how many continuous situps would be impressive?

Options
brdnw
brdnw Posts: 565 Member
i never ever do situps and my girlfriend whose just starting to get into lifting and such mentioned she was going to start doing situps (which i kinda am meh about situps as an ab routine, but anyhow)...anyhow she's starting at just doing a set of 25 and she said that was tough and wanted to build up from there and i wondered how many i could do in a row w\out stopping and then i wondered what would be an impressive number of situps for a fit male. so i was wondering, what is a really tough but realistic goal, 200, 300?

i did 100 this morning and it was after doing a regular workout and i wasn't motiviated to try any more than a 100 as i estimated i thought i could definately do 100, and i'd say probably 125 would be my limit right now, so i wondered what would be a good goal. WHen i say good, i mean like what would be equilvent in situps to like 20 pull ups or a 315 bench, something like that maybe, if that makes sense.

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Years ago - LOTS of years ago - I worked my way up to two daily sets of 250. After a while I developed a pain in my butt, and it just kept getting worse. I finally looked in the mirror and saw that I'd worn the skin off my tailbone. I haven't done a sit up since.

I'm 23 days into a 30 day plank challenge. I hit five minutes the last time. I'm going to see if I can add another 30 or 60 seconds to that today. I like planks better.
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    We had one dance teacher who used to make us do two or three sets of 100, though you didn't notice so much when it was to music and with varying shapes. We had him once a week, but two other teachers favoured situp-style exercises so we had those too. Nowadays, I don't really bother unless they come up in a dance class. I can knock out 50 or so before my neck or back disagrees.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Start with Army PT standards! That's a pretty good place for someone new to situps. Don't ask me how to read the darn chart, but my husband is an Army recruiter and when I asked him, this is the link he gave me.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/physical_training/apft-male-female-situp-st.shtml
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i never ever do situps and my girlfriend whose just starting to get into lifting and such mentioned she was going to start doing situps (which i kinda am meh about situps as an ab routine, but anyhow)...anyhow she's starting at just doing a set of 25 and she said that was tough and wanted to build up from there and i wondered how many i could do in a row w\out stopping and then i wondered what would be an impressive number of situps for a fit male. so i was wondering, what is a really tough but realistic goal, 200, 300?

i did 100 this morning and it was after doing a regular workout and i wasn't motiviated to try any more than a 100 as i estimated i thought i could definately do 100, and i'd say probably 125 would be my limit right now, so i wondered what would be a good goal. WHen i say good, i mean like what would be equilvent in situps to like 20 pull ups or a 315 bench, something like that maybe, if that makes sense.

Sit-ups aren't an ab routine, they're a hip flexor and momentum routine. Either way, when I was in the Army I was pushing 90-100 without stopping. I wanted to get that 90% before taking a break.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on the type of situp you're doing as well. I've been in some of my Boxing/kickboxing/Thai classes, and we can pump out anywhere from 500-1000 a session depending on the day, but they are also different variations.

But with that said, I don't find situp/crunches very useful, and only do them because I have to in class.
  • graceland64
    Options
    was very interesting to read all your comments regarding situps. im just starting out in my fitness routine and have huge belly to loose. I havnt started doing any situps as yet but was going to start this evening thinking this is the best way to get a flat tummy. am I wrong after all the years of this way of thinking. I do love the plank cant hold it for very long though lol. and would like to start doing that again also which I might try but will see how I go as I get tennis elbow in both my arms and the do get a little achy after doing the lightest of weights.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    was very interesting to read all your comments regarding situps. im just starting out in my fitness routine and have huge belly to loose. I havnt started doing any situps as yet but was going to start this evening thinking this is the best way to get a flat tummy. am I wrong after all the years of this way of thinking. I do love the plank cant hold it for very long though lol. and would like to start doing that again also which I might try but will see how I go as I get tennis elbow in both my arms and the do get a little achy after doing the lightest of weights.

If you prefer doing planks, do them. I find it's a better exercise for your core. Also, keep in my mind, this will help strengthen the core and not really burn fat. Proper nutrition is what will achieve the flat stomach look.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I did all kinds of ab work, planks, leg raises, crunches, etc. and the only time I really saw a change in my midsection was when I started having to do real good old-fashioned sit ups. I'm not saying it gave me a six pack but it definitely changed the shape of my body like no other exercise did. We have to do 200 at a time in CrossFit sometimes and I think that's enough to get the job done.

They really help with muffin tops if one is a lady.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No idea but I just saw your transformation. Well done!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    None. Sit ups seem kinda pointless to be honest.