Taekwondo calories

Options
I logged in a workout under Taekwondo. I worked on individual techniques, forms, one steps, and weapons for 77 minutes and it says 1674 calories. To me, that seems a bit too high. Am I wrong?

Replies

• lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just started TKD about a month ago and I'm loving it. Our lessons go for just over an hour and I usually break a sweat but I'm not exerting myself nearly as much as when I run. I figure that 1/2 of the time is listening to instructions, stretching and slow-motion copying the master's movements. I take my real time and cut it in half which I figure is close to the actual burn.
  • karbar75
    karbar75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take my real time and cut it in half which I figure is close to the actual burn.

I do the same thing. Our classes usually only run 50 minutes or so but I base calorie burn on 25 minutes, and even less if I know it was more poomsae focused class versus more cardio type activities, or sparring. Such a great workout, for body and mind though!
  • nicola1812
    nicola1812 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do tkd and average anything from 600-900 calories for a 90 minute class depending on what we actually do. Today we went over and in an hour and 3 quarters i burnt 806 calories. Today's class after warm up and basics was all pattern work, so was quite surprised at calorie burn. My current weight is 170lbs and i'm 5ft 5 if that helps.