Fat free/low fat meal ideas

Options
Hi y'all,

I am not jumping on the fat free/low fat diet bandwagon by choice. I had my gallbladder removed and if I eat anything high fat... it does not turn out well for me!

I am having a hard time figuring out things to eat! I eat a lot of yogurt, fruit, veggies (not as many as I used to, they're hard for me to digest sometimes), soup, and sandwiches. I made homemade veggie pizza last night.

Any ideas will be welcome. Breakfast ideas, snack ideas, lunch, dinner... anything!

Thank you!

Replies

• kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the low fat/ fat free diet by doctor's orders. I'm also on a low sodium diet.

I eat a lot of chicken strips, have a low fat/low sodium salad dressing, eat cereal with fat free milk. Anything that has fat usually has to be the "healthier fat" like olive oil, nuts, almonds, fish.
    I also bought one of the George Foreman grills. I got an old small model cheap on sale and I love it. I spray my chicken strips with just a little bit of olive oil and grill them. Salmon is really tasty from this grill. I also use it to make low fat quesadillas or cheese sandwiches.

Good luck on you low fat journey
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the low fat/ fat free diet by doctor's orders. I'm also on a low sodium diet.

I eat a lot of chicken strips, have a low fat/low sodium salad dressing, eat cereal with fat free milk. Anything that has fat usually has to be the "healthier fat" like olive oil, nuts, almonds, fish.
    I also bought one of the George Foreman grills. I got an old small model cheap on sale and I love it. I spray my chicken strips with just a little bit of olive oil and grill them. Salmon is really tasty from this grill. I also use it to make low fat quesadillas or cheese sandwiches.

Good luck on you low fat journey

Thank you so much! I will try all of these ideas!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Replace olive oil instead of butter in your recipes. If you use non-stick pots and pans you can easily cook a regular meal for 4-5 people with just 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Just be careful to barely brown meat, veggies etc while stirring, and then add whatever liquid you plan to use and cook as usual. For baking, desserts etc a combination of olive oil, mashed bananas and/or applesauce usually works fine. When using cream, if it is just for taste you can use evaporated milk instead, light works fine in most recipes. It will change the texture, but will be close in taste. When cream or butter are used to thicken things, like a soup, replacing with a mashed potato is a trick that usually works great for soups (I actually use it before I prefer the taste over adding cream), using instant mashed potatoes is a great way to thicken sauces. When buying meat, ask for completely lean cuts. It will take some adaptation to cooking times, but it will reduce total fat.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Replace olive oil instead of butter in your recipes. If you use non-stick pots and pans you can easily cook a regular meal for 4-5 people with just 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Just be careful to barely brown meat, veggies etc while stirring, and then add whatever liquid you plan to use and cook as usual. For baking, desserts etc a combination of olive oil, mashed bananas and/or applesauce usually works fine. When using cream, if it is just for taste you can use evaporated milk instead, light works fine in most recipes. It will change the texture, but will be close in taste. When cream or butter are used to thicken things, like a soup, replacing with a mashed potato is a trick that usually works great for soups (I actually use it before I prefer the taste over adding cream), using instant mashed potatoes is a great way to thicken sauces. When buying meat, ask for completely lean cuts. It will take some adaptation to cooking times, but it will reduce total fat.

Thank you! Those are great tips!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat, not by choice really as much as often the full fat stuff just isn't worth the extra calories for me.

Basically, reduced fat dairy, lean meats or fish, veggies, fruit, oatmeal, eggs (if that's too much for you, egg whites)... Skinnytaste has a lot of low fat recipes.
  • californiansun
    Options
    I eat low fat, not by choice really as much as often the full fat stuff just isn't worth the extra calories for me.

Basically, reduced fat dairy, lean meats or fish, veggies, fruit, oatmeal, eggs (if that's too much for you, egg whites)... Skinnytaste has a lot of low fat recipes.

Thank you so much! I will check out skinnytaste.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Oil is no where near being low fat! Neither is fish.

Fruit, veggies, soups, stir frys (use low sodium vegetable broth instead of oil), some variation of rice, beans and veggies with some salsa and fresh cilantro, there are tons of low fat foods.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Oil is no where near being low fat! Neither is fish.

Fruit, veggies, soups, stir frys (use low sodium vegetable broth instead of oil), some variation of rice, beans and veggies with some salsa and fresh cilantro, there are tons of low fat foods.

Thank you so much! The stir fry sound pretty delicious, I am going to try that out!
  • SuzeBerry
    Options
    Hi. I had my gallbladder out about six months ago. Still eating low fat by necessity.
    I fix a lot of chicken, turkey, and fish. It's been a lot of trial and error. For instance, though not truly low fat I have no problem digesting white fish or black olives. Sometimes I'll buy a turkey breast and cook it in the crockpot along with onions and sweet peppers. It's delicious. I use chicken broth to flavor veggies like grren peas or beans, black eyed peas, etc. One of my favorite treat dishes is a pasta salad with sliced black olives, grape tomatoes, sweet pepper, a little onion, and light oil and vinegar.

For snacks I eat fruit or my favorite - a cup of healthier cereal like a Fiber One or Cheerios and I add some raisins.

I cannot eat beef, mayonnaise, or pizza. At all. Have just now gotten to the point where I can eat a mixed green salad. Together with a bowl of low fat soup, it makes for a pretty good meal. Oh, and I use a small amount of coconut oil to cook in when necessary.

I cannot buy anything without reading the labels. My general rule is to keep it to 3 grams of fat or less. No pork, very limited eggs, oh, and only decaf coffee.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but I can truthfully say that I feel better now than I have in a long time.
  • Renee428
    Renee428 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am trying the low fat diet but it is by choice. I tried putting chicken breast in a crockpot with a jar of salsa and letting it cook for a few hours and it was amazing. I put it over rice or on a salad. Chicken and turkey are generally my go to proteins. Good luck.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Hi. I had my gallbladder out about six months ago. Still eating low fat by necessity.
    I fix a lot of chicken, turkey, and fish. It's been a lot of trial and error. For instance, though not truly low fat I have no problem digesting white fish or black olives. Sometimes I'll buy a turkey breast and cook it in the crockpot along with onions and sweet peppers. It's delicious. I use chicken broth to flavor veggies like grren peas or beans, black eyed peas, etc. One of my favorite treat dishes is a pasta salad with sliced black olives, grape tomatoes, sweet pepper, a little onion, and light oil and vinegar.

For snacks I eat fruit or my favorite - a cup of healthier cereal like a Fiber One or Cheerios and I add some raisins.

I cannot eat beef, mayonnaise, or pizza. At all. Have just now gotten to the point where I can eat a mixed green salad. Together with a bowl of low fat soup, it makes for a pretty good meal. Oh, and I use a small amount of coconut oil to cook in when necessary.

I cannot buy anything without reading the labels. My general rule is to keep it to 3 grams of fat or less. No pork, very limited eggs, oh, and only decaf coffee.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but I can truthfully say that I feel better now than I have in a long time.

Aw, thank you so much! I loved your ideas! I miss coffee and spicy foods the most. I hope one day I can eat them. I haven't tried, since it's only been 17 days since I had my surgery, but maybe one day/
  • californiansun
    Options
    I am trying the low fat diet but it is by choice. I tried putting chicken breast in a crockpot with a jar of salsa and letting it cook for a few hours and it was amazing. I put it over rice or on a salad. Chicken and turkey are generally my go to proteins. Good luck.

I love salsa chicken! I heard after gallbladder removal it is hard to eat spicy foods, but I will try it again with a mild salsa!
  • californiansun
    Options
    Does anyone have more ideas?
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Quesadillas: I use 90 calorie flat out wraps, mozzie cheese and veggies (sometimes a meat, but very little of it)

Veggie Pasta: Serving size of it, with sauteed mushrooms, onions, tomato sauce and mozzie or parm cheese

Turkey Burgers w/ baked potato and salad (nix the rolls)

Spaghetti squash (roasted) with tomato sauce and feta cheese

Blue corn taco shells with either ground chix or pork and more veggies than meat - side salad or veggie

Anytime I use tomato sauce, I usually get the Classico meat sauce, it tastes the best, and I cook with a lot of spices.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Quesadillas: I use 90 calorie flat out wraps, mozzie cheese and veggies (sometimes a meat, but very little of it)

Veggie Pasta: Serving size of it, with sauteed mushrooms, onions, tomato sauce and mozzie or parm cheese

Turkey Burgers w/ baked potato and salad (nix the rolls)

Spaghetti squash (roasted) with tomato sauce and feta cheese

Blue corn taco shells with either ground chix or pork and more veggies than meat - side salad or veggie

Anytime I use tomato sauce, I usually get the Classico meat sauce, it tastes the best, and I cook with a lot of spices.

Thank you so much! These sounds delicious.
  • butterfly1445
    butterfly1445 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am also on a Dr. ordered low fat and high fiber diet. Glad to see all the great ideas! It is harder than I thought to go low fat!
  • californiansun
    Options
    I am also on a Dr. ordered low fat and high fiber diet. Glad to see all the great ideas! It is harder than I thought to go low fat!

It is difficult! Even with these ideas I am still struggling! Hopefully I get some more responses! :D