Should I gain weight ?

Options
Hi everyone !

I'm 172cm tall and weigh 54.5 kilos (I don't work out). Am I at a healthy weight, or should I put some on ?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Bmi is 18.4, so just barely underweight.
    Whether you should gain weight, depends on whether you feel healthy and are comfortable at your current weight.
    I am assuming you eat a healthy diet and are just naturally this light ?
  • kirstymacnab33
    Options
    You're clinically slightly underweight. Maybe try to gain a few pounds to put you in the healthy weight range.
  • British06
    British06 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you for your answers!

I haven't been this light in years actually. For the last three years I was around 60 kilos, but after a summer of eating pure junk food I gained 7 kilos, so went on a diet.

I'm happy with my progress, but wondering if I didn't go slightly overboard with my diet. (I've been recently experiencing problems with binge eating.)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Binge eating can be in response to you not providing adequate energy to the body. How many calories are you chronically consuming daily?
  • British06
    Options
    I usually consume 1300-1400 calories daily.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    For me, I started getting issues with binge eating when I went below my body's natural happy weight, so to speak, and was slightly underweight myself with a BMI of 18.1. Also, were you clinically overweight when you began dieting? I am not much taller than you and am currently 62kg, with a nice, low bodyfat %, but it is much more maintainable. I suggest you gain a few kg to get back at a range where you will not feel inclined to binge.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Are you still losing or have been relatively maintaining your weight? Also, are you using a food scale to accurately account for food intake? 1300-1400 seems pretty low even for an inactive person to be maintenance.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    im ike you, slightly under weight for my height but in the past i have been a normal healthy weight. what its come down to for me is the amount of exercise ive done as to whether ive been happy or not with my body. being toned and looking good doesnt really have a number on it for me :D
  • British06
    Options
    Graelwyn75: I was 67 kilos when I started dieting. I wasn't clinically overweight (BMI: 22,6), but my doctor told me I should lose some weight. So I should gain a little weight to help with my binge eating problem. How would I go in gaining it healthily ?(I don't want it to all go to my tomach, and would quite like to get some of my chest back.)

geekyjock76: I'm not really sure. I've started binge eating ince the beginning of February and would gain 1 or 2 kilos, eat less for a couple of days (either because I'm not hungry, or due to guilt), and by the end of the week I'm at my original weight. But then the day after I binge again. I use a food scale, so know accurately how much I eat daily.

schnarfo: Yeah, I guess it comes down to whether you feel good with your body or not really :). I'm happy with my progress, but not completely with how I look (would quite like to get toned, but I'm sooo lazy and hate exercise LOL!) You look great by the way !
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    You're a Beluga whale.

But about 3,000 lbs (1360 kg) underweight. You def need to gain.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You're a Beluga whale.

But about 3,000 lbs (1360 kg) underweight. You def need to gain.

:tongue:
  • British06
    Options
    LOL! Well, when you put it that say... I guess I would need to gain a fair bit wouldn't t I ? :p