Needing Motivation

Options
Hi All,
I have been trying to track my food and exercise here and really love the site. Logging in often and keeping up with my food diary is not difficult for me. But, I am having loads of trouble motivating myself to exercise.
My favorite forms of exercise are yoga and walking/running. Currently I am trying to work on a regular running program by starting out slow.

Does anyone have any advice on motivation techniques? I always find a way to talk myself out of physical activities.

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    we have a small gym where I work. I come in in the AM and drop of my gym bag in the gym. I leave my phone and car keys in my gym bag. That way I have to go to the locker room before I can even leave. Keys usually fall to the bottom so I have to get out my shoes and clothes to find them anyway -- so I figure I am half way to getting changed I might as well finish it out.

I dont like the idea of exercising but I always feel so much better physically and emptionally afterwards.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I go first thing in the morning so that I'm too tired to talk myself out of it. I find that fighting for ten minutes to wake up and go beat trying to convince myself all day that I still need to go. I personally hate running. I think it's boring and if I could get around it I would. On that note - I hate being fat more. So I go.
  • groggyfrog
    Options
    We might be a good match, I have been trying to track my food and I was great for about 2 weeks then last week I just didn't log on. So I gained weight. Exercise comes a little more naturally, I like walking to places, I love my bike and I do Pilates. What motivates me is not thinking of it as exercise, fitting it in through out the day like using exercise as transportation to somewhere I am going. Footwear is key for me, if I put on pretty shoes I don't do much but if I put on my flats (boots in the fall and sandals in the summer) then getting out of the house is much more likely.

Currently I am looking for a friend to help motivate me to track my food regularly, shall we hook up and I'll do my best to help motivate you to exercise? I don't know much about running but I am familiar with anatomy and can help in a general way. Give me a friend request if you are interested.
  • n10sipe
    Options
    Because you like to run and walk I would highly recommend trying out either Couch to 5k or Couch to 10k depending on how advanced you are. It is a great app that I use with my ipod. It will start you out slow and gradually work you up to either the 5k or 10k running. It is only three days a week so it is easy for me to work it into my schedule, and I fit in a little strength training a couple days a week if I feel up to it, along with some abdominal work outs. Because it starts you out very gradually, I find it a lot easier to motivate myself to do the workout because I know that it is something that will give me a good workout, but not over do it at the same time. I find that if I over do it with the exercise, I get burned out fast and that makes me find any excuse to quit. Another great app is the Nike + GPS or using the Nike sensor. Both of these are so nice to keep you motivated because they track everything that you do. Once you finish the work out and see the calories that you burned, your time, and your distance, I think that is enough to make you want to do it again. You can use both the Couch to 5 or 10k along with the Nike apps at the same time, which both have "motivational speakers" that talk to you throughout your workout, and at the end of each workout to keep you going:)
  • blbond82
    Options
    I second the Couch to 5K program. I've always been a non-exerciser but this gives me a structured program with goals to help motivate me to get out and walk/jog at least 3 days a week.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Its the first thing that I do when I wake up. I get up extra early (4am) and work out and then get on with the rest of my dad. Otherwise, I'm sure it would get skipped a lot. It also makes for a better day for me. I have just found this site and have to say the food tracking is great. I dont think I've found anything like it in the past. I also do fun work outs. I have a good selection of beachbody work outs like Turbo Fire, P90x, Insanity, Slim in 6. Currently going through my first full round of P90x. I also just signed up to be a coach for them, so I feel like I have to get to my goal in order to effectively encourage others. I also mix these work outs up with classes like Turbo Kick and Zumba! I love to dance!! I havent used my treadmill in months.:happy:
  • plm0902
    plm0902 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really like the couch to 5k idea and I am going to find that app. A motivational voice in my ear just might help out and I love actually seeing some results.
    Groggyfrog keep an eye out for that friend request, I would love help each other out!