Bariatric sleeve

Options
Hello, interested in meeting other people who have had the Bariatric sleeve.....

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I know two people who have had this done. One of them lost weight rapidly at first, but two years later she has gained nearly all of it back. The other has had a miserable time with pain, adhesions, infection, feels sickly and weak and swears she should never have done it, besides spending all of her savings ( not covered by her insurance, as it was elective surgery, not warranted in the insurance company's opinion.)
    I would NEVER go through bodily mutilation to lose weight!
  • AnewLaura
    AnewLaura Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had the sleeve 8 weeks ago and I am doing awesome!! I have had no side effects and feel great. I know I am early on in my journey but I feel great. This isn't my first time having surgery but this was the most major and I healed and feel great after 8 weeks. I am working out at the gym again full time and have no adverse issues.

I am having constantly to monitor what I eat and make sure that I get in my exercise. Taking care of ME and making ME a priority and only using the Sleeve as a tool was most important. I can't use it as my only source to losing weight because it just will not be successful.

Anyway, I am 5'1" and I started at 312 and am at this point down 86#. Long way to go but looking forward to the journey.

--Laura
  • CherBear1958
    CherBear1958 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had the by pass done last May. My recovery was lengthy because I suffer from chronic pain. (The reason I had the surgery to get weight of my frame!) Once I got the pain and "dumping" under control, I have never looked back. I have lost 85 pounds. Just before my surgery I was barely fitting into my size 28/48 pants. On Thursday, I tried on a pair of size 18 pants when my size 24 kept falling down at work! lol One would think that may be embarassing but it turned out to be a great boost. Everyone was so supportive. Never mind getting into a size I haven't worn in about 35 years!
  • erinmoore76
    erinmoore76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just got the sleeve 7 days ago. I'm nervous about how this will work - I'm still on liquids so I haven't really seen its effect on my consumption and appetite. I'm so happy to see everyone's success stories - I'd love to stay in touch and compare experiences.
  • ScoutingMomRosnick
    ScoutingMomRosnick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hope your journey continues to go well and that the "tool" of the sleeve has continued to help. I should be having my surgery in about a month. The prep has been a lot of work, but so totally worth it.
  • 1chancla
    1chancla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 4/7/2014 and it was the best thing ive done.
  • tudemcmood
    tudemcmood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just had mine done about 2 weeks ago. Much more painful afterwards than I anticipated, but now I feel so clean, prob from being on liquids and all the vitamins I take now too. I'm happy and excited, I've lost 13 lbs. already. Can't wait to dance at the gym once I can bend at the waist more comfortably.
  • ScoutingMomRosnick
    Options
    I had my sleeve done on 7/10...so I am 1 week out! I would love to be able to email with you to share info, experiences, etc. Like an online support group. Let me know if you would like to do that.
  • ScoutingMomRosnick
    Options
    CONGRATS! I had mine done 1 week ago. Let's talk.
  • ginnybsaved
    Options
    Andalusia you are doing great and what an inspiration you are. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
  • ginnybsaved
    Options
    All of you are an inspiration. I am just at the beginning stage and I am more than ready to start my journey. My daughter is also doing it with me. My goal for myself is to be healthy and strong and maintaining my goal weight by my 50th birthday God willing.
  • pollytx
    pollytx Posts: 2
    Options
    I had lap-band done in 2011. I've been all over the map for the last three years as far as weight, working out, and eating. I've had complications along the way. I started at nearly 300 lbs. I've been 186 (my lowest weight, I'm 5'10") and now I sit at 240 wondering what the he*l happened and why did I ever think this was a good idea. This is just my experience. I've gone back and forth a hundred times on revision-to-sleeve surgery, but the thing that holds me back is the very idea that it might not work the miracle that it promises, because when it has all come down to it--for me--it's been about ME controlling what I put in my mouth and putting my feet to pavement. The band has never, ever, ever truly restricted me as promised, and I am not convinced the sleeve will, either.

So, I found out I actually had to do all the work, even more than I ever thought I had to do. I'm running 10 miles a week, doing kettlebells twice a week, and eating 1300-1500 calories per day just to lose one pound (on average) per week. It's not been fun, and the worst lesson for me is knowing I never really needed to pay what I did for my surgery (self-pay) in order to figure out I had to do it myself all along and actually had it within me to do it. Everyone has that within them, really. It comes down to how bad you really want it.

There are no free rides and there are no magic bullets; the sleeve is no exception. Read the horror stories, read the great stories. Keep your mind open. Decide for yourself, that's all I can say. I wish you the very best of luck, whatever you choose.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having a rough time! Keep at it! You can succeed!
  • ginnybsaved
    Options
    Hi,

I had the sleeve 8 weeks ago and I am doing awesome!! I have had no side effects and feel great. I know I am early on in my journey but I feel great. This isn't my first time having surgery but this was the most major and I healed and feel great after 8 weeks. I am working out at the gym again full time and have no adverse issues.

I am having constantly to monitor what I eat and make sure that I get in my exercise. Taking care of ME and making ME a priority and only using the Sleeve as a tool was most important. I can't use it as my only source to losing weight because it just will not be successful.

Anyway, I am 5'1" and I started at 312 and am at this point down 86#. Long way to go but looking forward to the journey.

--Laura

Auto correction on your name above. That was meant for you. Sorry. But you are doing great as I said. Congratulations.
  • ARBaldridge
    Options
    My wife and I both had the sleeve surgery about 3.5 years ago. It is only a tool. Those that gain their weight back do so because they don't use the tool that the surgery gave them. Some weight regain is normal though. It is also very normal to lose very quickly in the beginning. Then as your body adjusts the weight will come off much more slowly. All in all I am glad that we did it. Have had some ups and downs with it and have recently gained some of my weight back because I started doing things that I knew better. Getting back on track though and heading where I need to be.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    There is a sleeve group. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1052-vsgers

Good luck to all of you.
  • ScoutingMomRosnick
    Options
    ginnybsaved You can do it! And so can your daughter too. Make sure you get lots of education on the process and taking care of yourself afterwards (and before). I will be praying for you both.
  • ScoutingMomRosnick
    Options
    pollytx...I am sorry you had such a time with the band. From personal experience, I can tell you that before the sleeve I was hungry ALL the time. Even healthy food was eaten in huge amounts. Now, the hunger is completely gone. You do have to think about what you are eating...it would be very easy to just give in to a craving (even in soft foods) and eat too many calories/fat/etc. Protein is the #1 thing that you need to get enough of after surgery. It can be challenging to say the least, but SO worth it. :happy: I know that the hunger will return a bit after the healing process is done...but I am striving for new habits and hope to be established before that happens (most say it comes back a bit at about 1-2 years). I am here if you'd like to chat.
  • Willow_Raine
    Willow_Raine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am considering the sleeve surgery. I go to a class on 9/8 and start the process at that point. I have a lot of concerns, but one thing I do know from personal experience is that I need to see something happen quickly or I won't be able to stick to it. I do have some bad habits, emotional eating for one, but I want to change that, and I MUST change it regardless of how things play out in the future. The thing is, for me, the surgery is a turning point, a point of no return. Once I have the surgery, I will *have* to follow through with changes in behavior otherwise my progress will vanish... and I refuse to put myself through that just to ruin it. It's my "no more excuses" line in the sand. I'll be 56 next week, and I've been fighting this weight issue for 36 years. The past 20 years my life has been so restricted because I haven't been able to do things easily. Asthma, weight, arthritis. Those things aren't going to go away or get better on their own, and the sooner I get the bulk of the weight off the better I'll feel... and the sooner I'll feel it. I can't wait. Right now I weigh 312 pounds. I'm only 5'4". I've already lived over half my life being obese. I'd like to LIVE the rest of it by LIVING LIFE instead of sitting on the sidelines watching. For the first time in a long time I'm beginning to feel hope and even a sense of worth. I can't wait to see what lies ahead. (Yes, I know the risks, and the horror stories. I'm not going into anything blindly.)
  • meant2b03582
    meant2b03582 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done in April 2014....I had no problems what so ever and I am doing great. I lost weight easily. I kinda laid back during the winter and have just got back on track this week with losing so far 8.5# this week. I have 52 pounds more to lose. My goal is to have this off my July 24th and I have faith I can do it with hard work and determination. I would have this surgery again in a heartbeat. My highest weight as an adult was 350#. I started this journey at 303# and I am now 211......I havent been into a pair of jeans in over 20 years...I AM NOW WEARING JEANS! I have went from a size 34 pants to a 16 so far....it is totally awesome.