can anyone help with these numbers?!

I'm entirely confusedm , I've never used TDEE OR BMR numbers to lose weight before, I lost 6 stone 5 years ago by calorie counting and walking, and ate between 1200-1400 cals a day.
MFP has given me 1200 cals in order to lose 2lb a week, I am 5'7, 219lbs. I just calculated my TDEE and BMR which are 1743 BMR 2092 TDEE.
Now, based on what I've read on here, I should be eating between those numbers to lose weight, have I got that right? Or should I take the BMR rate a deduct a certain amount based on how much I want to lose?!
Help?!

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Take your TDEE amount, subtract 15-20% and eat that number consistently.

Your TDEE is how much you need to eat everyday to maintain your current weight and activity level. Eating over this amount would be a caloric surplus, and under puts you in a deficit where you lose weight. When using the TDEE method, you do not eat your exercise calories back, as they are already included in your allotted intake.

Your BMR is the bare minimum calories your body need to function. By no means should you eat under this amount.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Take your TDEE amount, subtract 15-20% and eat that number consistently.

Your TDEE is how much you need to eat everyday to maintain your current weight and activity level. Eating over this amount would be a caloric surplus, and under puts you in a deficit where you lose weight. When using the TDEE method, you do not eat your exercise calories back, as they are already included in your allotted intake.

Your BMR is the bare minimum calories your body need to function. By no means should you eat under this amount.

eh not so much...when I first came here MFP put me under my BMR while I was losing 1lb a week...it doesn't hurt as long as it doesn't go on for a tonne of time.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    ^^^This.

With only 58 lb. to lose, 2 lb. per week is unhealthy. Lower your goal.
  • curiology
    curiology Posts: 15
    I've now set my cals to 1400 a day, 200 above what MFP set me to, and 270 below what my TDEE- 20% is. This works out to 1.6lbs a week estimated loss. I'm going to try this for 2 weeks and see how my body reacts to it. I haven't felt tired or hungry on 1200, but don't want to stall my loss by undereating