Recipes for extra lean ground beef??

Options
JosieMomGramma
JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
Anyone have a low-cal recipe for extra lean ground beef that does not have pasta in it?? Please let me know the calorie count if possible. Thanks

Replies

• KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I brown 90/10 ground beef with onion and garlic and sprinkle in some Mexican seasoning, salt and pepper. I use it to layer my own taco salad. I put a salad on a plate, add about 1/4 cup of canned rinsed beans (I use red kidney beans) 2 ounces of the ground beef, top with 1/2 grated low fat cheddar cheese, add 2 tablespoon of light sour cream. and top with Trader Joe's salsa. It is a great quick and healthy meal. Be creative with the veggies in your salad. Sometimes I add a few crushed baked tortilla chips on top (additional calories)

Calories=243
    Carbs=15
    Fat=7
    Protein=11
    Fiber=4
    Sodium=438
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    i did a meatloaf...which one pound lean beef ..into 4 servings per the package was like 230 calories then I added egg, breadcrumbs, onion and green pepper and italian seasoning all together it was like 280...nice size portion (like a huge burger) then had a huge helping of veggies on the side. i used better home & gardens cookbook "create your own meatloaf" for the recipe
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Taco salad:

Ground beef: 4 oz - 140 cal
    Lettuce: 1 cup - 8 cal
    Cheese: Cheddar: 1/4 cup - 110 cal
    Tomatoes: 1 - 8 cal
    Taco seasoning: 1 packet - 100 calories
  • MrsBrosco
    Options
    Taco salad with broken pita chips instead of shells lots of lettuce, a little cheese, lots of tomato and a serving of sour cream. I add guakamole and a little Catalina dressing to mine as well.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    check my blog!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I use extra lean ground beef or ground turkey in anything that calls for ground beef... meatloaf, chili, soups, tacos/taco salad)
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question Josie. I use lean ground beef alot. I need some recipes without pasta also. Recipes sound yummy keep them coming.
  • cjemtegaard
    Options
    we really like to make a french bread pizza...i brown the lean hamburger and drain excess fat. then warm up the sauce, usually a jar of heart healthy spaghetti sauce or i throw my own sauce together, with the hamburger. when the sauce is warm we spread the sauce on both halves of the french bread...and then top with a little low-fat mozzarella and bake in the oven until cheese is melted..DELISH! We love it with a great salad on the side or snap peas...yum! ENJOY!
  • kingkimi1213
    kingkimi1213 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight it was soooo good :D

Stuffed cabbage rolls:

10 cabbage leaves

(steamed)

Lean ground beef
    Chopped Onion (1 onion)
    Chopped garlic (1 glove)
    Dash of Cinnamon
    Pepper
    Uncle Ben's 90 second rice Brown and long grain mix
    Cadalita <<< (Spelling?) Tomato Sauce italian Herb

Preheat oven to 350

Steam Cabbage leaves.
    Brown Onion and Galic with a little Pam
    Add ground beef and a dash of cinnamon
    Add the brown rice and half the can of sauce.

Mix together and spoon out onto cabbage leaf roll cabbage leaf up. Then take remaining sauce and pour on top, bake for 10 mins.

Oh for 4 leaves (or however much it is to wrap up the following), 4 0z of beef, 1/2 a cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of rice was 321 calories! And goodness I was sooooo full!

Sorry if my recipe is hard to follow, its my first time writing one :D
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have been eating this a lot recently cause whole foods had a sale on grass fed beef and I bought a ton.

My favorite is my beef and veggie sautee:

Ground beef (actually I use turkey sometimes too)
    Chopped onions
    Veggies (i love it with cabbage, broccoli,frozen green beans, eggplant, chinese broccoli, spinach, etc, all mixed together)
    Salt, pepper, thyme, etc to taste

Start simmering the beef first and then add the chopped veggie mix with a tiny bit of water and cook until veggies are tender. My recipe with olive oil thrown in (though I only need to do that for my turkey) is 250 cals/serving, depending on the meat ratio. Very filling and tasty. I will often make it heartier by adding tofu shirataki, aka miracle noodles as the beginning, which are not pasta and are only 20 calories per serving.
  • karenpinkchick
    Options
    I cook it with tomatoes and crushed pineapple.... Plus with mushrooms, onion, garlic ect... Dont have calories as whenever I cook I do things a little different and make it up as I go along.

Its lovely with baked pots or rice... or on its own :smile:
  • kaunitze
    kaunitze Posts: 2
    Options
    Might try this tonight!
  • kaunitze
    kaunitze Posts: 2
    Options
    Great info! Will try soon.
  • meganac69
    meganac69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is rice okay?
    If so I made a Dirty Rice last night that was pretty tasty, even my husband and teenage daughter raved...

1 lb. 91% lean ground beef (Costco)
    1 large green pepper, chopped
    1 large red pepper, chopped
    1 large yellow pepper, chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 tsp beef bullion
    1 Tbsp Italian Herb blend
    1 tsp ground pepper
    1 cup rice (i used sushi rice since we were out of regular, but any rice will do, white, brown, basmati)
    2 cups water

brown beef with peppers and onions, add tomatoes, bullion, pepper, herbs, water and rice, bring to boil, reduce to medium low for 20-25 minutes. Serves 4-6 depending on serving size, about 250 cal for a 1/6th serving and 350ish for 1/4th serving.
  • HermesTrimagistus
    Options
    I like to make a Mediterranean meatloaf with eggwhites and lots of vegetables but no bread crumbs. You can use what you like, but I usually made it with whole cloves of garlic, kalamata olves, chopped red pepper, chopped scallions and mushrooms. I've also used spinnach, cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and zucchini at times. (I don't know what's Mediterranean about it, but that's what the original recipe was named.)
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I came across the following on skinnytaste.com. Haven't tried it yet but will do soon, sounds delish.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This sounds different , will try it! The ground beef with tomatoes & crushed pineapple & low cal veggies that is!

Thanks for all your recipes many I have already tried, but some good ideas I have not! Keep them coming!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    add some egg whites and bread crumbs to it and season it and grill it for burgers.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I came across the following on skinnytaste.com. Haven't tried it yet but will do soon, sounds delish.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html

I made this Monday (without the cheese on top) and it is DELISH!!! I have been bringing it to work for lunch this week! :O)
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I use lean ground beef (or lean ground turkey) mini meatloaves, meatballs and burgers using the same recipe.

Chop up whatever veggies you like (I have done all of these red, green, yellow bell peppers, zuchini, onions, mushrooms, carrotts, and spinach). Add a squirt or two of ketchup and some salt and pepper (to taste). Then mix and make into shape you want.

- I have grilled, sauteed and baked these.
    - I would add an egg to bind the ingredients, especially if you plan on grilling (especially if using ground turkey as they may fall apart).
    - I have also sauteed the veggies in a little olive oil before adding to soften it up a bit. This brings out the sweetness in the veggies and takes the water out of the mushrooms.
    - When making mini meat loaves, I have shaped into small loaves and stick 1/2 of a light string cheese into the center. The cheese gets melty and delicious. Adds a few more calories as well, but so delicious and well worth it.

You can easily figure out the calories by weighing and measuring the ingredients and adding to the tool.

My family loves these!!! Haven't made this in a while, I think it might be on the menu next week! :)