Need some help with finding the right strength exercise

Options
HaraldurB
HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
Hi, I'm suffering from Costochondritis which is basically a swelling in the rib joints which can hurt like hell. I was just wondering if anyone knew any good strength exercises that I can do at home that doesn't strain too much the rib cage in my chest?

Oh and feel free to send me a friend request if you want.

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm suffering from Costochondritis which is basically a swelling in the rib joints which can hurt like hell. I was just wondering if anyone knew any good strength exercises that I can do at home that doesn't strain too much the rib cage in my chest?

Oh and feel free to send me a friend request if you want.

What kind of pain are we talking about and doing what exactly? Being in combat sports, I've broken/crack ribs a few times, and with that pain, coughing and sneezing hurt like hell, So exercise was pretty much out of the question. This is obviously a little different is there is inflammation and such.

So does it hurt with touch? Rib cage expanding? They're certain things you can work through, but not all.

What has the doctor said about exercising after the diagnosis?
  • funkyforager
    funkyforager Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would ask the doctor to be safe or a personal trainer.... unless anyone on here is in the same boat, good luck.
  • manojpatel01
    Options
    Thanks for posting...
  • HaraldurB
    Options
    Costochondritis is caused by inflammation in the joints between the cartilages that join the ribs to the breastbone (sternum). It is not considered serious but it can be very painful. Thankfully I'm past the first stages that are usually the most painful ones and I'm wanting to do some easy strength exercises at home that I can gradually improve on. Right now I don't have constant pain in my chest but I feel that when I do something that stretches my chest I usually get some pain afterwards. But it doesn't seem to last more than an hour or two so I'm hoping that if I do things gradually then it will stop bother me.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider the Russian Kettlebell.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Costochondritis is caused by inflammation in the joints between the cartilages that join the ribs to the breastbone (sternum). It is not considered serious but it can be very painful. Thankfully I'm past the first stages that are usually the most painful ones and I'm wanting to do some easy strength exercises at home that I can gradually improve on. Right now I don't have constant pain in my chest but I feel that when I do something that stretches my chest I usually get some pain afterwards. But it doesn't seem to last more than an hour or two so I'm hoping that if I do things gradually then it will stop bother me.

Expanding the chest involves most exercises, so you would have to try them out at a low resistance to really see how you'll feel to be honest.

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help

Good luck OP :)
  • HaraldurB
    Options
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll probably get a kettlebell and start with some easy exercises and try to build on that. Thanks for your replies everyone.