Thoughts on decreasing calories through the day?

Options
I get it, it makes sense, I just have a hard time doing it. I don't want a huge breakfast and it feels weird to eat a tiny dinner. Maybe after doing it a few days my feelings will change. I'm all for trying something new, but I just wondered everyone's thoughts on this...? Thanks!

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    then switch it up. have a small breakfast so you can have a larger dinner. all that really matters is the day's calories deficit
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I personally skip breakfast, eat a normal lunch. Then a 1200+ calorie dinner.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Why do it? For most people, meal timing is irrelevant.

I eat the majority of my calories after 4 pm. Supper is my biggest meal. I wouldn't have stuck with this any other way.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't even eat breakfast most days, and in fact don't eat anything until around noon-1pm.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually my biggest meal, especially on days where I go running before. Lunch, Dinner and the snack for the day are usually about the same calorie wise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat in a way that allows the best adherence and gives you the most energy, especially for your workouts.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I get it, it makes sense, I just have a hard time doing it. I don't want a huge breakfast and it feels weird to eat a tiny dinner. Maybe after doing it a few days my feelings will change. I'm all for trying something new, but I just wondered everyone's thoughts on this...? Thanks!

Then don't do it?
    I get it, it makes sense,
    I don't, and it doesn't to me. I'm actually hungrier during the day when I have breakfast. I still do it, to hit my relatively high protein macro for the day, but if my goal was just hitting my calorie limit and decreasing hunger, I would go back to skipping it entirely.

Ultimately, use the meal timing plan that 1) fits your personal schedule, 2) works best with your hunger, and 3) works best for you for whatever reason. There might be an argument for a certain distribution in certain situations, but its importance is *FAR* down the list and total calories is at the top.
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You read a lot of stuff out there and decide what makes sense and what's right for you. I have read a lot of articles saying that the large calorie meal should be in the morning because then you have all day to work it off vs eating it at night where you are lower in activity and preparing to sleep.

I just started tracking my food on this app and love the macros. After a week of doing it, I was pretty spot on for my macros and never went over my calories, so I feel like I'm doing good with that, just want to get the most from my efforts. I won't worry about this distribution of calories concept for now :):)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You read a lot of stuff out there and decide what makes sense and what's right for you. I have read a lot of articles saying that the large calorie meal should be in the morning because then you have all day to work it off vs eating it at night where you are lower in activity and preparing to sleep.

I just started tracking my food on this app and love the macros. After a week of doing it, I was pretty spot on for my macros and never went over my calories, so I feel like I'm doing good with that, just want to get the most from my efforts. I won't worry about this distribution of calories concept for now :):)

Whether you eat more in the morning or more at night, the energy you use during the day doesn't change. Also, (especially if you're in a calorie deficit), the energy you're using today doesn't come from the food you eat today anyhow.

TL;DR - a lot of the articles you read are bogus.

Good plan not to worry about the timing. That said, experiment with the timing and figure out what works best for your particular situation. The good news about the timing being irrelevant is that you can experiment without worrying that you're potentially screwing anything up.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Eat in a way that makes you feel best ♡

I wake up around 7 am and don't eat breakfast until almost noon. My biggest meal is lunch and I have a pretty big snack after dinner.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eat in a way that allows the best adherence and gives you the most energy, especially for your workouts.

Hear hear!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you.