lost my "tolerance" for junk

Options
I went vegan for Lent, and have been feeling great. It seems that I naturally tend away from junk and have many fewer cravings eating this way (in contrast to my miserably-failed attempts in college... Tofutti ice cream, anyone? *doh*)

Anyway, yesterday was DS's birthday party, and I told myself that I could go ahead and have a little bit of ice cream cake. I couldn't even finish my small piece and felt SO queasy afterward. A similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago when I decided to have a small serving of vegan brownies and some chips at a party, as that was the only "junky" stuff I had eaten since Fat Tuesday. I thought I was coming down with a stomach bug at the time, but this time it was the exact same feeling. How odd.. and I can't even attribute it to dairy, because the other time I ate junk was dairy-free. Anyway, if it makes me associate unhealthy food with feeling blecch, I'll take it!

Replies

• f1redshoes
    Options
    I feel you! I used to be able to eat a whole box of these chocolate-coated cornflake things (20 in a box on average) in an evening. Hadn't had them in a while, bought them today, took 5 upstairs and had to stop after 4. I did eventually eat the other one 2 hours later but that was my absolute limit! I'm losing my ability to eat big quantities of things like that, which is excellent news for staying in shape ;)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you'll overcome this behaviour.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I ate at maintenance yesterday since I went to the In-laws for the night. They always make pretty healthy food, but they serve it in courses and I always feel obligated to eat after I'm full. Especially the dessert ....

Sigh...

But yes, I feel crappy today. It could be my TOM is coming, but I feel like anytime I eat over the occassional 100-200 over my calorie limit, I feel sick.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I suggest daily cream cake until your stomach returns to normal.

I had a smiliar issue with fried food but I stuck with and now I'm able to eat fried food again without issue. Perseverance is key! Be strong.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I suggest daily cream cake until your stomach returns to normal.

I had a smiliar issue with fried food but I stuck with and now I'm able to eat fried food again without issue. Perseverance is key! Be strong.
    you are so supportive:flowerforyou:
  • Eve_e
    Eve_e Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a similar issue. Well, I don't think it's technically an issue. My body doesn't do well with unhealthy or greasy food anymore, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. While this is technically a good thing, I still have insufferable cravings for bad food, and often I indulge, despite the fact that my body is clearly telling me that it doesn't like or need that sort of crap.
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started this lifestyle chAnge of eating clean with no candy,cake,ice cream, chips for almost a month in a week. I have no desire to pantyhose things just because those foods are the reason I'm trying to lose weight today. I try to think of junk food as the enemy .. maybe down the line I will crave somethin but I just try to replace stuff like that with healthy snacks like fiber one brownies; although I never really did like cake or cookies maybe that's why it's easier for me idk but so far so good .

Just stay motivated and focused :)
  • geeyanna
    geeyanna Posts: 2
    Options
    I went to a show for a couple of days with a friend. I went in lying to myself about wanting to stay on the straight and narrow diet thing. But from the minute I started the weekend I went outside of my diet usuals. The thing about it was I thought I'd be able to consume all of this junk food like my friend was doing. Pre-diet I LOVED chocolate.....I couldn't even finish a candy bar because I felt so yucky physically like I drank too much alcohol. I was able to handle licorice and two cookies. The next day I felt like I had a hangover. However I went back to the event....sans chocolate. I'm still shocked at the fact at how few sweets I ate....I know its a good thing. Looks like I'll be sticking with naturally sweet foods for cheating.