Wanting to be borderline skinny, why do people hate us?

Options
2»

Replies

• lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What is borderline skinny? Wouldn't that just be average? Is there such a thing as borderline, seeing as everyone has a pretty good range of average weight compared to height?

While that is my point, it is average! Nope, i mean somewhere around 19-20 bmi

OK that doesn't really sound to me as unhealthy or even underweight I guess it all depends on how you go about achieving that and if you realize that it may be impossible to keep up with a diet plan that will keep you there once you are there. If it's normal, comfortable and a lifestyle that will keep you healthy in all aspects than I see no problem with that. You know your body better than anyone, as long as you're not losing muscle mass and bone density due to any extreme measures you may need to take (this is not to include bulimia or anorexia) and you are not setting yourself up for unrealistic goals, then by all means that is your decision. You can't ask people to support your final goal if they don't agree with it though.

True, sometimes I just wanna see what works for other people, since it's better than googling i mean it's more personal, it's based on experience. But yeah I guess i am expecting too much from here, THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm always amused by how "everyone is beautiful" and "love the body you have" applies to fat people, but not to slimmer ones!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't think people hate us, or those who you call "borderline skinny." I do think that was a weird way to describe someone with a BMI of 19-20 and it might rub others the wrong way. Some people associate "skinny" with unhealthy, or with young hysterical women who want attention. You may see some of them on here, who make threads about why they have to eat 1200 calories when they only eat 700-800, etc etc.

My BMI is 19 and while I do feel skinny, I still feel healthy. I also only have a few more lbs to lose till I transition into maintenance so my calories are higher now than a couple months ago. I eat about 1400-1600 now for a 1/2 to 1 lb loss a week and will up my calories again in a month to 1600-1800 and let the rest of it jump off. Well, I HOPE very much to be eating 1700-1800 by May. The hard thing will be keeping up my exercise routine.

I'm sure you will be able to eat your 1500 calories ( or less, or more give or take ) when your teeth heal. I don't think you have a problem, but again, the "borderline skinny" kind of sounds out of place and strange.

But yeah, aim for the BMI of which you want to be, as long as it is healthy and you feel healthy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    K, good to know.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    I don't think people hate us, or those who you call "borderline skinny." I do think that was a weird way to describe someone with a BMI of 19-20 and it might rub others the wrong way. Some people associate "skinny" with unhealthy, or with young hysterical women who want attention. You may see some of them on here, who make threads about why they have to eat 1200 calories when they only eat 700-800, etc etc.

My BMI is 19 and while I do feel skinny, I still feel healthy. I also only have a few more lbs to lose till I transition into maintenance so my calories are higher now than a couple months ago. I eat about 1400-1600 now for a 1/2 to 1 lb loss a week and will up my calories again in a month to 1600-1800 and let the rest of it jump off. Well, I HOPE very much to be eating 1700-1800 by May. The hard thing will be keeping up my exercise routine.

I'm sure you will be able to eat your 1500 calories ( or less, or more give or take ) when your teeth heal. I don't think you have a problem, but again, the "borderline skinny" kind of sounds out of place and strange.

But yeah, aim for the BMI of which you want to be, as long as it is healthy and you feel healthy.

Shouldve entitled it "wanting bmi 19-20..." You are right :)
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm always amused by how "everyone is beautiful" and "love the body you have" applies to fat people, but not to slimmer ones!

It applies to everyone... surround yourself with skinny women and they will discuss how every skinny woman is beautiful, surround yourself with those who have a little extra and they will discuss how extra is beautiful. And the two meet in the middle to contradict one another. Let's just focus on what IS beautiful and that is healthy. Different heights means different weight means different strokes for different folks. Everyone is biased in some form or fashion.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

It applies to everyone... surround yourself with skinny women and they will discuss how every skinny woman is beautiful, surround yourself with those who have a little extra and they will discuss how extra is beautiful. And the two meet in the middle to contradict one another. Let's just focus on what IS beautiful and that is healthy. Different heights means different weight means different strokes for different folks. Everyone is biased in some form or fashion.

I hope being unhealthy is beautiful too or I am fvcked
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Where do some of you find these people that make you feel some type of way!? lol

Is it what you attract?

I do not get put down whether I want to be extremely thin, thick, overweight, or whatever. Guess I attract good folks online and off.

Change up that energy and maybe some of you will stop attracting those who make you feel some type of way. lol
  • _Lovely77_
    Options

I hope being unhealthy is beautiful too or I am fvcked

I think you read a little bit too much into what it means fitness wise to be healthy. You're talking mental or general health, I am talking fitness health.
  • _Lovely77_
    Options
    Where do some of you find these people that make you feel some type of way!? lol

Is it what you attract?

I do not get put down whether I want to be extremely thin, thick, overweight, or whatever. Guess I attract good folks online and off.

Change up that energy and maybe some of you will stop attracting those who make you feel some type of way. lol

There are a few on this site that could definitely learn what positive energy is all about, you're right!
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The **** did I just read?

len67rq
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    The **** did I just read?

len67rq

:wink:
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Look it's your life... Do what you want. Just stop expecting everyone to agree with you. MfP does provide support, it may not be what you want to hear, but that does not mean there is no support.

I agree. It's your life. Do what you like! What's it matter what others think? Your life, your choices! :smile:

I'm not saying I support you. I'm Just saying you have the free will to do what you want. Not that I would do the same. I honestly don't care.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Wisdom tooth surgery does suck big time OP. I had an impacted one too & the dentist decided to whip out all 4 at the same time. It took me about 3wks in total to recover properly afterwards. Hope it heals up for you quick.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If you mean slim but a healthy BMI then don't give a second thought to the comments about being too skinny. My sister is about 15% and she's strong and packed with muscle and amazing. She wears a size 0, she IS skinny...and looks and feels fabulous. She LOVES to eat good food, and a reasonable amount of it.

However, if you were talking about a BMI that would put you in the underweight category, if you were losing your hair and feeling fatigued and eating too little, on purpose, with the intent of continuing to be underweight...then people who care about you would be right to mention it.
  • AbigailWins
    Options

Is it what you attract?

Eww
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    Wisdom tooth surgery does suck big time OP. I had an impacted one too & the dentist decided to whip out all 4 at the same time. It took me about 3wks in total to recover properly afterwards. Hope it heals up for you quick.

Thank you! One is healing very well, the other not so good but thanks for your insight! Geez 3wks? Such a long time I am hungry :(:flowerforyou:
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Thank you! One is healing very well, the other not so good but thanks for your insight! Geez 3wks? Such a long time I am hungry :(:flowerforyou:

Yeah I lucked out with a fragment that was still in a socket & had to go back in. However, I was back on soft foods about 10 days post op. You may want to have a look at nourishment drinks (the kind they give to geriatrics who have problems eating). They're pretty good on hitting vitamins & would help make up your cals more easily. Protein shakes might be a bit too thick for you at the min, & those drinks are generally an easy formula to swallow.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I want it for a reason, it is my body.............. I have a deep understanding of eating disorders, I am healthy mentally, physically and spiritually, I dont have body image problems.......... i am generally in my normal temperament so it's nearly impossible for me to get an eating disorder. .................it's just that I wanna be borderline skinny, that's it. It's for aesthetic reasons, and I hate having to explain why everytime I ask for people's help on some matters. ........Might as well not ask for help here. That is some serious slim shaming, why is slim shaming okay and fat shaming rude? What's the difference? It's both pure evil.

Can you please define what you mean by 'borderline' skinny? If you mean the line bordering between naturally slim with a very small frame and being unhealthy, then THAT is why people aren't getting behind it.

If you could also define what you mean by 'aesthetic reasons' that would be good too.

Is it because you are aiming to look like yourself at a smaller size or because you are aiming to look like someone you have only ever seen in a magazine or movie? Those individuals literally have teams of people employed specifically to get them near some unobtainable idea of beauty BEFORE literally another team of people use photoshop to remove every imaginable (and some utterly unimagined) flaws in post.

It is an unobtainable goal and even Cindy Crawford has said she wishes she looked like Cindy Crawford.

Normal in temperament people get eating disorders too. It is slippery slope of wanting to look more like people in magazines or movies to being miserable and damaging yourself.

I used to want to be borderline skinny looking (as in almost unhealthy slim/underweight).
    Now I just want to be toned, flexible, strong and capable of doing push ups.
  • moveyourself
    Options
    OP I understand completely where you are coming from.

Regardless of all the criticism you are getting for posting this, I agree with you, and I've had the same crap get thrown at me for just wanting to be 'skinny'.

My best advice to you is to just do what you want, and ignore everyone's opinions or criticism regarding your personal choices.

It's your body and you should be allowed to do what you want with it.