Trusting the numbers (weight gain after increasing exercise)

Options
I just thought I'd post this to encourage anyone else who has recently started strength/resistance training and is noticing a weight gain!

Two weeks ago, I added a workout DVD (only 30 minutes) five days a week to my cardio routine. I logged it (as Circuit Training, General) and ate back the calories. My weight started to rise steadily for three or four days, then began to fluctuate. The advice I found on MFP forums was, "it's water retention due to muscle repair. Wait for two weeks or so, and trust the numbers." I gritted my teeth, and took that advice.

Two weeks on, and -- hey presto! -- I'm back exactly at my target weight loss over the period (0.7 kg/week -- the loss which has me netting my BMR every day).

So, thanks for all the advice; and, folks, trust the numbers! Calories in, calories out. DON'T give up on the exercise when the numbers are discouraging!

Replies

• Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    And today I've realised that I have been logging with MFP for exactly 10 weeks! The system is working exactly as it should, for me; I think that the key is logging everything.