Juicing what do you think?

Options
So I bought a juicer and plan on using it all next month. But not necessary for weight loss, I have to go to the dentist and get some teeth pulled so hard food is out of the question , I'm going to get partial plates put back in but not until I can save up prob the month after. I only eat fruit and vegetables now and drink some milk for protein etc..Was wondering will there be much difference in drinking the juice then eating the fruits/vegetables. Does it taste nasty? I know I will prob lose weight but might gain it back but was thinking that I only eat fruits and vegetables it wouldn't be as bad as if I were to eat a monster thickburger from hardees etc..
Do you juice and did you like your first drink of it?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    juicers get rid of all the fiberous elements of the fruits and veggies...the best part...so yes there is a huge difference between eating them and juicing them

Take it back and go get a nutribullet or a ninja blender...

Smooties are great but juicing is bleck...:sick:
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I too decided against a juicer for the same reason: loss of all the micronutrients and fiber in whole fruits and veggies. I make smoothies in my VitaMix instead. I get all the fiber and nutrients in the whole fruits and veggies, and I can make my smoothie as "chewy" or smooth as I want.
    And it doesn't have to be a VitaMix. They are pricey (I inherited mine from my mom), but very good. However, my little KitchenAid blender and mom's old Oster blender do a good job as well.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My first few juices were a bit off, but they are good now. One of my favorites is carrot/apple/celery/parsley.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    juicers get rid of all the fiberous elements of the fruits and veggies...the best part...so yes there is a huge difference between eating them and juicing them

Agree 100%!!! :heart:
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Most vegetable and mostly-vegetable juices take some getting used ton (straight carrot juice is the exception -- it's pretty tasty). I'm the only one in my family that actually likes veggie juice. Pure fruit juices are generally pretty tasty. I pretty much gave up on juicing because of the cleanup hassle, as well as the insane amounts of waste. Smoothies are a lot less hassle.

Personally, if I was going to try to live on it, I'd go the smoothie route -- you get a lot more of the whole fruit or vegetable, and there's a lot less cleanup. I just have a little magic bullet, but I generally just do smoothies with soft veggies and frozen fruit. If you want to do harder veggies like carrots you need to move up to something like a Ninja.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I juice 10-12 ounces every morning to replace breakfast. I have not necessarly lost weight from this, BUT I have seen so many good changes in the last 3 months I've been doing it. I'm not a regular healthy eater as far as fruits or veggies so I'm not saying that it is necessarly better for you...but I went from eating hardly any to drinking 1 apples, 2 carrots and spinach every day!!!!

Things I've noticed:
    1. more energy waking up in the mornings...not so groggy
    2. hardly losing any hair...used to lose handfuls when I was in shower or brushing hair.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I prefer smoothies, way more filling.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Agree 100%!!! :heart:
    2nd agreed 100%. You lose fibre and other nutritious bits when juicing alone. I LOVE the taste of juice, but why waste the rest when it can be eaten. And yes, you can use the bits the juicer has "discarded"; however, it's a bit silly to discard them in the first place, right? If you can't eat solid foods, then smoothie yourself healthier.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go with a blender instead, for reasons others have mentioned.

You might be surprised by what you're still able to eat. I had all my teeth yanked a dozen years ago and never did get around to getting dentures (mostly because I'd need surgery for bone reshaping first). The only thing I really miss is peanuts, but that's why they invented peanut butter.

Stock up on tomato soup! :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You lose fibre and other nutritious bits when juicing alone.
    Fibre is almost anti-nutirious, in that it prevents some nutrients being absorbed.

What other 'nutritious bits' could a juicer 'lose'?

Personally, for me I haven't seen any decent evidence I should be worried by fibre levels, but others it may be more important for.
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go with a blender instead, for reasons others have mentioned.

You might be surprised by what you're still able to eat. I had all my teeth yanked a dozen years ago and never did get around to getting dentures (mostly because I'd need surgery for bone reshaping first). The only thing I really miss is peanuts, but that's why they invented peanut butter.

Stock up on tomato soup! :)

Already got the juicer coming to me from amazon. I read the pros and cons of both . I like the juicer so I'm going to at least try it first.
    Plus I can use all the left over from juicing for worm compost. Right now ever time I get a tooth pulled the gums stay sore for a long time. so far this month 19 days and steal healing some each day. I don't really eat peanuts I don't like the salt they have but I do eat peanut butter some. I do eat eggs a lot good source of protein and there not hard for me to eat. I tried campbell's tomato soup but didn't really like it. Some reason I don't really like hot foods all of the time. most warm food/ hot food cause me to sweat when I eat it for some reason just about what ever it is.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I agree with this 100%. I had tried juicing in the past. The juicer is a pain to clean and all the good stuff is left out. I always felt like I was wasting a lot of my fruit and veggies.

I received a NutriBullet as a gift for Christmas and LOVE it! You can use much more of the fruit and veggies, and you can add peanut butter, yogurt, flaxseeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, etc. to increase your protein content and make them more filling.