweeten your plain yogurt with honey or a sugar substitute? I know that some brands had a "sweetened plain" yogurt flavour too but I'm blanking on which ones and Google isn't helping.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Start with greek yogurt (Fage or Chobani) as a base and add your own ingredients; fruit, honey, granola,etc. I like to toss a small amount of crystal light in there. Just keep experimenting until you find something that works.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If I am mixing it I choose vanilla greek...mainly because it doesn't over power the flavor of what is being mixed in and it's thick and has lots of protien.
  • _Nicklebee
    Options
    You want a yogurt that says "Live and Active Cultures". Chobani is one.

They're probably using something like Yoplait, which isn't very healthy when it comes to the benefits of REAL yogurt.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I use Cabot Greek Yogurt. I add granola or fruit. I am pre diabetic so I stay away from some popular brands because of excess ingredients.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I really like Cabot Vanilla Bean Greek style yogurt. It's a little pricey, but it's not as tart as other yogurts. I don't mind Fage or Chobani as long as it's one of the kinds with fruit, but plain yogurt usually grosses me out (it reminds me too much of sour cream, which I've always hated).
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Most of those pre-made parfaits use vanilla yogurt. I make my own parfaits with Dannon Light and Fit Carb control vanilla, Bare Naked banana nut granola, and berries. Unbelievably yummy! You can use plain greek yogurt and flavor it with a drop of vanilla extract and a sweetener packet. I do that when I cant find my carb control yogurt.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek yogurt + I'm loving the Chobani Flip which comes with stuff you can mix in. Extra good and lots of protein.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Do they make them in the store? If so, just ask them.
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think when they make those, they use vanilla yogurt.
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For me, this is the best. Amazing protein content, no fat, very low sugar: only the good stuff! And look at flavour options… YUM!

http://products.usa.fage.eu/fage-total-0-6-oz
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do they make them in the store? If so, just ask them.

Yes, I had that thought. I thought I'd ask here first to see what people had to suggest :)

Thanks all for the replies everyone , it gives me a good base to start from :)
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I often use plain (unflavored) greek yogurt (brands I use Krema and Liberte) and add stuff to it. I'll put in a bit of my own extract (vanilla, almond) or honey (or both) or lemon zest, so help get rid of the sour cream type taste. Im with a previous poster though... one you make at home wont be as sweet as a commercially made one- your tastebuds will adjust over time! Liberte also has some AWESOME flavored yogurts (they have a lemon one and a lime one that is to DIE FOR)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Chobani greek yogurt, until I tried Yoplait greek yogurt. Yoplait greek taste waaaaayyy better. They even have Yoplait Greek 100, meaning only 100 calories. You can use the vanilla blended flavor for parfaits.Taste is extremely importantly to me and Yoplait reigns supreme. Chobani does have a slightly higher protein content and less sugar, but I can't stand the chalky, sour taste of it.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The vegan yogurts usually don't have as strong a taste. Try the coconut or almond ones.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Give Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt in Vanilla a try! I like to mix in blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or banana slices and it's got the sweetness that you're seeking without overpowering the flavour of the fruit!
  • O_2bThin
    O_2bThin Posts: 3
    Options
    I like Dannon Nonfat yogurt or the Greek Yogurt I also found the others too tart.. but I did like this one.
    give it a try.