Post 5K Training - Very slow 5K

Options
kjarvo
kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
Here's the problem. I can run a 5K without training properly. I've done it about 4 times now. However my time isn't particularly amazing, it's quite slow about 33-35 minutes.

I used to start training over the summer each year and get better quickly, but I often get shin splints so I don't carry on. My last 3 miles/5K I did on sunday and my shins were fine. I have also now been doing insanity/tae bo/Davina most days for nearly 3 months now and my fitness has improved.

2 weeks ago I started the C25K schedule and did week 1s walk 90 secs/ run 1 min x 8. Then when I entered the 5k I skipped to week 4 and did (run 3 mins, walk 90 secs, run 5 mins walk 90 secs) x2.

I did each 5K without stopping but I had in my head 'just keep going', and I more plodded on rather than feeling comfortable with it. I never ran anywhere near the speed I could run if I trained.

I don't know what training I should do. Should I go back to week 1 and follow a plan, i.e. run (rather than plod) for 1 minute then walk and build this up, or skip to week 4 and run slightly slower than week 1 but have walking breaks to keep my speed more consistant. Or should I acknowledge that I can run a 5k and build on that with a couch to 10k plan or 5k-10k plan, or keep running 5ks with my own breaks in. I am not sure what I should train.

Thanks

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Are you overweight? If so, losing weight in the process will naturally help.

Other than this. I wouldnt worry about any form of specific training at your stage. You can probably just improve your times by just practising your 5k runs. Get a GPS app/watch if you havent got one already e.g. Runkeeper is a good app. At the end of your runs note your pace or minutes per mile and then when you are running the next time you can push yourself accordingly to beat your time by seeing in play whether you are going too slow/too fast.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to have a 30ish minute 5K time!!! That's a great time!!! But my 2 cents says you should just follow the program as it's meant to be used. Start at W1 (or W2, whatever), BUT then get the 3 sessions in each week, following the plan you are using. Your shins could be hurting because of the stress/not being properly trained to run that far or fast. And/or it's your running shoes- as in they may not be "fitted" to your feet/running style.
  • kjarvo
    Options

Other than this. I wouldnt worry about any form of specific training at your stage. You can probably just improve your times by just practising your 5k runs. Get a GPS app/watch if you havent got one already e.g. Runkeeper is a good app. At the end of your runs note your pace or minutes per mile and then when you are running the next time you can push yourself accordingly to beat your time by seeing in play whether you are going too slow/too fast.

I'm about 9 pounds away from a 'healthy weight'. Does runkeeper automatically log where you run? I normally work it out afterwards using google maps, but obviously I would prefer something that does it automatically.

Do you think I should continue running around 5ks then rather than start again at shorter distances but faster?
  • kjarvo
    Options
    I would LOVE to have a 30ish minute 5K time!!! That's a great time!!! But my 2 cents says you should just follow the program as it's meant to be used. Start at W1 (or W2, whatever), BUT then get the 3 sessions in each week, following the plan you are using. Your shins could be hurting because of the stress/not being properly trained to run that far or fast. And/or it's your running shoes- as in they may not be "fitted" to your feet/running style.

I don't know if it is my trainers. I have had problems with my shins for about 10 years. They are worse when I walk quickly and they got really bad a few years ago when I was walking quickly to catch a train. They aren't normally as bad now and only hurt occasionally when I run. I think tap dancing didn't help either.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

No kidding, right? I run 3 miles 3 times a week and I am running an 11 1/2 minute mile, so it takes me 34 1/2 minutes. And I am totally happy with that!

And I agree that doing the C25K program is the best way to go to keep yourself from being injured.
  • getlost96
    Options
    If you have a smartphone try Map my run. It maps your run (duh) and times it (it is free btw)
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I'm about 9 pounds away from a 'healthy weight'. Does runkeeper automatically log where you run? I normally work it out afterwards using google maps, but obviously I would prefer something that does it automatically.

Do you think I should continue running around 5ks then rather than start again at shorter distances but faster?

Yes, Runkeeper does report where you run just need to have your GPS turned on. I've found it to be semi close to accurate but not spot on but it works well for training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem. I can run a 5K without training properly.

That's not a problem
    However my time isn't particularly amazing, it's quite slow about 33-35 minutes.

That's not a problem either, however I understand the question is about improving that.
    .....but I often get shin splints so I don't carry on.

OK, lower leg pain, whether shin-splints or something else, is an issue and resolving it is the key to improvement. I used to suffer shin splints, the pain resembled someone sticking a knife in my leg and moving it around. Completely debilitating.

What I've found with C25K is that it helped a lot, by progressing slowly to the continuous run I avoided bringing on the shin splints and conditioned my legs better. One of the better treatments for shin-splints is about balancing the muscles and taking time, using the run/ walk intervals, meant that happened.

I would suggest that you recover back to the plan, to mitigate for the risk of exacerbating the leg pain again.

Improving your speed is something that'll take more time again, and largely it's a result of putting the miles under your feet. Once you can comfortably run 5K consistencly, then start building up to 10K. You'll find that your speed at the shorter distance improves quite a bit that way. Once you're more experienced you can start playing with speed work. You don't gt huge benefit from that initially, but it is quite fun, so you might want to introduce it earlier.

There is a C25K group, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k- and a Bridge to 10K group, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/543-bridge-to-10k that you might find useful.

I would second the view on using some form of tracker to monitor your performance, I use Runkeeper and Endomondo, but there are alternatives.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like MapMyRun for tracking my runs but I can head towards the obsessive point when checking my splits, MapMyRun will show you the distance, total time and average pace, you can then check the other screens to seen the total ascent and also the split times of each mile.

I would also second getting your gait analysis done and getting fitted properly for appropriate trainers (road running or trail running), trainers only have a life of about 400-600miles, maybe they are at the end of their life??
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    Girl running 5k in almost half an hour is amazing! I wish I could do that!
    I am not even overweight and I run just 3k in 35 minutes, if I'd push myself I could do it in 25-30 but noooo less lol.
    You can be proud of how fast you can run.