I know EXACTLY what to do

Options
I know exactly where I want to be and I know exactly how to get there and I know exactly what I need to do to get there and if I follow the steps I see results.....SO? What is WRONG with me?
I know that there needs to be an intrinsic drive to get yourself going, and I get that drive and act on it, but as soon as it falters it's like a downward spiral that doesn't seem to stop until I've gained more weight than I initially lost. I've maintained a 25 lb lose but as soon as I fall below 180 lbs I seem to shoot right back up again. I've gone down to 159 before even, but I've never been lower than that. I'm going to college this upcoming August and I refuse to begin this new chapter in my life with unnecessary obstacles like poor health and excess weight in my way.

I don't know what the issue is, honestly. Any advice?

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    we all have our line in the sand, sounds like you havent found yours yet. for me, it took seeing my christmas pictures and how fat my face looked, and how horrible i felt, and how i needed new jeans, in a bigger size before it finally stuck. keep at it. if you falter, dont beat yourself up about it, but try again. you only fail when you stop trying.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I would really focus on college as your INITIAL goal.
    But, make sure you set reasonable goals after that, so you don't achieve your goal and let it all go when you start college.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

do you struggle with exercising, or eating right? do you binge eat? either late at night, or do you go days eating very little and then binge eat over the weekend or something?

you need to find your weaknesses, and make them strengths.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For me, I have to focus on the process and trust the results will come. I'm in a mini-plateau now, and it's a weight I was stuck at for a few years, and if I don't trust the process I'd probably be inclined to give up and start eating a lot. But I know the math is right, I know I'm logging right, and I know it's just a blip and I'll continue downward weight-wise soon enough.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would really focus on college as your INITIAL goal.
    But, make sure you set reasonable goals after that, so you don't achieve your goal and let it all go when you start college.

Good advice here - focus on attaining good health. Once you get to the mindset of what you will get if you don't eat something, instead of what you are missing, it will click for you. You have so much to look forward to - make fitness a hobby and part of your lifestyle. It is just who you are. Then you will have long term success. Good luck in college! You seem very bright and will do well.:flowerforyou:
  • pavenewpaths
    Options
    how tall are you?

do you struggle with exercising, or eating right? do you binge eat? either late at night, or do you go days eating very little and then binge eat over the weekend or something?

you need to find your weaknesses, and make them strengths.

I used to eat about 800 calories per day because it felt adequate, once I started realizing that I faltered and binged because I didn't eat enough, I started eating consistently at 1300 calories. I gained weight but I was expecting that, so that's not really what hindered my efforts. It was the fact that I STILL binged afterwards. Usually it's because I'll go into a temporary mental state of "I can't do this" or "This isn't worth it" and it's ridiculous and I regret it afterwards but at the moment it seems logical. I exercise about four/five times a week, consistently. I'm 5'5".
  • pavenewpaths
    Options
    For me, I have to focus on the process and trust the results will come. I'm in a mini-plateau now, and it's a weight I was stuck at for a few years, and if I don't trust the process I'd probably be inclined to give up and start eating a lot. But I know the math is right, I know I'm logging right, and I know it's just a blip and I'll continue downward weight-wise soon enough.

Yes!
    I think the best advice I've learned in regards to weight loss is focusing on the now. Accomplishing the small goals in the process and simply accepting that results ARE a result and not apart of the process. It's just so hard when you're so far from your goal weight and it seems you'll never achieve it, you know?

I think I really do need to focus on day to day challenges instead of looking at the big picture.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Yes!
    I think the best advice I've learned in regards to weight loss is focusing on the now. Accomplishing the small goals in the process and simply accepting that results ARE a result and not apart of the process. It's just so hard when you're so far from your goal weight and it seems you'll never achieve it, you know?

I think I really do need to focus on day to day challenges instead of looking at the big picture.

I think that's key for a lot of people. Some folks on here just focus on 10 pounds at a time. I do the same. For example, I've never gotten rid of my various sizes of thin(ner) jeans. When I stablilized at 159, I got out a pair and tried them on. ( I only had one pair that fit me at 172 and refused to buy more.) And they fit. Now I'm struggling to get down to 149, and once I do, I have a few pair I'm pretty sure will fit me and I'll reward myself by trying them on. My wardrobe is expanding every 10 pounds. It's silly, but it works for me.