Hands keep slipping with deadlifts...grrr

Options
I've started doing compound lifts to make the most out of my workouts. I also use free weights (I don't use the machines) so I purchased a pair of lifting gloves for grip and wrist support. The gloves seem to be fine with every exercise but when I do deadlifts, particularly when I start adding weight to the 20kg bar my fingers slip so I can't do more than about 8reps, reducing to about 3 on my final set. It's really frustrating as my body is able to lift more weight and more reps but my damn fingers are stopping me!! Any tips? My gym does provide chalk but a lot of the time they have run out so that isn't really an option.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think gloves are a good idea!

Chalk - Normal or liquid chalk helps a lot with grip, this would be my number one extra for deadlifts

Straps - While doing higher reps on deadlifts your grip can go a lot quicker than when you hit failure. Straps will help you keep a hold of the bar for longer

Mixed grip - I prefer this for heavier sets (1-3 reps) you have one hand as normal and the other hand turned away from you going under the bar. It's much easier to keep a hold of the bar but straps for higher reps is definately my preffered method
  • kmegow
    kmegow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Use straps. Ask a trainer how to get started. Basically, you slide your hand through a loop, then wrap the strap around the bar, and hold the end with the bar. The other option is to use hooks, which are attached to a strap. I like the straps. You might also work on some grip-strengthening exercises. Part of the challenge when lifting free weights is the grip. Keep up the good work!
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Try to grip the bar with one overhand and one underhand grip simutaneously. Just alternate your grips between sets. When lifting heavy the bar may seem to want to roll out of your fingers but when your hands are gripping in opposing directions it creates a bit more stability eliminating that roll out effect.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Will definitely look into straps. Do they also provide wrist support?

My issue is definitely with the feeling of the bar rolling out of my hands (largely due to the fact my hands get sweaty - sorry if that's TMI!) so will try the alternative grip. Back in the gym Wednesday so will let you know how I get on
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Chalk is great and mixed grip, as others have mentioned.

You can work on your grip by doing farmers walks. Grab a heavy dumbbell in each hand and walk from one end of the gym to the other and then back again. Keep working on carrying heavier weights and your grip will get much stronger.

Edited for poor typing skills on my phone.
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same thing when starting off doing deads, i just switched to an overhand underhand grip like a few people have suggested and eventually my forearms built up enough strength for it not to be an issue anymore.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Will definitely look into straps. Do they also provide wrist support?

My issue is definitely with the feeling of the bar rolling out of my hands (largely due to the fact my hands get sweaty - sorry if that's TMI!) so will try the alternative grip. Back in the gym Wednesday so will let you know how I get on

No they don't provide support. But your own chalk. It cost 1.79 a block and will last a year. Also use a mix grip.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Purchase wrist wraps for wrist support, not gloves.

Use chalk. I'm one of the few for whom gloves (ridiculously tight ones) don't seem to interfere with grip, but I rarely use them anymore because I'm finally at a gym that allows chalk.

Make sure the bar is low (on the fingers), not in the palm of your hand as the bar will end up there anyway and the momentum of that bar movement can break your grip.

Dumbbell rows and farmer's walks will definitely help with your grip strength.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Chalk - Normal or liquid chalk helps a lot with grip, this would be my number one extra for deadlifts

Straps - While doing higher reps on deadlifts your grip can go a lot quicker than when you hit failure. Straps will help you keep a hold of the bar for longer

Mixed grip - I prefer this for heavier sets (1-3 reps) you have one hand as normal and the other hand turned away from you going under the bar. It's much easier to keep a hold of the bar but straps for higher reps is definately my preffered method

I was thinking this but without the straps….

Ditch the gloves…

I once had a pretty bad callus so I got some gloves to help cover it up and my grip went to hell in a hand basket….

I do not use gloves and now take pride in my callus's...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Gloves are bad for grip, especially once you start getting to heavy weight. I use liquid chalk through all deadlift sets and mixed grip for near-maximal weightxreps
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use gloves with a wrist wrap incorporated and also use straps with them. I still end up bruising my wrists with the straps (i lift very heavy).
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    also, you might consider working on your grip strength...

Farmers carries, dead hangs, pinching plates, or even simply just holding the loaded bar as long as possible.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    other then what is already been said, make sure you are not palming the bar with your grip. Wrap your hands around the bar so it rests closer to your fingers. It might feel strange the first couple of times and you might thing you are going to drop it... but keep at it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your issue is mainly stemming from using a double overhand grip. As the weight gets heavier, the bar is more apt to roll out of your hands. A mixed grip will help a lot with that. As a next resort, I would use chalk to keep your hands dry. Then straps. I would not resort to gloves because it does screw with your grip, and if you're doing high volume, it could really tear up your hands. Iron rubbing against the gloves rubbing against your hands is even worse than just iron against your hands.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    mmm gloves are bad mmmkkayyyy.

Seriously though...

Mixed Grip
    Chalk
    Double Overhand Hook Grip (if you can tolerate the pain)
    Grip strengthening exercises - Barbell holds, farmers walks with dumbbells or trap bar etc, plate holds.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

1.) Mixed grip - I prefer this for heavier sets (1-3 reps) you have one hand as normal and the other hand turned away from you going under the bar. It's much easier to keep a hold of the bar but straps for higher reps is definately my preffered method

2.) Chalk - Normal or liquid chalk helps a lot with grip, this would be my number one extra for deadlifts

3.) Straps - While doing higher reps on deadlifts your grip can go a lot quicker than when you hit failure. Straps will help you keep a hold of the bar for longer

this- only I edited for order of progression. Straps should be a last resort.

Also add grip strength to your training.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Use straps. Ask a trainer how to get started. Basically, you slide your hand through a loop, then wrap the strap around the bar, and hold the end with the bar. The other option is to use hooks, which are attached to a strap. I like the straps. You might also work on some grip-strengthening exercises. Part of the challenge when lifting free weights is the grip. Keep up the good work!

OP, don't wear straps. Just focus on grip strength. I doubt you are lifting a massive amount of weight so you probably don't even need chalk or an over/under grip yet. A towel to keep your hands dry if you sweat a lot might be helpful but just hold the bar with no gloves and a double overhand grip. Squeeze the bar hard like you're trying to crush it in your hands. Your hands will grow stronger very quickly.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

OP, don't wear straps. Just focus on grip strength. I doubt you are lifting a massive amount of weight so you probably don't even need chalk or an over/under grip yet. A towel to keep your hands dry if you sweat a lot might be helpful but just hold the bar with no gloves and a double overhand grip. Squeeze the bar hard like you're trying to crush it in your hands. Your hands will grow stronger very quickly.

Thanks for the advice - I did just read that straps, whilst helping with grip, do not help with grip strength as the wrists take a lot of the flack. Going to play around with grip positions and will definitely start exercises to strengthen my grip, which is something I have always struggled with.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Straps + mixed grip. Be careful using straps with a standard overhand grip as the bar can 'unwind' out of the straps.
  • jmill434
    jmill434 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1. Ditch the gloves
    2. Chaulk up
    3. Use alternating grip (one overhand,one underhand)
    4. You don't need straps, you need to stengthen your grip by repeating steps 1-3.