Lower back soreness during walking / jogging

I've been experiencing some lower back soreness / tightness while walking and jogging. It feels sort of like sciatica... and it alternates between the left and right sides, right above my butt. I've lived a sedentary lifestyle for most of my life, and I've been looking for ways to get some endurance and weight loss. I'm currently day two / week one of C25K. Is there any particular reason why I've been experiencing pain? I'm hoping it's just temporary and due to not enough activity previously.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Bump as I am in the same situation... Hopefully someone has some answers!
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    I'm a pretty inexperienced runner (only running for a few months now), but I went through something similar when I first started running intervals (similar to C25k) - my back was sore... as was my right knee. It turns out that my running form was AWFUL. I started focusing more on form than speed or distance for a few sessions, and suddenly I am pain free! Please google something like "proper running form" or look at http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/the-five-most-common-running-form-mistakes_48731

I don't know if this will ultimately help your issue, I can only speak to what helped me.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I still occasionally get a bit of lower back pain from running (especially when doing weights the day before/after etc), but it's got better since a) losing weght and b) gaining strength (so I can now run at a higher weight without pain - guessing doing 1.5x body weight on barbell squats etc DO help.)

I did an ultramathon a week ago and a couple of days later drove for 6 hours or something - both things in the past that would have left me with a ruined back.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Concentrate on your form and make sure you're wearing the right type of shoe. If you're serious about running, invest some money in a good brand of jogging shoe. Go to a reputable store and the staff will be able to assist you.

Most importantly, listen to your body.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    That happened to me when I started the program. For me I got like that when I was tense running. Its a lot when you first start the program. When I relaxed and just focused on feeling loose it got better. Also make sure you are stretching after your run...That really helps with soreness and stiffness. Good luck with the program. I finished it beginning of March and ran my first 5k. Repeating it now again but doing it on outside trail. Core strength training will also help. Happy Running
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    I get some tightness/soreness when I increase my distance to anything over 5k, so do some light stretching every half hour to hour when walking. I find it's actually my butt/hips, but it shows up in my back.

Put one foot on the other knee, then sit down (holding on to a pole for support!) so it's like you're crossing your legs man-style, without a chair. This really stretches out the hip and lower back. Both sides, 30-60 seconds each side. Works like a charm for me!!

http://www.runnerskitchen.com/2010/01/it-band-pain-and-how-to-fix-it/

(the pic is above point 3, about half way down the page)
  • aufond
    aufond Posts: 18 Member
    I used to suffer from lower back pain quite a bit, and running didn't help matters any. Oddly enough however, I found that a vigorous 30 mins. or so on an elliptical machine actually made the back pain go away!
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    Having a good sports bra fixed this for me! The difference between my 20.00 walmart bra and my 80.00 under armor bra is unreal!
  • I have scoliosis and get sciatica occasionally. Walking for more than an hour will bring on more pain than usual. I think it's the repetitive motion, so I try to do activities that change things up (like climbing). I'd suggest using ice and ibuprofen to help with the inflammation after you work out - I do that just when I have a flare-up of sciatica, not for everyday pain. Otherwise, if you're not already, work on strengthening your core. That and losing weight seems to help my pain a lot. Hope you feel better!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    I am a walker and sometimes will experience back pain if I am matching the stride of a taller person...ie when I adopt a stride that is too long for me. Shorter steps and I have no problem at all.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Oh yes, should note that decent shoes did seem to make a good difference.
    Also, get proper running socks too.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    I had a major back injury 2 years ago and dealt with pain in this area for quite some time.

1. Strength train: Pain in that area can often be caused by muscle weakness, particularly in the hips. Train your hamstrings and glutes, lower back and abs. Always train the front and back. Back extensions, planks, bridges, and leg raises are great exercises to get the blood flowing to that area.

2. Stretch: Maintain flexibility in that area. Stretch your hamstrings, quads, piriformis (sp?... it's the muscle you feel in your hips when you cross your legs "man-style"), and hip flexors. Also, find a pool noodle and roll out your IT band: the area on the outside of your thigh. If this doesn't help, a good PT can massage it out or use electro-stim to ease the tension.

3. Shoes: Are they new? Replace running/walking shoes 3-4 times a year. Even if the treads don't look worn, the slightest bit of wear can cause agony for people with a bad back.

4. Start slowly: Just because C25K says you should increase your mileage, doesn't mean your back is ready. Start slowly, and increase mileage as you can tolerate it. I used to tell myself "I don't care how slowly you go. You are running X distance today." or "I don't care how long you run, but you'll be going *this* fast until it hurt, and then you're walking the rest of the way." Stretch after every workout!

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Having a good sports bra fixed this for me! The difference between my 20.00 walmart bra and my 80.00 under armor bra is unreal!
    YES! Also this.
    Good sports bras are stupid expensive, but absolutely necessary.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,896 Member
    I had a physiotherapist who used to say that most running injuries stemmed from weak core. Can you look into possible strength imbalance in the core such as abs and glutes vs lower back?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Concentrate on your form and make sure you're wearing the right type of shoe. If you're serious about running, invest some money in a good brand of jogging shoe. Go to a reputable store and the staff will be able to assist you.

Most importantly, listen to your body.

QFT