Stress when trying to build muscle

Options
Hey guys! So currently in my life I am super busy with projects, meetings, and work-related things. The gym used to be my outlet to de-stress. But recently I've been unable to have solid weight training sessions. While I'm at the gym I constantly think about all of the things that I need to get done.

Has anyone had this problem before? What are some suggestions you have to help me so I can actually have decent work-outs despite being abnormally busy (and abnormally stressed)?

Thanks!

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar issue the past few weeks...in my case though, I'm constantly thinking about food and my next meal because it's been so hard to find the right intake to resume gaining again. And I think about all the things I need to do but haven't finished as well.

I think it's just a phase that one has to pass through. Doing something like this takes a lot of mental effort to make big changes and make them a habit. You have to make it a priority for a while until it becomes habitual.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The stress is really not good if your trying to build muscle. The stress hormone cortisol will hinder your progress (in all honesty that's about as much as I know - don't know the whole scientific process). Cortisol is not as present when there is an insulin spike so it's good to have some simple carbs after a workout. That's obviously only going to help you out for a couple of hours though.

I'd really make an effort to get back to working out regularly ( I know I feel a lot happier since starting to exercise). I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about things, that never helps.

Maybe some kind of yoga or relaxation class would help? Or even just half an hour post workout stretching and foam rolling. Or even something as simple as having good solid tunes to lift to, might help get you in the zone.
  • CherylReneeW
    CherylReneeW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Think of the gym as another project, but an enjoyable one. Schedule it in to your day. I find that if I make it a point to go to the gym and lift, I am better able to focus on my work projects after a hard workout. If all you can squeeze in for the day is 30-45 minutes, focus on doing super sets. You need to take time for you.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    The stress is really not good if your trying to build muscle. The stress hormone cortisol will hinder your progress (in all honesty that's about as much as I know - don't know the whole scientific process). Cortisol is not as present when there is an insulin spike so it's good to have some simple carbs after a workout. That's obviously only going to help you out for a couple of hours though.

I'd really make an effort to get back to working out regularly ( I know I feel a lot happier since starting to exercise). I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about things, that never helps.

Maybe some kind of yoga or relaxation class would help? Or even just half an hour post workout stretching and foam rolling. Or even something as simple as having good solid tunes to lift to, might help get you in the zone.

Honestly, this all is the last thing anyone should think/worry about. No one should stress over stress.

Listen to this Ted Talk on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcGyVTAoXEU
  • 3laine75
    Options

Honestly, this all is the last thing anyone should think/worry about. No one should stress over stress.

Listen to this Ted Talk on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcGyVTAoXEU

Knowledge is power, in my opinion.

I also offered 4 possible suggestions in my answer, you offered none - just talked about what was happening to you.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You need to learn about time management. Some basics, is to get a good nights sleep. This is vital for your mental health, and gives the body time to repair its muscles etc. Many succesful people wake up early, to plan their day ahead. A good breakfast within the first hour of waking up, should set you up for the day, and keep well hydrated. Take some supplements, to boost your immune system. Cut down on caffeine, as well as sugar and alcohol. Last but not least, eat every 4 waking hours. Hope this helps.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

I also offered 4 possible suggestions in my answer, you offered none - just talked about what was happening to you.

Ok, let me fix that...

The scientific reason behind all this is that cortisol is a glucocorticoid hormone. Glucocorticoids, at least one major role of them, is to mobilize glycogen from storage and allow it to be broken down into glucose for energy. The physiological reason this happens under stress is that stress is a situation where there is a need for more energy. Especially if food is scarce, you have to mobilize your stored energy and be able to use it to power your muscles. The last thing your body wants to do in times of high energy use is to build muscle.

The problem is that if you use up your glycogen, your muscles don't have the energy they need to rebuild...it's costly. That's also why eating carbs interferes with the process (as you stated) and can help keep the muscles in a situation where they can rebuild. Insulin works in the opposite direction of cortisol, and promotes glycogen synthesis. It's released when we eat carbs, and the glucose is moved to storage and turned to glycogen by a series of reactions.

Not all stress necessarily prevents muscle from being synthesized entirely. Everything depends on the degree to which it happens. And I personally feel it's not healthy to worry about stress. Building muscle can be stressful enough by itself without also being worried about being worried about it.

Did you watch the video? I posted it here for the OP, for you, and for anyone else who might be worried/stressed.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Simple....

Leave work at work.....

Focus on the task at hand
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a crazy phase as well, and honestly, *sometimes* it helps me to think that all that crap is really temporary, but taking care of my body is something that will last. It doesn't work every time, but yeah, looking at all this overwhelming stuff from a distance -by putting it into context- can help.
    Good luck!
  • cindym29
    cindym29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best thing that makes me focus on my workouts is music. Put your headphones in and just listen to the beat/lyrics and that pumps me up enough or distracts me enough that I am capable of pushing through the toughest workouts. Find music that consumes you and you should be good to go!!

or just schedule your workouts as a meeting, and that's the ONLY focus, is keeping your meeting. Plus, remind yourself that you can't change anything else at that moment of your workout. so don't think about it, focus on each rep, each muscle, each breath that you take while working. it takes practice, but trying to keep your mind focused on the task at hand helps you accomplish more!

best of luck!
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning would be my advice. You haven't been exposed to the workplace that day yet and you are less likely to be worried about work stuff.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning would be my advice. You haven't been exposed to the workplace that day yet and you are less likely to be worried about work stuff.
    This is also my approach... Working out during the day or in the evening just doesn't happen because of all the other things going on. i found that working out first thing in the morning when everyone else is still asleep also helps in reducing everyday stress: there is nobody around yammering. It's "me-time"! :flowerforyou:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So currently in my life I am super busy with projects, meetings, and work-related things. The gym used to be my outlet to de-stress. But recently I've been unable to have solid weight training sessions. While I'm at the gym I constantly think about all of the things that I need to get done.

Has anyone had this problem before? What are some suggestions you have to help me so I can actually have decent work-outs despite being abnormally busy (and abnormally stressed)?

Thanks!

Nope , when iv got hundreds of pounds above me all I can think about is getting that shyt up :laugh:

On a serious note , gym is the place to go wild and let it all out , if you stressing just push harder and increase the intensity , trust me you wont be thinking about "life" when all you can think about is catching your breath
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    This is also my approach... Working out during the day or in the evening just doesn't happen because of all the other things going on. i found that working out first thing in the morning when everyone else is still asleep also helps in reducing everyday stress: there is nobody around yammering. It's "me-time"! :flowerforyou:

Yeah same here! I go to the gym before reading any emails (even though I get them on my phone) that way I don't know yet that my day will be crazy. And most of my days are crazy. Also helps me not to find excuses to cut a workout short or not go at all if I'm stuck at work until 7 or there is yet another evening session with wine I have to go to...
  • 3laine75
    Options

Ok, let me fix that...

The scientific reason behind all this is that cortisol is a glucocorticoid hormone. Glucocorticoids, at least one major role of them, is to mobilize glycogen from storage and allow it to be broken down into glucose for energy. The physiological reason this happens under stress is that stress is a situation where there is a need for more energy. Especially if food is scarce, you have to mobilize your stored energy and be able to use it to power your muscles. The last thing your body wants to do in times of high energy use is to build muscle.

The problem is that if you use up your glycogen, your muscles don't have the energy they need to rebuild...it's costly. That's also why eating carbs interferes with the process (as you stated) and can help keep the muscles in a situation where they can rebuild. Insulin works in the opposite direction of cortisol, and promotes glycogen synthesis. It's released when we eat carbs, and the glucose is moved to storage and turned to glycogen by a series of reactions.

Not all stress necessarily prevents muscle from being synthesized entirely. Everything depends on the degree to which it happens. And I personally feel it's not healthy to worry about stress. Building muscle can be stressful enough by itself without also being worried about being worried about it.

Did you watch the video? I posted it here for the OP, for you, and for anyone else who might be worried/stressed.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of all this is?

No, I didn't watch the video as I'm not stressed - glad you put something useful up for the OP though.

I don't think the OP was stressing about stress, and I don't think my original post (or your elaborating on a subject that you thought thinking about might be harmful to an adult?) would have caused her to stress about stress either. She said she had a busy (and stressful) schedule that was messing with her workouts.

I assumed hers was a strength routine and as such she'd be hoping to build muscle so I felt it prudent to mention cortisol, briefly, incase she was not aware of it or aware that insulin is anabolic and may help with her overall goals if manipulated after a workout.

I stand by my advice of getting back to regularly working out as, in my experience, it's pretty hard to be stressed about a mundane thing like work when you just owned all your lifts :) I know nothing about relaxation techniques or yoga but I threw that in as an aside because I've heard it can be useful to other people.

I am sorry if I've upset your sensibilities in some way by offering advice but this is a public forum and the OP did ask for advice. I have only been called out on here twice before - once was by a vegan getting her protein from broccoli and the second from a self-professed PMS sufferer - what's your deal?

OP: sorry for hijacking and hope the workouts are going well.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm with you 100% always had a tough time workign out when really stressed. Everyone I know uses stress as an outlet but I think when you get to the point you are really lifting heavy weight you have to be so focused on your training that stress just derails it. With a very stressful job, a two year old, and a wife with a very stressful job I hear you bud!

Everyday I try to work on my stress not just to workout but in the longrun it is just so bad for your health. You know what helped me? And this is kinda weird...but my dad owns a funeral home and I was talking to him about a year ago and he said "everyday I see people of all ages here; young, old, sick, and healthy...dead. Life is too short don't hold yourself back because of stress, don't let stress paralyze you. LIfe is too short....just enjoy it...live it...go get it. What is the worst that is going to happen? I see people of all ages passed away and the best I advise I can give is live, live, live. You'll always have a little stress but harness it, use it, and live."

sounds a little corny i know but it really helped put things into perspecitve. I grew up in the funeral business and my dad is right when you talk to someone sick ready to die they all say they wish they wouldn't have stressed so much and should have just gone for things, take more risks, now sweat the small stuff, etc. etc.
  • lowfyr
    lowfyr Posts: 9
    Options
    dunno, i always get super angry when i lift, and cant think of anything else then pushing... maybe you arent challanging yourself enough?

Have you tried taking creatine?
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    dunno, i always get super angry when i lift, and cant think of anything else then pushing... maybe you arent challanging yourself enough?

Have you tried taking creatine?

different people have different stress responses. Some workout better and more focused, some are scatterbrained and can't. I know for me it takes a great deal of focus to get into a lifting session and if i am very stressed that is difficult.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Simple....

Leave work at work.....

Focus on the task at hand

This.

I don't "de-stress" at the gym. I don't work out better angry- I just work out when I am focused.

I don't do anything but focus on my lifting. I make small talk with gym buddies- but ultimately- I don't really focus on anything else by my lifts- I don't have time to.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

Ok, let me fix that...

I'm not entirely sure what the point of all this is?

No, I didn't watch the video as I'm not stressed - glad you put something useful up for the OP though.

I don't think the OP was stressing about stress, and I don't think my original post (or your elaborating on a subject that you thought thinking about might be harmful to an adult?) would have caused her to stress about stress either. She said she had a busy (and stressful) schedule that was messing with her workouts.

I assumed hers was a strength routine and as such she'd be hoping to build muscle so I felt it prudent to mention cortisol, briefly, incase she was not aware of it or aware that insulin is anabolic and may help with her overall goals if manipulated after a workout.

I stand by my advice of getting back to regularly working out as, in my experience, it's pretty hard to be stressed about a mundane thing like work when you just owned all your lifts :) I know nothing about relaxation techniques or yoga but I threw that in as an aside because I've heard it can be useful to other people.

I am sorry if I've upset your sensibilities in some way by offering advice but this is a public forum and the OP did ask for advice. I have only been called out on here twice before - once was by a vegan getting her protein from broccoli and the second from a self-professed PMS sufferer - what's your deal?

OP: sorry for hijacking and hope the workouts are going well.

We have different takes on this topic, and we both feel it's an important one.. It's that simple.

And it's a controversial topic, by nature...even at the level of cutting edge research. You know how many neuroscientists are studying stress? I don't have a number...but there are many, and for good reason.

Finally: did I ever say anything bad about your advice itself? No. I just felt that your first post was telling OP that she has a good reason to be worried about stress levels, and needs to get her cortisol under control. The problem is, that can cause more stress...and we have an epidemic of stress in society today. But a lot of that is due to how it's perceived! I really think you'll enjoy that video if you give it a watch, btw.