breathing while running

Options

Replies

• Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I found it really difficult to sync my breathing and had to really concentrate on it. As I slowly got better at running the breathing part just came naturally and now I find I don't even need to think about it at all. I also do the 3 breaths in and 2 breaths out but can't remember if its through the mouth or nose.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Heh, the way I use the elliptical, it is just as hard as outdoor running for me. Interval setting, full pelt, dripping sweat within 16 minutes.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    A lot of great responses on this thread. I found that you have to have a rhythm. If you're breathing sporadically it can make you nervous and start gasping for air. A rhythm will keep your body relaxed. Personally I run 2 steps short breaths in/2 steps out with a long exhale. During training I attempt to run at a slower pace breathing in and out through the nose to train your body to perform with less oxygen. Although, this is challenging. In the military we sing cadences when we run which is also just another way for you to control your breathing. Rhythm is everything. As far as the dry mouth I would suggest keeping a bottled water and lightly wet the whistle if your on a treadmill. Good luck and keep at it!! :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Runners breathe in through their noses, out thru the mouth. I've been running races since I was 6 years old, and trained as a runner. When you're training, they teach you in thru the nose out thru the mouth. Sometimes I do in and out thru the nose, but I always have my mouth closed when I'm running generally.

It takes practice, but you'll get it

Not all Runners. Some of us just let our body breathe the way it wants to. I think many people put way too much thought into breathing while you run. Would you be thinking "in through the nose, out through the mouth" if you were being chased by a Zombie? No. You would just run.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used to be a mouth breather, and I used to be a smoker. As a runner, I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. Your pace is what you feel comfortable with but I found as I got back into running last year that I could only go short intervals. I started with walking, then power walking then jogging for as little as a quarter mile at a time, power walk, jog intervals and slowly increased my jogging distance. If I feel myself getting winded quickly I try to pace my inhalations with my pace and concentrate on deep steady breathing.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! My suggestion would be to start out with a strong power walk to warm up and get your breathing going. Even if you start out breathing through your nose, eventually, your body will want more, and you'll be huffing and puffing through your mouth. I always found it easier, if I have a rhythm. For me this is inhaling (not too deep) one step, exhaling 3 steps, always making sure to squeeze as much air out of my lungs as possible before inhaling again. It won't take long to get used to this. When you're warmed up, try it running. After a few runs, you won't even have to think about it.
    FYI...power walk doesn't mean casual stroll... You should be walking briskly (and later running, too), and not be able have enough breath left to hold a conversation on the side. Too much chit-chat will also have a negative effect on your breathing.... I see too much talking on the cardio machines these days... =)
    Good luck!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would say slow down until your breathing is relaxed and you're not really thinking about it. I do most of my runs at a speed that doesn't get me out of breath. Sometimes I try to concentrate on breathing through my nose, but mostly I think about other aspects of my form, so I tend to breathe through my mouth. It doesn't hurt my throat anymore. I think part of that is experience is part of it is slowing down.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner on and off since I was young. When I was overweight and ran, it was difficult due to excess fat so I would breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. Now that I'm a healthy weight I just breathe normally.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank youuuuu!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Runners breathe in through their noses, out thru the mouth. I've been running races since I was 6 years old, and trained as a runner. When you're training, they teach you in thru the nose out thru the mouth. Sometimes I do in and out thru the nose, but I always have my mouth closed when I'm running generally.

It takes practice, but you'll get it

Do they? Every runner I know breathes through their mouth. Breathing through my nose, speaking from my own personal experience would not get me enough oxygen, quick enough. I do however, breathe in through nose and out through mouth during day-to-day living, but when running - it just doesn't work and I would end up passing out LOL

OP unfortunately, it is just something you are going to have to persevere with and get used to, but get used to it if you will, providing you continue.

Take a look at runners in marathons on TV and world-class runners, they do not keep their mouths shut when running, that is because they are breathing through their mouths.
  • kb2699
    kb2699 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always use lip balm before I go out running, and like to keep a piece of mint gum in my mouth (I don't actually chew it) as I find that makes me feel less like I'm drying out :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I suffer from allergies and asthma, so breath in and out through both my nose and mouth at anything above a trot. For long, slow runs, each breath in or out takes me three steps (left, right, left), but I go up to two steps for anything faster. As many other people have said, slowing down will make breathing easier. Here's what I said on my beginner's running blog:

When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    MOUTH BREATHER!!!

ab1acd5e-2f91-42df-aec9-6694541c24ca_zps90b31445.jpg

omg Hey Arnold :noway:
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    I have bad allergies so i always breathe through my mouth. What helps me is slow deep breaths when i run, just make sure not to push yourself too hard, you will get tired faster.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I breathe through my mouth as my nose runs whilst running. Ultimately unless you're looking to run competitively I wouldn't worry too much about how you're breathing just as long as your comfortable :)

I also find if I think too much about my breathing it makes me feel out of breath and I can't get into the 'zone'...I listen to music so I can't hear my breathing and just let my body sort the breaths out naturally.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am overweight and can do certain cardio activities with ease (elliptical, arc trainer) but find running to be extremely difficult for me. I think the main issue is I don't think I'm breathing correctly. I breathe through my mouth while running and it causes my throat to hurt and I feel like I get winded faster. I started a c25k training app and want to run a full 5k later this spring. I guess my question is, is there a way to change my breathing pattern while running? Or, what is the best way to breathe while running?

P.S. If you have an extremely smart *kitten* comment, please keep it to yourself.

Pick up a copy of "Running on Air" by Bud Coates. It's available through Runner's World or Amazon. A terrific study of running and breathing...from beginners to expert.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I also had issues running to begin with and found a few articles that really helped me. Sadly I didn't keep the links BUT have not forgotten the information that made a huge difference for me.

1. Warm up. Make sure to get your blood moving not just stretching. If it helps I just stand in one spot in front of my clock and run in place for 30 to 60 seconds trying to kick myself in the butt with my heal then walk in place for the same amount of time then run again bringing my knees up to my chest. When you finish your run do a good stretch. Do not bounce and sometimes you need to just wait a few days to a week to recover if you feel weak, hurt, or any pain. Listen to your body.

2. Gently suck your belly in and run straight up not hunched over. The pulling on the mid section will stop the excess body fat from winding you. Don't overdue it. Sadly the only advice I have for this is use time to get you on track. That is what worked for me. 2 months ago it took me 30 min to walk a mile. now I can walk 2.5 miles in 15 mins.

3. Run for 30 seconds and walk fast for a minute. This will allow you to slowly each week add another 30 seconds to your time building up yourself to run for longer periods.

4. Breath in through your mouth and out through your nose. Why is this important? When summer gets here it will get hot. You lose more water breathing out through your mouth than you do your nose so it will help keep you hydrated. I suggest you do the same during the winter as it will help keep your nose warm. As the other poster also said get a rhythm down. It is difficult but once you do get a rhythm down breathing you won't have to think about it as much but for me I still have to think about breathing when I run.

5. Any physical activity when you are not accustomed to it even if you are slim makes you feel weak or like you are not able to do it. Just start slow and work your way up. For me pull-ups was the worst. I started with 1 per day and now up to 5 per day but am able to control them going up and down. So although it sounds pretty sad to go from 1 to 5 in 2 months the amount of control I have in slowing my body down on the way down and slowly pulling myself up has helped me at work considerably with moving objects.

6. Have faith in yourself. If I can do it so can you!

Can't wait to hear your success stories and make sure you experiment. If what I suggest doesn't work for you post what does so it may be able to help someone else out.

Best wishes!
    Jim
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am overweight and can do certain cardio activities with ease (elliptical, arc trainer) but find running to be extremely difficult for me. I think the main issue is I don't think I'm breathing correctly. I breathe through my mouth while running and it causes my throat to hurt and I feel like I get winded faster. I started a c25k training app and want to run a full 5k later this spring. I guess my question is, is there a way to change my breathing pattern while running? Or, what is the best way to breathe while running?

P.S. If you have an extremely smart *kitten* comment, please keep it to yourself.

When I was overweight it was very difficult to breathe after a few minutes of running. I thought it was because I was fat, but it was because I wasn't breathing deeply or evenly enough.

It's weird, but you have to "learn" to breathe for running. I tend to breathe through my mouth, then exhale from my nose so I don't get a dry throat (staying properly hydrated can solve this as well).

Keep trying! It will get easier just keep at it.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I always use lip balm before I go out running, and like to keep a piece of mint gum in my mouth (I don't actually chew it) as I find that makes me feel less like I'm drying out :)

^^this^^ except cinnamon, not mint :)