New member trying to lose weight in mid section...any tips?

Options
missbeautyb
missbeautyb Posts: 27 Member
I have just joined MFP today and need some advice/tips. I a 5'7 and weigh 187 pounds. My problem area is my midsection including back fat, stomach, and muffin top. I know its not possible to spot reduce but so far I have been doing aerobics and walking to lose start losing overall fat. It is really hard to stay motivated so hopefully by joing MFP and keeping track of everything, I can lose 27 pounds by the summer! Any tips and and advice is appreciated. Would love to hear some success stories.

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key. Make weekly goals, make sure you eat right and exercise 5 days or more. Eliminate processed, un clean foods, and you will see changes. Summer is around the corner so be ready to work hard. You are here and the exercises of choice are a great start. Good luck! Is possible. You will see!

I started in April and by Oct. I lost 27 pounds. I need to loose 30 more so I am on my way. What has worked for me: exercising everyday and doing various things and I eat lots of veggies, fruit, nuts and grains. I do have my setbacks, but I get up and move on! I love this MFP. It helps a lot.

My mid section is my worst part. I have lost inches everywhere else, but for me my belly has taken the longest. I do lots of crunches, planks and bike riding.
  • KatieAr21
    KatieAr21 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the same problem area. When I started my weight loss journey I was close to your weight and height. I have lost about 17-18 lbs and still struggle to lose in that area. I do 45 mins of cardio 4-5 times a week and various weight machines. I have included a link to the piece of ab equipment that really burns my "love handles" and lower back fat. They are at most gyms! Feel free to add me, or anyone for that matter.

http://exerciseprograms.co/wp-content/uploads/Abdominal-Exercise-Equipment-222x300.jpg
  • 1Way2exhale
    1Way2exhale Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It has been two weeks since I started working on my abs using 8 Min Abs exercise. See link: http://youtu.be/x59f9A1l0ao
    I have noticed my stomach and muffin top slowing shrinking. They say if you do this every other day you will notice a difference in a month.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    unfortunatly you can't spot reduce you will lose weight where your body wants it too...as you know.

Eat at a reasonable calorie deficet is all you need to do...

I have found lifting weights using a progressive load lifting program has done wonders for my whole body tho..midsection/back fat included
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I was reading that planks and side planks are better than sit-ups and crunches. They work the core a lot more and you are less likely to develop back problems.
  • jsimm2127
    jsimm2127 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hate my midsection, it is where I hold all my weight. I have ok arms and great legs but my fricken tummy is the last place I lose weight from. I actually bought shapewear camis to make me feel better :(. They will have to do til all this work starts to pay off in the middle.
  • sstone8507
    sstone8507 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started out with almost the exact same measurements and weight. There are several things to keep in mind.
    1. The waistline starts in the kitchen so eating healthy helps
    2. IF you are like me you will loose the muffin top last, so make sure you are looking at the overall weight loss, the mid section will change.
    3. Consistency is key. Consistent exercise, diet and include strength training and you will hit your goal.
  • missbeautyb
    missbeautyb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can stick to my fitness plan! I cant wait to start dropping pounds
  • tljokinen
    Options
    Try keeping carbs to 65 daily. calories at 1300.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Try keeping carbs to 65 daily. calories at 1300.

What is the basis of this advice? How did you arrive at these numbers?
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My midriff/tummy/back/muffin top are my worst areas too. I do exercises I found on Youtube-searched for "back fat" and "abs" etc. I find that exercises where you can "feel" muscles in your torso (like the lats) moving or straining are really helpful. I exercise at home using resistance bands, fitness balls, hand weights, etc. and as I drop weight and tone those muscles, the love handles are shrinking!
  • losergurl897
    Options
    hello, some ways that I have been able to have progress seem like small things. I find new ways to incorporate veggies into my meals. I bring fruits and healthy snacks with me to work or outings to curve hunger and cravings so i don't eat junk food. I also try to be more active. I have a son so he easily keeps me busy and on my feet. Find something you enjoy doing like a sport or dancing so it doesn't seem like work.
  • aworkoutroutine
    aworkoutroutine Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this... but it's usually the last to go. So it's just cutting overall calorie intake over time that will do it. I wish we could pick where we lose fat!
  • buildabetterbody66
    Options
    No miracles here. It takes time. When body fat is reduced then abs improve. Abs are created in the kitchen, not the gym. Crunches, sit ups, etc. will strengthen muscle beneath the fat and improve your core, but drastic results will not be evident until fat is lower. I am not discouraging you. I have been in the same boat. I didn't get out of shape overnight and getting in shape isn't over night either....but consistency will get us there.
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 too and 185 pounds. I like doing yoga because it feels great after, when everything is stretched out. I also like it because i can do it without having back pain, which i get when i do crunches. I like doing exercises that are on Live Strong Women. http://www.youtube.com/user/LivestrongWoman