X Weight Watcher Members

Options
missfixit4u
missfixit4u Posts: 10 Member
I just joined today, horrified to step on the scale and do the measurements. I have belonged to Weight Watchers in the past and I was wondering how much success have you had if you once belonged and now doing this program? I know it comes down to self discipline like anything and I am up for the challenge!! I know if you bite it....you write it :drinker:

Replies

• HoosierGal209
    Options
    Hello there...I have joined WW many times and had varied success. My problem is that when I got in a rut and was gaining instead of losing, I would just quit going to the meetings. If I would have just stuck with it, I wouldn't still be where I'm at today. Good luck, you can do this!!
  • dani8921
    dani8921 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A year ago I did weight watchers on my own (my mom had everything on the points plan) so i didn't go to the meetings. I lost 40 pounds in 9 months. However not watching what i eat and a bad break up later and I gained back sixty pounds. I was going to try ww again however when i found this site i realized that this would be a better fit for me. I love the barcode feature. And all the info you get.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers in the past and have been successful to a point. I joined MFP when I got to a plateau with WW and wanted to try something different to shake things up. I have stayed on this site, because it is free and because it is easier to think in terms of calories, fat, fiber, sugar etc than points - at least for me!
  • 62karen
    62karen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I too am a past WW member. A few friends and I joined last year. If you stick to the program, you do lose the weight. As you can see, I am now on MFP too. I stopped going to WW due to the price. Couldn't afford it anymore. I do miss the meetings, that to me was a BIG help, getting on the scale weekly helped. Please feel free to add me as a friend. Lets motivate one another and finally get the lbs. off. :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I came here after my work stopped hosting WW sessions. It was getting too complicated to figure out which meeting to go to in my free time (their schedules are so odd) and a friend told me about MFP so I checked it out and was hooked immediately. In my opinion, it's pretty much the same deal. You eat the amount you're alloted based on your personal stats (but instead of points, it's calories) and you earn extra calories through activity. Plus it's free!
  • missfixit4u
    missfixit4u Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!! Now I know I can do it :smile: Looking forward to us all being Losers! :flowerforyou:
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I expect that any program will work as long as you can stick to the program. I did WW for a while and lost at about the rate I expected. Dropped off it and gained back nearly all that I lost. I've been on MFP for the last several months and am losing at about the same rate as I did on WW. I'm using MFP because I personally prefer to see the percentage/calories of macro nutrients more than I want to track overall points. The results tend to be the same for me regardless of the particular program. The community of MFP users is generally very supportive - similar to WW. I did not go to WW meetings so no difference there either. If paying for service motivates you (i.e., "just paid $18/month for this service I guess I better use it"), then WW is probably the better bet. It was not a factor for me so MFP is just at "motivating."
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to do W.W. I am still technically a lifetime member, I guess. I lost 30 lbs with WW about 5 or 6 years ago. Sadly, over the last few years I've managed to 'find' 15 of those pounds. :wink: Not WW's fault, it's all mine! When I decided I needed to take care of this before I find the other 15 lbs, and perhaps a few of 'their' friends, I decided to try MFP instead. I find it just as easy to count calories as it was to count points, in fact easier in some respects. I have a pretty small amount that I wanted to lose, so a free program was definitely more appealing to me. I've lost about 7 lbs in the last 2.5 months and I have 6 more to go to hit my goal. Generally speaking, I think success comes from within, and as long as you're committed and honest with yourself, you will succeed on any program. Best of luck to you.
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I lost about 70lbs doing WW two years ago but have since gained half back. I wanted to give MFP a shot first. I'm about a week in on MFP and really like it. The community seems more active and counting calories really keeps you honest. I never liked how fruits and veg didn't count on WW. I also prefer seeing more detailed info on sodium, carbs and protein that MFP gives you. Feel free to add me! :)
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifetime member of weight watchers. When they switched over to counting points, I left. I was more comfortable counting servings. I like the MFP community and how I can keep track of calories.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on WW and then gained it back because I struggled to maintain it. Then WW changed their points plan and I hate it. I hate that the online tools have so few items. I feel like I'm constantly having to enter data, which is already preloaded on MFP. So, I switched to MFP and like it much better.
  • sonyapowell
    sonyapowell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love how MFP works, I love that I just plug and chug. I have friends both cyber and physical on here. I was an OA member and are line was.....it works if you work it.
  • mrspejones
    mrspejones Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I, too, am and "ex-WW" Member. I feel like myfitnesspal is a fantastic way to keep track. While I haven't lost all of the weight that I would like to, I know and understand what needs to be done in order to obtain my goal. Myfitnesspal allows me to keep track and be accountable....now - if only they had a "willpower" button :)
    We can do this! We really can. We know what we need to do. We know what to eat and what not to. We know that we may make a mistake or two along the way and we KNOW that we can get right back on the horse when we do.
    Good luck to you!!
  • Darkchild61
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

I am new and I am worried. I HAD to get on a scale this morning and well..you know the feeling. I knew I had some
    pounds to lose but Great Day in the Morning!!!!
    I just left WW site, was a member SO long ago yet I just feel I can do this without paying someone * at least that is my hope*
    I mean that is $70 I can use to buy an incentive or something.
    I say all that to say as I read everyone's comments, I think I will try here first and say use WW as a last result.
    To be real I need to lose 60-70 pounds and it is LOOMING over me.
    Again..thanks to your comments I think I will try MFP first.
    Thanks for letting me go on!

Here's to losing!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I went on WW for about 6 months before I got married and lost consistently on that plan. However, I stopped being willing to pay the membership fee, so I quit. I didn't come straight to MFP, that happened a bit later, but once I got here I realized that I learned absolutely NOTHING about nutrition on WW. I think the point system is convenient, but certainly not educational. I think it's really important to know WHY these foods are better choices than those foods, what macros are, and how to tailor your daily limits to your individualized goals. I feel so much more knowledgeable about food, not to mention fitness. Plus, MFP is free - can't beat that!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a WW member, and log on MFP.

Several years ago - and I mean about 30 years ago - I joined WW, and back then, you had a certain number of proteins, veggies, dairy, fats, etc. to work in to the day. Then they went to points. In my mind, that's when they "lost me". It wasn't that I didn't know that a steak and side of green beans was better than a chocolate cake....I just couldn't wrap my head around it -and the nutritional aspect.

When I started on MFP, to me that was the missing link. I was then able to see how much protein I was having, how much fiber, how much fat grams, etc. etc. etc. Somehow being able to see that helped. WW currently doesn't offer that. I mean, you can track your fruits/veggies, dairy and water, but there's nothing to count protein or fiber. If fat, fiber, carbs, and protein are the basis for which the points are calculated, why not incorporate them into the process and better educate people about nutrition, etc.?

Anyway - enough for the soapbox. I log my stuff on MFP, then convert that info to WW points. MFP numbers tend to be a little low for me, but WW are the "high end". So that's my range.

It's worked well for me.
  • dinishah80
    Options
    I'm an X weight watchers member too, Im a gold member and lost 3 stone but i found it to hard to maintain my weight, esp with calculating the points. So i'm starting to maintain my weight on mfp for the first day and hopefully will be successful! Good luck :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight with Weight Watchers Online, used WW & MFP at the beginning of maintenance, and got rid of WW etools completely when I was comfortable with MFP. MFP is just the better choice for me maintenance-wise.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am also a current member of Weight Watchers (online only Canada). I had signed up for MFP a few years ago and then forgot. I joined WW about 18 months ago. I lost 50 lbs and then I hit a stall. This was last July, and for 9 months I only moved a couple pounds one way or the other. I decided to come back here to see if I was missing anything. I logged into both and continue to do so. I learned about BMR and TDEE here and have increased my food intake. I am still learning this site and lurking on the boards. At WW, I am always on the 100+ board and have made many friends/family there. I will continue doing both. I figure I am worth the less that $25.00 per month. I do not attend meetings, because at $17.00 per week, that can get pricy really quickly.
  • SunnyStone56
    SunnyStone56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI. Glad you are here. I have done every program out there. And I love MFP. I have been a member of WW (10 times) over the past 30 years. Their program is great. But the component of having MFP is what I needed. I understand that WW has an online program. I did that also. But I truly like MFP's tracking program better. Over the past 2 years I have had great success. You have taken the hardest step, you signed up and made a commitment to yourself. Good job!!!!!!!!!!
    Sunny