Weight lifting gloves

Options
My hands are getting beat up. I think it is time I look more professional and get some gloves.

Any one have any cons to using them? I can assume the pros ;)

Any certain brands/types better or worse?

Never had to buy them before :)

Replies

• agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I went to target and bought the mens that they have that fit me (small I think). I didn't like the womans because there was no padding. They also are relatively inexpensive compared do the more professional ones. You can always replacee them with name brand/high end ones later.

It's not really a con, but I don't remember them half the time so I don't get the full benefit.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I appreciate it. Good call on the men's since the industry thinks we are weak ;)
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I originally bought them in the store in my gym, but when they wore out, I ordered a new pair online. I have Flex Sports Neo-Pro sports gloves. They're padded well and have a nice grip to them. They're inexpensive and my first set lasted me almost 5 years before I purchased a new pair a few years ago.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    heh on the professional part.

I would just let them toughen up and get yourself used to it. The gloves often reduce grip and give you less feel for the bar.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Use chalk instead. If your gym won't allow it, check out liquid chalk instead.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    oh- and if you are pushing machines- you have no need for them at all- almost all gym machines have padded handles.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you want to wear gloves then do it. The most important thing is that you're lifting. I wear them for everything but Deadlifts, Barbell Rows, and Olympic Lifts. Totally a personal preference and honestly could give a crap what people think.

Anyway, I've always worn Nike lifting gloves.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I love my versa-grills pro for deadlifts. It's a strap as opposed to a glove. I wear just whatever glove for everything else, no offense to Jo but I like my girly hands. So does my DH for that matter.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Agree with men's gloves. More padding.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    What a weird coincidence!

Friday night I lifted heavy (for me) for the first time in months at the gym. By the time I got home and in the shower, my hands were burning like crazy, so I looked and the skin was almost broken in a few places and they looked and felt horrible. Saturday, I went out and got my first pair of lifting gloves. I also found that the gloves for women were crappy. They were so thin and flimsy - what's the point? So, I just bought some small ones made for men at Walmart for just under $9. I won't be using them until the end of the week when I get back in the gym, but I'm hoping they help. I don't want to just let my hands toughen up or "get used to it" - I like having soft hands that don't hurt! I want my muscles to be sore, not my palms.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of them.

I like me hands to be durable for many things from work to sports, just my preference. They usually don't come in my size anyway as my hands are pretty big...
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Gloves are a personal choice and I don't think there are any negative results from wearing them or going natural. I can understand that girls don't really want big callous hands....Generally, gloves can come with fingers or fingerless, with built in wrist wraps (stabilization) or without. If you're concerned with just doing away with callous hands, then I wouldn't rely on wrist support gloves unless you are lifting heavy loads and have wrist issues. I will also suggest that if you do any pull-ups or body weight exercises link ring rows or bar dips, I find football receiving gloves useful. They have minimal padding, good grip on the bar and save the hands from blisters. Like me, you will probably go through a few brands until you find one you like but I would stick to leather and avoid neoprene (wetsuit) material and excessively padded gloves that separate your fingers from the bar. Some gloves actually make lifting worse. Remember, don't buy gloves because they match your shoes, buy them to make your efficient and strong. Now go get some!!!!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    heh on the professional part.

I would just let them toughen up and get yourself used to it. The gloves often reduce grip and give you less feel for the bar.

^^ This. Lots of chalk and have at 'er. Calloused hands are something to be proud of!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just did my first ever lifting last night for about 10 minutes and I have a small callous on the inside of each hand below my ring finger. Not a girly thing to have. Thanks to the poster for the tip about getting small men's gloves at Target. Works for me!
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    Use gloves if you want. I don't personally use them but I don't get why people nag on others for doing it. Its a personal preference so why judge.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no gloves for me..I am proud of my calloused hands...and my man doesn't mind.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I was definitely interested in fingerless ones.

Maybe I will just get a cheaper pair and see how I like it before I invest in something I don't like to use!

& I will not be matching them to my shoes ... I look like **** at the gym and don't really care haha

I do believe we can use chalk at the gym ... thanks for the tip :) Maybe I will try that first.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    I don't care so much about my hands looking like crap as much as the one I have is starting to hurt...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I love my versa-grills pro for deadlifts. It's a strap as opposed to a glove. I wear just whatever glove for everything else, no offense to Jo but I like my girly hands. So does my DH for that matter.

meh.

I'm not particularly offended about that- more so that callouses are girly or not girly- they aren't a gender specific thing- and the implication that I'm masculine because I do not wear gloves.
    I have worked construction and now I work a desk job- and I lifted then and I lift now. (3-5 times a week)

My hands have never looked like a man's hands- even at their most calloused.

But- people are entitled to do whatever they want- you have to take care of your hands- gloves do not negate this. You still have to take are of your hands.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Gloves can cause more callouses and not be as good re grip than no gloves.

I would look to see if you can use chalk at your gym - it really helps.