egg question?

Options
Why is it that fried eggs and poached eggs have such different calories?

I fry my eggs on a hot pan with just a touch of 0 calorie spray to prevent sticking- I would think it would be comparable to poaching without the mess (and the egg stays on the plate instead of sliding when I go to eat it like a poached egg is known to do) The calorie difference makes me think there are people out there frying eggs in an inch of oil?

Does the poaching water somehow remove calories?

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    I think that weight watchers doesn't count the calories in a short burst of cooking spray. I know that I don't count it and NO, poaching doesn't remove any calories from the egg as far as I know.
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    why not just count the egg and then either put in your oil or leave it out. I put my egg and then 1ml of olive oil as I have a sprayer that I can fill up with olive oil.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    When I fry an egg, I usually just put in an egg (no cooking method) and then calculate the oil I use to fry it. I fry in 1 tsp oil because I try to get some oils in every day anyway. :) I would guess that the "fried egg" calories in the database is from cooking oil.
  • Serowland
    Serowland Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to figure this out too! The calorie on the site for a fried egg are fried the fatty way. If you search through the database a bit more (I found it by accident!) and you will see "homemade fried egg (Pam). That gives you a more accurate calorie count. I always allow a bit of wiggle room for mistakes in the calorie counts.
    Sandra
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have always fried my eggs with a spray of pam in a nonstick pan, dieting or not dieting. When we go camping with other people I have seen how they cook eggs and it is frightening. They fry their bacon in a pan and then put their eggs on top of all that grease. That is how you take something healthy and turn it into a horror.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    They fry their bacon in a pan and then put their eggs on top of all that grease. That is how you take something healthy and turn it into a horror.

Depends on whether or not you believe the myth that saturated fat is bad for you....

Go with the nutrition count of the individual items if you're not sure -- a hard boiled egg + a squirt of pam or 1tsp of oil. Or combine them into a meal so you can just add that meal to breakfast for your egg nutrition.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Without doing any research into the matter, I can say that many foods have chemical composition changes depending on the method used for cooking. This can drastically alter proteins and then cause for a difference in calories. However, PAM has a 0 calories no-stick spray if you really need to use one.

However, I recommend just cooking on medium-low heat in a decent non-stick skillet. No oils needed. I can't remember the last time I used anything to cook my eggs...other than adding a sprinkle of salt and a pinch of pepper.
  • Brat3073
    Options
    try an egg substitute. I dont know if you have Aldis where youre at, but they have a great line of food call Fit and Active, and they have an egg sub also, its onle 30 calories for a half cup....and its lower in cholestrol also.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    No, we don't know which came first......Oh, you aren't asking that. :flowerforyou:

I think you are fine using the cooking spray. It probably was put in the system by someone who added butter because people can put in their own values as well. I look for confirmed ones or do the seperately. ie by ingredients:egg, cooking spray. Your cooking method shouldn't matter unless you are cooking in a fat.
  • ChloeClueless
    Options
    Thanks for everyones insight-