organic, low fat, low carb????

sidonieaten
sidonieaten Posts: 14 Member
Been away from MFP for awhile. I stay in a state of confusion about what to eat! What's working for you??

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi

Welcome back to MFP. It is a wonderful tool and I hope it is helpful to you.

My nutrition plan started with my favorite food (healthier version 2.0), meaning trying to tweak items and food preparation to make it healthier (i.e. I replaced fried items with oven baked ones, I prepare my own salad dressing from scratch rather than from a bottle, I replaced highly processed flour baked items with whole wheat, corn and other grains, I replaced white rice with brown rice and quinoa, etc, etc).

I slowly started to branch out by reading MFP message boards on "Food and Nutrition" , "Recipes" . I read MFP success stories and check food diary for successful MFP posters.

I hope it helps.

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    I am eating reduced carb for medical reasons. (Not very low carb) I aim for more protein, fats and fiber to keep me feeling full longer. It really depends upon what you can work into your lifestyle and feel you can sustain for the long term.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    calorie deficit. the same thing that works for everyone else.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    For real support check out the low carb groups---the general board is not very supportive of low carb.
    I have had great luck with organic, low carb.
    It took me a long time to get over the fat thing---but I have had tremendous health and weight results with eating higher, healthy fats.
    Experiment and see what works for you.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Been away from MFP for awhile. I stay in a state of confusion about what to eat! What's working for you??
    Some menopausal and post menopausal women find it easier to lose and maintain if they reduce carbs a bit, or at least limit some of the faster burning carbs. i.e., focusing on lower GI choices, similar to the approach many women with PCOS choose. Don't know if this would apply to you or be beneficial to you, but it is to me and some of my friends.
    Best of luck!
  • BrouhardRj
    BrouhardRj Posts: 21 Member
    For medical reason I'm also doing low carbs/ South beach diet...
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    The chances are good that having asked the question you'll be even more confused after people answer because folks are all over the map!

Which is really my point. What works for one person may not work for another. I would recommend talking it over with your doctor who knows you, your habits and your biochemistry and can probably make some recommendations as to the most appropriate way for you to start.

Good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    calorie deficit. the same thing that works for everyone else.

This.

If you prefer to eat organic or low carb or whatever, that's cool. You should eat in a way that you enjoy. But if your goal is weight loss, you just need to be in a calorie deficit. However you maintain that deficit is personal preference.

I haven't done any particular diet or way of eating. I just eat the foods I like, and over time I have tweaked my favorite meals to lower the calories, make them more nutrient dense, or help me hit my macros. As far as macros go, I make protein my priority, followed by fat and fiber, and try to keep the carbs at or under my goal. :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    What's working for me:

5:2ing. 2 days a week at 500 cals, 5 days at TDEE.

Keeping carbs around 100g per day (on the 5 days, obviously)

Exercising - a mix of cardio and strength.

Drinking lots of water.

Taking a long term view and not expecting quick results.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Food at a calorie deficit.
    It's about moderation not deprivation.
    No bad foods just bad eating habits.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Hi

Welcome back to MFP. It is a wonderful tool and I hope it is helpful to you.

My nutrition plan started with my favorite food (healthier version 2.0), meaning trying to tweak items and food preparation to make it healthier (i.e. I replaced fried items with oven baked ones, I prepare my own salad dressing from scratch rather than from a bottle, I replaced highly processed flour baked items with whole wheat, corn and other grains, I replaced white rice with brown rice and quinoa, etc, etc).

I slowly started to branch out by reading MFP message boards on "Food and Nutrition" , "Recipes" . I read MFP success stories and check food diary for successful MFP posters.

I hope it helps.

Good luck in your healthy journey

What a great post!! I think this is the way to do it. there is no such thing as the perfect diet, you have to take baby steps and do what works for you to make it long lasting. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    i eat food, stay in a deficit, hit macros, and work out ….

its not the type of food, it is the calorie deficit that leads to weight loss …

so eat what you want + stay in a deficit = weight loss
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    I am doing low carb. Not super low but under 75 a day. It is working really well for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    The chances are good that having asked the question you'll be even more confused after people answer because folks are all over the map!

Which is really my point. What works for one person may not work for another. I would recommend talking it over with your doctor who knows you, your habits and your biochemistry and can probably make some recommendations as to the most appropriate way for you to start.

Good luck!

ummm calorie deficit works for everyone…it is basic math...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    My preferred method is a deficit with a good balance of macros.

I don't have any issues with low carb but I would steer well clear of low fat.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    High fruit and vegetable diet.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    i eat food, stay in a deficit, hit macros, and work out ….

its not the type of food, it is the calorie deficit that leads to weight loss …

so eat what you want + stay in a deficit = weight loss

This as well
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Low carb and high fat has done me wonders.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    I have my macros set to 50/25/25 carb/protein/fat, treat the protein and fat goals as a minimum, eat TDEE-20%, lift heavy and watch my micros.

Your food doesn't have to be low carb, organic, gluten free or whatever. Unless you have a medical reason to do so, you can eat the foods you like that help you reach your set parameters (calorie goal, macros, micros).