How to record HIIT on MFP?

Options
My trainer introduced me to high intensity interval training this morning. It's HARD but I swore when I started that I would do whatever he gave me without complaint. We did 20 minutes on the stationary bike today. The only way I could record that here on MFP was by recording time on the bike the way I do for my morning rides (which aren't HIIT but which are growing in duration).

I searched on "high intensity interval training" but it didn't come up. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Add it as your own exercise, that's what I did for each of my separate HIIT sessions
  • RillaMonsoon
    RillaMonsoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is invest in a heart rate monitor. I use a Polar F4 (around $60). Then you can know how many calories you actually burned and record that in MFP.
  • MarkFischer1958
    Options
    I also created my own exercise for HIIT. First, you have to determine an average heart rate during your exercise. HR monitors can help but mine would sometimes lose the connection so I didn't trust its calorie burn measurement, but I still used it to estimate my HR. I then downloaded an Android app called "Calorie Burned Calculator", which you input, your gender, age, weight, heart rate and duration. (This gave me the same result as my HR monitor for the times when my HR monitor did not lose its connections).

So now I have my own exercise. I use the Max Workouts HIIT program, where each workout is 20-25 minutes, and I use that in my MFP entries.

BTW, I have found the HIIT programs to be VERY beneficial. Combined with low carb diet (tracked with MFP), I definitely am improving conditioning, and muscle tone.

Good Luck!