Going grociery shopping tonight: What is your go to staple?

Options
13»

Replies

• JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Low calorie hummus and mini carrots.....feels you up!

If these felt me up, I would buy them more often :p
    Glad I could (by accident) add some levity to a Monday! ;-)
  • Arachnapheria
    Arachnapheria Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dried beans in all colours shapes and sizes!

I have about 10 different kinds in the cupboard and use 1 pretty much every day. If you're not sure what to do with them then I wholly recommend The Great Vegan Bean Book as it has everything from soups to curry to... well... pretty much everything! I never get bored with the recipes and they are super easy to make too :)
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eggs! I love eggs in every way and they can be awesome for a really quick dinner.

Canned beans, especially black beans. My hubby makes amazing black bean tacos which are really satisfying but not ridiculously high calorie

Whole roast chickens. I love em!! I usually strip the meat from the chicken and freeze it, then break off pieces to toss in things as I need it. Chicken tacos, stir fry, chicken fried rice, soups etc etc. So long as I'm measuring how much and what it's going into, it is easy to fit it in to loads of dishes.
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have on hand all the time:

Oatmeal
    Skim milk
    Lots of fresh fruit
    Frozen vegetables (and some fresh, depending what's on sale)
    Carrots
    Hummus
    FF Greek plain yogurt
    frozen fruit
    Pb2
    Tofu/veggy protein

Items I use often but not daily
    Eggs
    Peanut Butter
    Natural almonds
    Dried beans
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oops - forgot mozz cheese!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Vegan here: Almond milk! I use it in smoothies or to drink with a touch of Stevia. Yum, and if you get the plain variety, very low in calories.

Any new fruits in season...I love trying different varieties of apples, e.g. (A fav. dessert in a couple of different types of apples, diced, microwaved, then some almond milk and stevia on top.)

Also, tons of bags of frozen veggies. I know fresh is best, but fresh requires too much prep time for me. I strive for 2 lbs of veggies per day.

On Amazon subscribe and save I have Amy's spicy vegetarian chili and Amy's chunky veggie soup. My favorite meals are always some combination of beans/veggies and having these canned products on hand means I can have that when I'm too busy to cook from scratch.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Fruits--great for a quick snack and for craving sweets
    Popcorn kernals-I use an air popper at home
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    every meal starts from onions and garlic.

I go through a lot of maseca. (corn masa)

basmati rice, split peas, beans, mushrooms, tofu, spices, pasta, tomato sauce...
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    oikos yogurt and eggs
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit (all sorts but a shed load of bananas!)
    Fresh Veg (top of the list Toms, Onions (all sorts), peas, sweet spuds, garlic, ginger)

Eggs - lots of eggs
    Beans (mostly canned)
    tins and tins of chopped toms

Proper milk
    Peanut Butter - with nowt added or taken away

COFFEEEEEEEEEE
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with buying the same thing over and over and over again at the grociery store! What's some unique products that you guys buy consistently that keep you healthy and happy? (I'm a vegetarian :) )

Bags of dried lentils. They cost about $1.00 each and make 5 meals per bag. I cook one entire bag at a time, which cooks in 30 minutes with no soaking, then stir-fry 1-2 cups of cooked lentils in a little olive oil with spice (like McCormick's Perfect Pinch line -- I like the Mexican and the Garlic-Pepper). Add some onions and tomatoes and it makes a fast meal.

One cup of lentils has 18 g protein (the protein of 3 eggs). Many people don't eat lentils and other beans because we lack an enzyme that digests the shell (which causes digestive problems) but you can get around that by adding extra water and cooking until very soft, or soaking beforehand.

My other staples are fresh kale and collard greens. I steam them and just add salt.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot lentils too ... I have a bag of dried in the cupboard .. but keep ignoring them and buy 'wet' ones (just lazy, I guess)... We have all sorts ... but Puy are my favourites.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mince, chicken, eggs, pasta, spaghetti and milk.
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hemp seeds and chia seeds. very healthy fats and complete proteins, and virtually tasteless, so you can mix them into ANYTHING. salads, yogurt, cereal, smoothies, rice, sandwiches... mmmmm
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    and to add flavor to stuff, i love olives, red peppers, jalapenos, ginger root, tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh oregano... one thing i've been wanting to do lately is make my own pesto. all you need is basil leaves, garlic cloves, pine nuts, olive oil, and if you want, a little parmesan or romano cheese. it's not cheap, but it's a great and healthy treat to save up for :)
  • kmtbeaulieu
    kmtbeaulieu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    almond milk, pitas, tortillas,burger buns, veggie burgers, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, seaweed,rice and whatever veggies and fruit call to me in the store

whenever cant think what to cook i make sushi or pizza
  • lauranordersvu
    Options
    Slendier pasta and rice, cans of flavoured tunas, brown rice, VEGETABLES OF ALL DESCRIPTIONS (except potatoes) and popping corn :)