Is 1300 daily calories too little?

Im still new here (just started yesterday) and I was wondering was 1300 enough calories to eat a day. I was looking online and I am getting mixed answers. I dont want to go into starvation mode or anything bad. I am 5'7 and 187 pounds. MFP calculated that I should eat 1300 calories to lose 1.5 pounds a week.

Replies

• The limit for a female is 1,200 calories. So in a short answer, yes. 1,300 calories is a low restriction. But you wont go into starvation mode if that is your limit.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Here's a really good link that might help you get started on the right foot.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    See how you go after a little while, everyone is different.

1200 cals is the bare minimum that is recommended for healthy weight loss, so technically 1300 isn't "unhealthy". Although it's hard to judge if it's right for you because I'm not sure on your exercise daily etc. If you're burning 600 calories per day in exercise 1300 is too low yes. But if you aren't doing any exercise I would see if you are feeling hungry at all after 1300 and if you are, bump it up a little :-)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Maybe you can just try it for a couple weeks and see how it works for you. I'm 5'2" and losing slowly on 1450, give or take 100. (Each day ends of a little different) It seriously stinks to be losing only a half pound per week, BUT, on this many calories, I'm not hungry all day and ending up binging at nights like when I tried 1200 cals.

At your height and weight, you could definitely lose weight on a couple hundred more calories. It usually takes trial and error to figure out our magic numbers. Be sure to check out the link that was provided. It's great!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    If you feel hungry, or think it's too low, then maybe try adding a little bit and how it goes in a few weeks. I'm almost 5;8 ,I started @202, and am 135 now. I eat @1550/ 1900 but what works for me, may not work for you. Everyone is different, so play around with it and see what works for you :-) just be sure to weigh and measure everything you eat, to ensure accuracy. You'll find what is best for you, it just takes time! :-)
  • missbeautyb
    missbeautyb Posts: 27 Member

1200 cals is the bare minimum that is recommended for healthy weight loss, so technically 1300 isn't "unhealthy". Although it's hard to judge if it's right for you because I'm not sure on your exercise daily etc. If you're burning 600 calories per day in exercise 1300 is too low yes. But if you aren't doing any exercise I would see if you are feeling hungry at all after 1300 and if you are, bump it up a little :-)

I am exercising 5 days a week and burn from 350 to 450 most days doing cardio. But the first two days I have been under my calories by 200 or less. So that means I am actually eating under 1300 with exercise? Wow I will just bump my calories up to 1500 and work with that first to see how it goes.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member

I am exercising 5 days a week and burn from 350 to 450 most days doing cardio. But the first two days I have been under my calories by 200 or less. So that means I am actually eating under 1300 with exercise? Wow I will just bump my calories up to 1500 and work with that first to see how it goes.

How do you calculate your calories burned from excersize... thats seems quite high. Trying looking into the TDEE method. MFP overcalculates calories burned
  • missbeautyb
    missbeautyb Posts: 27 Member

How do you calculate your calories burned from excersize... thats seems quite high. Trying looking into the TDEE method. MFP overcalculates calories burned
    [/quote]

Yes I am starting to realize that MFP over calculates by comparing to other online tools. I dont understand TDEE method though. Didn't think this would be easy but didn't think it would be this hard either :/