Graves disease/ hyperthyroidism frustrated.

Options
Feeling frustrated I only lost 25 pds in one year. People tell me its the dz and be patient, but it dies not help feeling frustrated. Any suggestion or advice? Does anyone relate? I weight train 3 days a week do 4 days of cardio and eat pretty healthy.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and it took me a year to lose 20 lb.
  • Step1981
    Step1981 Posts: 4
    Options
    I definitely relate. I have hypothyroidism. I have been struggling all my life. But 4 years ago i did lose 121 pds. It can be done.
  • Majal10
    Majal10 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your dr? Hyperthyroidism causes weight loss. Maybe your meds dosage needs lowering? But in any case, 25 lbs per year sounds good.
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi harvest4me...here's a link to a thread you may find useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1101160-grave-s-disease-and-hyperthyroidism

Take care!

9thChakra
  • Majal10
    Options
    Yes hyperthyroidism is suppose to cause wt loss but unfortunately there are some that gain weight. After taking the meds off n on per doctors request it made me gain weight with a vengeance and now it's so difficult to lose it. I had it checked and I am on remission but the wt is not budging.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Thyroid problems mess up your whole system. I have been hypothyroid for over 12 years and have had many different medication changes and increases. It is frustrating and not easy but I have stopped gaining and started losing. This is the important part. Progress has been slow but I lost 39 pounds in 3 years and am keeping it off and am continuing to lose and get healthier. Good luck on your journey. It will not be quick or easy but you can do it.
  • Majal10
    Options
    THANKS LIZZY, IT GETS FRUSTRATING AT TIMES WHEN UR DOING EVERYTHING RT AND NOT LOSING.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes hyperthyroidism is suppose to cause wt loss but unfortunately there are some that gain weight.

This was me as well. I had Graves for 10+ years and struggled with the Methimazole dosage, which was forever increasing. My weight yo-yo'd around so bad that I just gave up. Obviously not the right attitude, because I ended up with an extra 165lbs to loose. So don't give up.

After 2 rounds of radiation (almost 3!) I'm hypo and finding it easier to deal with than being extremely hyper.
    I don't really have any advice or suggestions, just support and understanding :flowerforyou:
  • Majal10
    Options
    Ty twinkle any support is appreciated. Hope all is well.
  • blh76820
    blh76820 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hyperthyroidism "usually" causes weight loss that is associated with a metabolism on overdrive,but this isn't always the case. Even without taking my prescriptions( i haven't been good and haven't taken mine in 4 months) I don't lose, and I actually gain. The reason for this is that I eat to compensate for my metabolism. The tachycardia limits how engaged I can be in strength training and cardio. I had to find amazing balance and really focus on my food choices for there to be any affect. If I don't stay strict, I can easily gain 6-10lbs in less than two weeks.
  • Majal10
    Options
    Hyperthyroidism "usually" causes weight loss that is associated with a metabolism on overdrive,but this isn't always the case. Even without taking my prescriptions( i haven't been good and haven't taken mine in 4 months) I don't lose, and I actually gain. The reason for this is that I eat to compensate for my metabolism. The tachycardia limits how engaged I can be in strength training and cardio. I had to find amazing balance and really focus on my food choices for there to be any affect. If I don't stay strict, I can easily gain 6-10lbs in less than two weeks.

Ty for the info. That is exactly me gaining like crazy. It makes sense ty. What's tthe cal intake to lose weight
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My issue was low energy from my hypo!! My Dr told me to start taking a womens multivitamin and extra B12. I have the energy to exercise now and I dont want to constantly eat. Ask your Dr. about adding extra vitamins.