Calling All Fitness Gurus!! Lower Body Workouts

Options
Hey y'all!
Looking to spice up my lower body workouts. I have 2 that mix up but I'm looking for a few new "fun" exercises to try.
Here's what I already do:
Weight Days:
Warm-up
Single leg Dead left
Angled Leg press
Toe Raises
Hip Ab & Aductor machines
Hack Squat
Glute Machine (designed by the Marquis de Sade)
Step-ups w/high knees10in Step w/weights
Back Extension w/weight
Abs

Iso/Circut Days
Warm-up
Walking Lunges
Squat Jumps
Stairs
Single Leg Deadlift
Step-ups 18 in Step No Weight
Exercise Ball Squats
Bosu Ball squat w/med ball lift
More Stairs
Inner/Outer Leg Lifts
Back Extension (the bench also designed by the Marquis de Sade)
Abs

I realize that this gives pretty decent variety as I'm able to mix it up BUT I'm looking for new exercises to add or substitute. Anyone got anything NOT on the list that I can try? Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
:drinker:

Replies

• gupton11
    Options
    wall sits 45-60 seconds with or without a medicine ball.
  • gupton11
    Options
    I don't want my legs to get too big so I pretty much do small amounts of squats, lunges, dead lifts, and interval training on the cardio equipment.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Awesome leg exercises, that also make a fun activity? Biking and hiking are my two favorites. They also duo as cardio so your killing multiple birds with one stone. Walking up and down hills definitely uses different sets of muscles depending on which side of the hill you're on. There's my two cents.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I don't want my legs to get too big so I pretty much do small amounts of squats, lunges, dead lifts, and interval training on the cardio equipment.

Are you eating (quality) excess calories every day, taking supplements of the legal or illegal variety, and/or have blessed genetics?

If the answers are no, then why are you afraid of getting "too big" with healthy weight-bearing exercises?
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

Are you eating (quality) excess calories every day, taking supplements of the legal or illegal variety, and/or have blessed genetics?

If the answers are no, then why are you afraid of getting "too big" with healthy weight-bearing exercises?

Totally.
    I personally do have "blessed genetics" so to speak... my legs are big and toned. BUT I love my 34in in seam 23 in thighs and my 17in calves. They carry me around- allow me to run faster, pedal longer, jump higher and they still look damn good in a pair of heels. :bigsmile: That and chicken legs are frightening. Who wants pasty skinny chicken legs?! eww. So- any other awesome lower body work out suggestions?

:flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

Definitely agreed! I was doing 2 sets of 20-25 reps on each thigh weight machine at the gym and I felt like my thighs were bulking up so one of the girls at the gym said to do more cardio... the next day I got measured and my thighs were 2 inches smaller. Goes to show you that you can't always go by how you FEEL. Measure those puppies! As long as you're doing just as much cardio as you're doing strength training, and/or more, you won't bulk up - same with calories. If you're on a low calorie diet, your body isn't bulking up ANYTHING, it's letting loose. That's just how it goes when you're on a calorie deficit diet.
  • gupton11
    Options
    Because I don't want sarcoplasmic hypertrophy(soft puffy muscles). My goal is to be strong not look like Mr. Universe. So I stick with heavy weight and small sets for dense lean muscle.
  • gupton11
    Options

Totally.
    I personally do have "blessed genetics" so to speak... my legs are big and toned. BUT I love my 34in in seam 23 in thighs and my 17in calves. They carry me around- allow me to run faster, pedal longer, jump higher and they still look damn good in a pair of heels. :bigsmile: That and chicken legs are frightening. Who wants pasty skinny chicken legs?! eww. So- any other awesome lower body work out suggestions?

When you train with high reps you use the glycogen in your muscles and your body over compensates when it resupplies them, giving you a pumped feeling.
  • gupton11
    Options

Totally.

I've got 28" thighs and 19" calves on a 30" inseam that's big enough for me at this point i just want to improve my endurance which is why I've introduced HIIT and plyometrics to my routine.