Dr Oz's 2 Week Rapid Diet Plan?

Options
Hi All.

My husband found this diet through Dr. Oz's website. We were thinking of trying it for the next 2 weeks.

Has anyone tried this diet? Any success with it?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the diet is, but it's well agreed upon that Oz is a quack.

Check out Neal Barnard's three week "Kickstart" plan.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You will find Dr Oz anything is not well received here.

anything that touts "rapid weight loss" usually means a vlcd which isn't that healthy...it wont hurt you if you do it for a short time but chances are you will lose weigh then when you get back to eating "regularly" it will all come back as it was truely just water weight.

Instead of doing a diet touted on a tv show just try counting calories and eating in a reasonable deficet.

You will lose weight probably just as fast (some will be water weight this way too) but you will keep it off as you continue at that reasonable deficet.
  • mmulheren
    mmulheren Posts: 17
    Options
    Ok, Thanks for the info.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ok, Thanks!
    I will check out the 3 week plan!

Face - Palm :huh:
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It is really not that bad. I know everyone here hates Dr. Oz but..

I started on it. I had just come back from a conference, and gained 6-10lbs in 3 days. I did not eat that much so it was all water. That being said, I lost 9.6lbs in the first week and another 3 the next for a total of 12.6lbs.

I have always had a similar smoothie everyday for a year.

The 2nd week I added nuts & I believe this decreased my weight loss.

Lunch I found hard as I do not like oil & vinegar on salad, and prefer a protein. I tried making a a salad dressing with the yogurt & avocado & salsa, and ended up just skipping lunch . I am sure if I was more creative I could have planned better things for lunch but I didn't.

I liked hummus & celery in the afternoon

I cooked all my rice ahead for the week, and ate chicken most days. It was tough to find variety with chicken and rice dishes but now I am in the swing of things.

I bought pre-made veggie broth, and had that a few times a day. Sometimes that was my lunch.

After the 2 weeks:

I have gone back to coffee in the morning. I liked the hot lemon water & green tea, but every time I buy a few lemons right now, they go bad. I will go back to that at a later date when lemons are more in season or something.

I have added chicken to lunch, and now make a bone broth to go with it.

Still eating chicken & rice most days, but have added pasta 1 day/week & beef. Gotta have some variety.

I have added some treats back & wine once in a while.

I wrote a blog about my suppers if you want to read it, just for some ideas.

I had been eating healthy and similar to this diet for a long time. If I had not gone to the conference and gained all that weight I believe I would have lost 4lbs, just because I started tracking everything. I think that it gave me a good guideline & some rules that I was missing and needed in my life.
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options
    It is really not that bad. I know everyone here hates Dr. Oz but..

I started on it. I had just come back from a conference, and gained 6-10lbs in 3 days. I did not eat that much so it was all water. That being said, I lost 9.6lbs in the first week and another 3 the next for a total of 12.6lbs.

I have always had a similar smoothie everyday for a year.

The 2nd week I added nuts & I believe this decreased my weight loss.

Lunch I found hard as I do not like oil & vinegar on salad, and prefer a protein. I tried making a a salad dressing with the yogurt & avocado & salsa, and ended up just skipping lunch . I am sure if I was more creative I could have planned better things for lunch but I didn't.

I liked hummus & celery in the afternoon

I cooked all my rice ahead for the week, and ate chicken most days. It was tough to find variety with chicken and rice dishes but now I am in the swing of things.

I bought pre-made veggie broth, and had that a few times a day. Sometimes that was my lunch.

After the 2 weeks:

I have gone back to coffee in the morning. I liked the hot lemon water & green tea, but every time I buy a few lemons right now, they go bad. I will go back to that at a later date when lemons are more in season or something.

I have added chicken to lunch, and now make a bone broth to go with it.

Still eating chicken & rice most days, but have added pasta 1 day/week & beef. Gotta have some variety.

I have added some treats back & wine once in a while.

I wrote a blog about my suppers if you want to read it, just for some ideas.

I had been eating healthy and similar to this diet for a long time. If I had not gone to the conference and gained all that weight I believe I would have lost 4lbs, just because I started tracking everything. I think that it gave me a good guideline & some rules that I was missing and needed in my life.

So what you are saying is you gained a bunch of 'water weight' and then lost it using a fad crap diet plan palmed out by some loud mouthed no nothing TV personality. Which you now dont stick to and all that really happened was you cam away with some guidelines to stick to and yous started tracking.

Dont bother with it just track your calories and exercise, and if you want loose guidelines to stick to... Thevless ingredients in something generally the better for you it is, the longer somethings shelf life gemerally the worse it is for you (not always true but a good start)
  • LisaPower123
    Options

So what you are saying is you gained a bunch of 'water weight' and then lost it using a fad crap diet plan palmed out by some loud mouthed no nothing TV personality. Which you now dont stick to and all that really happened was you cam away with some guidelines to stick to and yous started tracking.

Pretty much exactly what I am saying, but... Sometimes you need a starting place. A sheet of paper that tells you what to eat. Not on the sheet? Can't eat it for 2 weeks. I am sure that sheet would help a lot more people if dr. Oz's name was not on it. It could be any eating plan. Call it eating within you macros or whatever it is that the popular kids are doing while bashing Dr. Oz.

This is certainly not my 1st time losing weight. I have spent the last year trying to eat in moderation & count calories. Successfully listing the same 10lbs over and over. I have gotten to my goal 4 times in my life before that. Stuff happens (pregnancy, quitting smoking) and I gain weight back.

I think people should look at things before writing them off. It is common sense approach to getting started eating at a calorie deficit. Plain & simple.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no such thing as "rapid weight loss"…more then likely it is some kind of restriction based diet and you will just lose mainly water weight..

a more sensible approach would be to use MFP to eat in a 500 per day calorie deficit, eat the food s you want, work out/move more, and lose about a pound per week ….

ETA - DR Oz is a quack, charlatan, and snake oil salesman, all rolled into one...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Pretty much exactly what I am saying, but... Sometimes you need a starting place. A sheet of paper that tells you what to eat. Not on the sheet? Can't eat it for 2 weeks. I am sure that sheet would help a lot more people if dr. Oz's name was not on it. It could be any eating plan. Call it eating within you macros or whatever it is that the popular kids are doing while bashing Dr. Oz.

This is certainly not my 1st time losing weight. I have spent the last year trying to eat in moderation & count calories. Successfully listing the same 10lbs over and over. I have gotten to my goal 4 times in my life before that. Stuff happens (pregnancy, quitting smoking) and I gain weight back.

I think people should look at things before writing them off. It is common sense approach to getting started eating at a calorie deficit. Plain & simple.

why not just go into MFP settings..enter your stats and set it for 1 pound per week loss..? that sounds a lot easier to follow to me then some rapid water weight loss plan ….
  • beviep
    beviep Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started it today and am really excited about maybe finally losing some weight and trying to get rid of some bad habits and gain good habits.

I realize it is a starting point and need to stick with a healthy diet and work out. Just logging in my calories is not making me lose weight although it has helped to see the macros and calories of different foods that I eat in order to educate myself. However, I have bad eating habits and need to change. Plus the plan looks healthy to me.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    no such thing as "rapid weight loss"…more then likely it is some kind of restriction based diet and you will just lose mainly water weight..

a more sensible approach would be to use MFP to eat in a 500 per day calorie deficit, eat the food s you want, work out/move more, and lose about a pound per week ….

ETA - DR Oz is a quack, charlatan, and snake oil salesman, all rolled into one...

^^^This. There are at least two things wrong with "Dr." Oz's diet plan. (1) Dr. Oz is associated with it, so it's crap. OP you've pretty much admitted this yourself. You can't even stick with it for two weeks. (2) Rapid weight loss is not only unhealthy but unsustainable.

"Most people who try rapid weight loss programs usually end up gaining the weight back, and sometimes they gain back more then they lost. Since rapid weight loss programs severely restrict your diet, they are not something you can stay on for long periods. Many people end up feeling deprived. Inadequate nutrition can also leave you feeling tired, moody, depressed and anxious. Eventually this will lead to not only breaking the diet, but binging on the foods that have been restricted. You may end up giving up on your program completely and returning to unhealthy patterns of overeating. "

Entire article at http://www.livestrong.com/article/4707-dangers-rapid-weight-loss/
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just started it today and am really excited about maybe finally losing some weight and trying to get rid of some bad habits and gain good habits.

I realize it is a starting point and need to stick with a healthy diet and work out. Just logging in my calories is not making me lose weight although it has helped to see the macros and calories of different foods that I eat in order to educate myself. However, I have bad eating habits and need to change. Plus the plan looks healthy to me.

logging calories is not supposed to make you lose weight…logging calories and tracking them so you are in a calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight.

what are you going to to do in two weeks when this "diet" is over….gain all the water back and start a thread on here complaining about why you 'gained it all back?' ….

Sensible weigh loss will lead to long term sustainable weight loss and ultimately long term success...
  • LisaPower123
    Options

why not just go into MFP settings..enter your stats and set it for 1 pound per week loss..? that sounds a lot easier to follow to me then some rapid water weight loss plan ….

Because it helps to have a piece of paper. It helps to show my family, ok, this is what we are eating for 2 weeks. No take out, no packaged food, if it is not on the list it does not come in the house. There is not one brand name of anything to purchase. Nothing being promoted but veggies. It is well balanced, albeit a little restrictive.

It is common sense stuff, but a written plan helps. It shouldn't even be called a rapid weight loss diet because people who eat healthy, non packaged food probably wouldn't lose weight following this plan.
  • beviep
    beviep Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am at exactly the same weight that I was at in August, 2013. I quit smoking last June and had surgery last year as well. I am trying to get healthy and think its time to do something different and get motivated although I will still be logging in my calories on this 14 day diet as well. This plan has very healthy food and nutrition and some people need a written plan (like me). What is wrong with that?

And if I do happen to gain the weight back, I will try something else but I don't plan on starting a new thread complaining about
    "why did I gain the weight back". That would be a little silly, now wouldn't it?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Because it helps to have a piece of paper. It helps to show my family, ok, this is what we are eating for 2 weeks. No take out, no packaged food, if it is not on the list it does not come in the house. There is not one brand name of anything to purchase. Nothing being promoted but veggies. It is well balanced, albeit a little restrictive.

It is common sense stuff, but a written plan helps. It shouldn't even be called a rapid weight loss diet because people who eat healthy, non packaged food probably wouldn't lose weight following this plan.

packaged food has nothing to do with weight gain and/or loss …

you can eat "packaged food", be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight….

MFP is a written plan ..you just log it into a computer…..

but whatever floats your boat...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I am at exactly the same weight that I was at in August, 2013. I quit smoking last June and had surgery last year as well. I am trying to get healthy and think its time to do something different and get motivated although I will still be logging in my calories on this 14 day diet as well. This plan has very healthy food and nutrition and some people need a written plan (like me). What is wrong with that?

And if I do happen to gain the weight back, I will try something else but I don't plan on starting a new thread complaining about
    "why did I gain the weight back". That would be a little silly, now wouldn't it?

go run a search real fast for "help, I gained it all back"….I am sure you will find a whole host of threads devoted to that subject…
  • qtee323
    qtee323 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with lpeltenburg it gives people a list and direction. Plain and simple...no need to be so negative. Yes it is only for two weeks but doesn't mean that the diet stops there, it is just a step in the right direction.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between learning self-control now as opposed to two weeks from now?

You could pre-log all of you foods in MFP, print it, and carry it to the market.

To each his/her own but I don't see the point in the crap Dr. Oz promotes.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree: Dr. Oz is a quack. However, Dr. Neal Barnard joins him as being a quack of the first water.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    DR. OZ’S TWO-WEEK RAPID WEIGHT LOSS PLAN

WAKEUP: Start day with cup hot water & ½ lemon
    BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE: (see recipe)
    GREEN TEA: preferably organic
    PROTEIN: one 6-oz. serving of meat (chicken, turkey or fish) per day
    CARBS: ½ cup of cooked brown rice a day (otherwise no carbs/starches)
    FATS: good fats in moderation (e.g. olive oil and avocado)
    DAIRY: 1 cup of 2 % plain Greek yogurt per day (otherwise no dairy)
    VEGETABLES: unlimited low-glycemic vegetables (see list) and Detox Broth (see recipe).
    SNACKS: Hummus, pickles, a couple handfuls of nuts

WHAT YOU NEED TO ELIMINATE
    • No wheat (only ½ cup brown rice)
    • No artificial sweeteners (this includes all diet soda)
    • No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No caffeine (ONLY green tea)
    • No dairy (except Greek yogurt)
    • No additional exercise
    • No meals between 8pm-8am

OTHER THINGS TO DO
    • Take probiotic in the morning
    • Take a multivitamin (preferably ½ in the morning & ½ at night)
    • Detox bath every night (soak with 2 cups Epsom salt & 1 cup baking soda)

LOW-GI VEGETABLES
    Artichokes
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Bamboo shoots
    Bean sprouts
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Leeks
    Lentils
    Beans (green, kidney, garbanzo)
    Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Squash
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Water chestnuts
    Watercress
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    (green, bok choy, Chinese)
    Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, iceberg lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)

SHOPPING LIST
    • Rice protein powder (28 tbsp)
    • 1 ¾ cups ground flaxseeds
    • 3 ½ cups brown rice
    • 1 bottle olive oil
    • Balsamic vinegar (or other preferred vinegar) for salad dressing
    • Green tea
    • Epsom salt
    • Baking soda

SHOPPING LIST (EACH WEEK BUY)
    • 4 lemons
    • 4 bananas
    • 56 oz frozen berries
    • 2 qts unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    • 4 avocados
    • 7 plain 2% Greek yogurts (6-oz serving size)
    • 1 ½ lbs chicken, turkey, or fish combined

SHOPPING LIST (DETOX VEGETABLE BROTH)
    4 large onions 8 carrots
    4 cups winter squash 8 celery stalks
    2 cups cabbage Dried ginger
    8 cloves whole garlic Sea salt, to taste
    4 cups root vegetable (any of the following: turnips, parsnips, rutabagas)
    8 cups chopped greens (any of the following: kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion)
    (Or you can buy low sodium organic broth from the grocery store) DR. OZ’S TWO-WEEK RAPID WEIGHT LOSS PLAN

RECIPES
    Breakfast Smoothie Vegetable Broth
    • 2 tablespoons rice protein powder
    • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
    • ½ cup frozen berries
    • ½ banana
    • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

For every three quarts of water add:
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 2 carrots, sliced
    • 1 cup of winter squash cut into large cubes
    • 1 cup of root vegetables: any of the following: turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas for sweetness
    • 2 cups of chopped greens: any of the following: kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion,
    • 2 celery stalks
    • ½ cup of cabbage
    • 4 ½-inch slices of fresh ginger
    • 2 cloves of whole garlic (not chopped or crushed)
    • Sea salt, to taste

Add all the ingredients at once and place on a low boil for approximately 60 minutes. It may take a little longer. Simply continue to boil to taste. Cool, strain (throw out the cooked vegetables), and store in a large, tightly-sealed glass container in the fridge.

Heat gently and drink up to 3–4 cups a day.

Makes: 2 quarts or 8 cups

Prep time: 30 minutes
    Cook time: 60 minutes
    Draw your own conclusions, but this jump-started my 30# weight loss, and it gave a guide to follow to get started. No one is saying you have to stay on it... but it's just as good as any plan to start from IMHO.