Exercise-induced nausea?

Options
I'm not sure if that's what this is, but it's all I can come up with.

This morning I had a protein shake for breakfast, then hit the gym. I did my C25K and some wight lifting, felt fine. Came home and ate a chicken sandwich, cheese stick and yogurt for lunch.

Shortly after, I began feeling nauseas. Soon it got to the point where I was dizzy, had diarrhea, could hardly stand, and eventually threw up everything I'd eaten today. I have been drinking water all day so I figured it shouldn't be dehydration.

My husband says it's something I ate or or a stomach bug, but it all happened so quickly that I'm a little concerned. Any advice?

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like a lot of dairy, and that could be the issue.
    If you felt better after diarrhea and throwing up, it sounds like it was probably what you ate. Our stomaches are naturally lactose intolerant, and sometimes it can cause illness.

I agree with him because usually, if you're going to get sick as a result of the exercise, it's going to be during/right after. I guess it's possible that you might have stirred things up while exercising and thus been sick when trying to add to it. It honestly sounds like what I've experienced when eating more than I can handle right now.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've puked from too much exercise, but I've never had diarrhea. Makes me think your husband is right. Nor have I ever puked that long after my workout. Usually it's during or right after overdoing it.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Usually if I feel ill from too much exercise, it's during or right after my workout.

I really bad runner's trots once and the diarrhea lasted all evening. This only happened once.

Maybe it was a combination of exercise and food. Was the gym hot?

Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
  • little_firebug
    little_firebug Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't think it was a foodborne illness (those take up to 24 hours to kick in and, in my experience, don't kick in RIGHT after you eat) and I also don't think it's dairy unless you've had problems with that before. I've never heard of lactose intolerance making someone throw up though. Lactose intolerance is a tricky subject and has a lot to do with your genetic makeup--in fact the human species has been digesting dairy products longer than we have been consuming modern grains so I would agree with Quasita that you probably just stirred up your protein shake and your body wasn't ready for more. I used to struggle with what and when to eat when I first started running and found that half a banana was about all I could handle before a run or workout and then I'd have to wait a while after my workout to eat. The banana always gave me just enough potassium to power through my workout. Now I work out on an empty stomach but that's just a preference--there's no reason you can't eat before you work out and many people have a better work out when they do. But you might experiment with half a banana before your workout and save the protein shake for afterward to help with muscle recovery.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you felt better after diarrhea and throwing up, it sounds like it was probably what you ate. Our stomaches are naturally lactose intolerant, and sometimes it can cause illness.

I agree with him because usually, if you're going to get sick as a result of the exercise, it's going to be during/right after. I guess it's possible that you might have stirred things up while exercising and thus been sick when trying to add to it. It honestly sounds like what I've experienced when eating more than I can handle right now.

One thing I did forget to note is that this is the first time I've had to force down food, because I was supposed to work all night and wouldn't have the chance to consume 1000 calories later in the evening. I don't see where the diarrhea and vomiting come from though. It all started about an hour after the gym and I hope it ends soon. :(
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get nausea if I overdo core exercises. Makes my belly super angry for the rest of the day!

The symptoms you describe sound like what I've experienced after heaving sprinting sessions or a very long run. Maybe go easier next time and see if that makes a difference.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This is a one time occurrence, correct? Correlation =/= Causation. I vote that you are coming down with something and hope you feel better soon. I would not equate not feeling well today with your workout unless it continues to happen each time you exercise.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I second this. I've been sick from exercise before, and it's usually during, or right after. Pathogens that trigger diarrhea are pretty common in most animal products.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I second this. I've been sick from exercise before, and it's usually during, or right after. Pathogens that trigger diarrhea are pretty common in most animal products.

I agree also...

I've been a vegetarian for 24 years. A few years ago I accidentally ate the tiniest piece of bacon (long story)...anyhow. I was violently ill within a couple hours. Sometimes your body just don't like things and must get it out as quickly as possible. I cannot eat much ice cream now or drink milkshakes either. Same thing happens.